PDA

View Full Version : Obama Transition Team Examines Congestion Tax

stephanie
11-12-2008, 01:16 PM
UK congestion charge consultants report Obama transition team interested in tolling.

British newspapers report that President-elect Barack Obama (D) may import congestion charging programs from the UK. Jack Opiola, a transportation principal for the firm Booz, Allen and Hamilton, was hired to design a program to tax drivers at least £5 (US $8) when entering the city of Manchester during peak hours. Opiola told the Manchester Evening News yesterday that the president-elect's transition team approached him for additional details on the plan.

"I was 'noticed' by key people in the Obama campaign and I have been providing input to his strategy team in Chicago, including information about Greater Manchester's bid," Opiola said.

read the rest..
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/25/2594.asp

LiberalNation
11-12-2008, 01:22 PM
the federal government wouldn't be able to really implament something like that except on federal highways which aren't congestion areas anyway. These tolls would have to be enacted on the state/local level. It's a good idea in theory and would reduce some congestion.

stephanie
11-12-2008, 01:26 PM
but, the Messiah said..no new taxes on the POOR..

dang..

Trigg
11-12-2008, 01:27 PM
the federal government wouldn't be able to really implament something like that except on federal highways which aren't congestion areas anyway. These tolls would have to be enacted on the state/local level. It's a good idea in theory and would reduce some congestion.

Do you realize how EXPENSIVE it is to live in Chicago?????????? People commute to avoid the high cost of living. They have a public transportation system, but it doesn't extend into the suburbs.

It costs enough already to drive into that city. The toll roads, on my last trip to O'Hare airport cost me 7$.

Trigg
11-12-2008, 01:28 PM
but, the Messiah said..no new taxes on the POOR..

dang..

Can't require voter ID because that will disenfranchise the poor, but lets charge them to drive to work........good idea.

Immanuel
11-12-2008, 01:33 PM

It is definitely one way to tax the poor without telling them you are increasing their taxes.

Immie

LiberalNation
11-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Do you realize how EXPENSIVE it is to live in Chicago?????????? People commute to avoid the high cost of living. They have a public transportation system, but it doesn't extend into the suburbs.

It costs enough already to drive into that city. The toll roads, on my last trip to O'Hare airport cost me 7$.

and it is still a logical idea to reduce congestion. Whether it's a good idea overall considering other factors I'd say no but then it doesn't matter anyways because the feds couldn't really implement such a system.

Immanuel
11-12-2008, 01:40 PM
For the record, there is absolutely nothing wrong with him looking at alternative taxing methods. Might I suggest he try looking at "The Fair Tax" as well?

I see it as a good thing that he is exploring ideas from the beginning, whether or not I agree with the final outcome.

Immie

hjmick
11-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Hey, Arnold is planning on taxing greens fees, among other things. Why not a "congestion" tax?

Criminy, this is starting to look not so hot.

Immanuel
11-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Hey, Arnold is planning on taxing greens fees, among other things. Why not a "congestion" tax?

Criminy, this is starting to look not so hot.

What there is not already a sales tax on golf? Preposterous!

Or is Arnold speaking of Double Taxation?

Immie

hjmick
11-12-2008, 02:06 PM
What there is not already a sales tax on golf? Preposterous!

Or is Arnold speaking of Double Taxation?

Immie

His proposal is to expand the state sales tax to include previously exempt services such as vehicle repairs, appliance and furniture repairs, veterinarian services, and greens fees. He is also proposing raising the sales tax by 1.5% as well as a $12 increase on car registrations. Even with this added revenue and cuts in spending, the state would come up about $19 billion or so short on it's $28 billion deficit.

I can't get out of here fast enough.

LiberalNation
11-12-2008, 02:08 PM
what's he to do with such a large deficient. The legislature isn't going to approve any more spending cuts so all that's left is to raise taxes.

Immanuel
11-12-2008, 02:14 PM
His proposal is to expand the state sales tax to include previously exempt services such as vehicle repairs, appliance and furniture repairs, veterinarian services, and greens fees. He is also proposing raising the sales tax by 1.5% as well as a $12 increase on car registrations. Even with this added revenue and cuts in spending, the state would come up about $19 billion or so short on it's $28 billion deficit.

