PDA

View Full Version : What would you suggest?

Abbey Marie
11-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Thanks to the current mis-election, my husband and I are thinking of buying a gun for the first time. We would only keep it at home, not carry it. We would take a course in gun safety, shooting, etc. There are no young children in our home.

I went to a shooting range many years ago, and did well with a low caliber gun. I forgot what it was, though. I don't think my husband has ever shot a gun. (Though he has been shot, believe it or not).

I would want something we both could use fairly easily. To be honest, I enjoyed shooting in the range, but the prospect of a gun in the house is still unsettling.

Any suggestions? Or should we just forget it?

Noir
11-12-2008, 04:36 PM
oh my,

May I ask how the ellection and the ellection alone has lead to the want of a gun?

crin63
11-12-2008, 04:37 PM
I suggest a stainless steel .357 magnum revolver in a 2-1/2" - 4" barrel.

Thats my recommendation for a single weapon. It's reliable, easy to use and in a stressful situation requires little concentration. I suggest paying the money for a trigger job and get a couple speed loaders.

You can shoot .38 special hollow points in it for less recoil as well as magnum rounds.

hjmick
11-12-2008, 04:50 PM
After Katrina and the chaos that ensued, my wife insisted we purchase a gun for home protection. This led us to buy a 12 gauge. I always figured the best thing for home protection was a shotgun as it is pretty much point and shoot, that and she likes the sound the gun makes when it is pumped to load a shell, in the dark it can be intimidating. A few months later, we purchased a Colt 1911. She likes the gun, but it has bit of a kick for her small arms.

If this is your first gun and a shotgun holds no interest for you, Crin's suggestion is a good one. The .357 is a very good gun and revolvers are simple and easy to maintain, and the ability to use the .38 special rounds is a plus, especially if you go to the range often. We just bought a Ruger and were out the door for under $575.00.

I would suggest you find a range in your area that rents guns a try a few out, see which ones feel good before you decide.

Abbey Marie
11-12-2008, 04:50 PM
oh my,

May I ask how the ellection and the ellection alone has lead to the want of a gun?

Check out the threads on the board about Obama's gun policies. Especially the one that has the agenda that was posted on his own web site.

crin63
11-12-2008, 05:01 PM
I love having a 12ga shotgun in the house and think its a great suggestion that HJM made.
Its my 2nd choice only because of the length and recoil. For most people it is to much recoil to shoot from the hip although with the adrenaline going that might not be an issue. The length inside the house can be cumbersome as well.

My daughter loves my 12ga better than any other guns I have.

Shotguns will also be the last thing that is ever banned. You cant fight back against rifles with a shotgun.

gabosaurus
11-12-2008, 05:57 PM
We have a gun in our home. My husband and I both know how to use it.

manu1959
11-12-2008, 06:05 PM
if obama really goes after guns.....you will all get to turn them in or be considered enemies of the state and the obama police will come take them from you.....

Gaffer
11-12-2008, 06:11 PM
A 12 ga is best for home defense but it is cumbersome. The best way to control it is put it under your arm. It's a point and shoot weapon. But if you want something light and easy to work with I suggest a .38 police special. Four inch barrel. They are relatively cheap as opposed to the 357.

crin63
11-12-2008, 06:24 PM
if obama really goes after guns.....you will all get to turn them in or be considered enemies of the state and the obama police will come take them from you.....

Yep and thats why they should not have to be registered.

LiberalNation
11-12-2008, 07:38 PM
I suggest you're over the top paraniod if the only reason you want to buy a gun is because your guy lost the election.

Besides that, anything you can use properly would work. I wouldn't suggest a long barreled gun like a rifle because they are harder to use in say the tight confines of a home for home protection. SHotguns kick and can be heavy. Expect a bruised shoulder if you spend any good amount of time practicing with it. I always end up with one shooting skeets/clay pigeons.

manu1959
11-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Yep and thats why they should not have to be registered.

he will close gun clubs and stop the sale of ammo......anyway....he will be gone in 4 to 8 years.....

don't see him outlawing guns anymore than bush outlawed abortion.....

do you remember this same thing happend when clinton got in.....

Trinity
11-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Check out the threads on the board about Obama's gun policies. Especially the one that has the agenda that was posted on his own web site.

I second that!

Nukeman
11-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Been looking at the "Taurus Judge" myself. it uses both 45 and 410 shotgun shells yet comes with a 4 inch barrell. Great for home defense. Start with a 410 shot followed by a couple of 45 rounds. HJMICK had a great sight on the gun in another thread... Should look into it!!

Missileman
11-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Thanks to the current mis-election, my husband and I are thinking of buying a gun for the first time. We would only keep it at home, not carry it. We would take a course in gun safety, shooting, etc. There are no young children in our home.

I went to a shooting range many years ago, and did well with a low caliber gun. I forgot what it was, though. I don't think my husband has ever shot a gun. (Though he has been shot, believe it or not).

I would want something we both could use fairly easily. To be honest, I enjoyed shooting in the range, but the prospect of a gun in the house is still unsettling.

Any suggestions? Or should we just forget it?

If you're going strictly home defense, check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrSGiJG25E4&feature=related

crin63
11-12-2008, 08:14 PM
he will close gun clubs and stop the sale of ammo......anyway....he will be gone in 4 to 8 years.....

don't see him outlawing guns anymore than bush outlawed abortion.....

do you remember this same thing happend when clinton got in.....

We did get the assault weapon ban with Clinton and he wasn't as anti-gun as Obama.

hjmick
11-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Been looking at the "Taurus Judge" myself. it uses both 45 and 410 shotgun shells yet comes with a 4 inch barrell. Great for home defense. Start with a 410 shot followed by a couple of 45 rounds. HJMICK had a great sight on the gun in another thread... Should look into it!!

I'm glad you checked it out. I've been eyeballing a Judge since it came out.

5stringJeff
11-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Abbey, my stepmom has had a .38 special for years. You might look into one of those.

Hull
11-12-2008, 09:30 PM
I'd get a revolver over a clip fed pistol, because you can keep a revolver loaded with no ill effects. But if you keep a clip loaded with ammo, the spring in it gets weak over time and the pistol will have a tendency to jam. Something you are not going to want if and when you have a home intruder. You can buy two clips and keep one loaded and one empty, and then switch them out every few days. A hassle, but it helps the springs maintain their tension. For that reason I'd just go with a revolver, and a large caliber one at that. If I'm forced to shoot at someone, then I'm going to be shooting to kill, so I want a bullet that will get the job done. A .44 mag revolver is your best bet. Ruger makes a real nice one for around $300.

hjmick
11-12-2008, 09:44 PM
$300.00? New? Hook me up! Their website doesn't show a price under $800.00. The .357 I just bought was about $550.00 out the door.

For the semi-auto, I hear that Wilson Combat has a magazine that suffers no ill effect on the spring when left full.

Abbey Marie
11-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I think we will try some out, and see what "fits". I don't see myself handling something as big as a shotgun.

I assume you all agree that it is a good idea to buy one, regardless of the particular model...

crin63
11-13-2008, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I think we will try some out, and see what "fits". I don't see myself handling something as big as a shotgun.

I assume you all agree that it is a good idea to buy one, regardless of the particular model...

Of course, its a great idea to buy a gun. :coffee:

hjmick
11-13-2008, 01:04 AM

Of course, its a great idea to buy a gun. :coffee:

Not only does it offer you a sense of security minutes of waiting for the police can't provide, shooting is a great hobby. And, by purchasing a gun, you not only exercise a fundamental right provided you by the Constitution, but you also help stimulate the economy.

Sitarro
11-13-2008, 03:21 AM
Abbey,
A person of your quality deserves the best weapon for the job of defending yourself and your family......... this one seems to be the perfect weapon with the most versatility. I like the fragment grenade cartridge the best, why mess around?:coffee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c&feature=related

remie
11-13-2008, 07:58 AM
You have received a lot of good information Abby. The only thing I