I can't get out of here fast enough.

How did the legislature squeeze by on greens fees not being taxed? I must have been asleep when they did that. :D

What is the cost of a car registration these days? When I moved out of there 15 years ago, it used to cost me over $500 a year to register my car. When I registered in Florida they charged me a one time impact fee of about $350, which I eventually got back because the impact fees were ruled unconstitutional. Everyone was up in arms about the impact fees. I thought I got off lucky only having to pay $350 one time. :D

Immie

hjmick
11-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Well LN, education is the next to take a hit. Already this year the California legislature has cut $7.1 billion from shool budgets. There comes a point, in my opinion, that the legislature needs to suck it up and take a knife to all their little pet projects and do what is best for the people they serve. Considering the state of the economy, I'm not sure that taxing everything they can is the best way to help the people. Not to mention that California already has some of the highest taxes in the country.

hjmick
11-12-2008, 02:20 PM
How did the legislature squeeze by on greens fees not being taxed? I must have been asleep when they did that. :D

What is the cost of a car registration these days? When I moved out of there 15 years ago, it used to cost me over $500 a year to register my car. When I registered in Florida they charged me a one time impact fee of about $350, which I eventually got back because the impact fees were ruled unconstitutional. Everyone was up in arms about the impact fees. I thought I got off lucky only having to pay $350 one time. :D

Immie

I think they all play golf so the greens fees were off limits.

As for car registration, it varies depending on the age and price of your car. The newer the car, the more it costs, but the price drops as it gets older. Since my wife handles the bills, I couldn't give you actual numbers.

Yurt
11-12-2008, 02:22 PM
“The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy”.

MtnBiker
11-12-2008, 02:23 PM

Oh sure they can, just look at the general welfare clause in the constitution, it gives congress the ability to tax anything they want in the name of general welfare.

Immanuel
11-12-2008, 02:24 PM
I think they all play golf so the greens fees were off limits.

As for car registration, it varies depending on the age and price of your car. The newer the car, the more it costs, but the price drops as it gets older. Since my wife handles the bills, I couldn't give you actual numbers.

That is what I figured on the greens fees.

I remember the dropping registration fees, but it didn't drop much for the first several years I remember that. Here in Florida, I pay $17.50 per year (or in that cost area) for a normal plate. The special plates are $15 more, I think.

Immie

hjmick
11-12-2008, 02:25 PM

Perfect description!

Yurt
11-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Perfect description!

i don't know who said it, but it is so true

Immanuel
11-12-2008, 02:35 PM

i don't know who said it, but it is so true

Do you play much Sid Meyer's "Civilization". :)

I don't know if this is the original quote, but this one comes from Oscar Wilde.

http://www.vetvoice.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=659

Immie

hjmick
11-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Civ IV: Beyond the Sword is my game of choice.

Trigg
11-12-2008, 02:38 PM
and it is still a logical idea to reduce congestion. Whether it's a good idea overall considering other factors I'd say no but then it doesn't matter anyways because the feds couldn't really implement such a system.

The best thing Chicago could do to reduce congestion on the "bypass" is limit all of the entrances and exists that now exist.

A bypass is supposed to be a quick way AROUND the city. Theirs goes straight through downtown with a million exists and entrances, snarles the traffic something fierce.

Seems his promise to help the middle class and poor is going to the wayside. Sure he may not raise taxes on income, but he's willing to nickle and dime us to death on everything else. What a great guy.

MtnBiker
11-12-2008, 02:42 PM
There is probably alot of congestion on communication systems during peak hours. Why not tax text messages? Why not tax internet communications?

Immanuel
11-12-2008, 02:54 PM
There is probably alot of congestion on communication systems during peak hours. Why not tax text messages? Why not tax internet communications?

There was a false report going around several years ago that said Hillary Clinton wanted to charge 5 cents per email... now there is an idea.

Immie

Yurt
11-12-2008, 03:05 PM
i like civ iv, that is where i heard, spock's voice comes to mind now :laugh2: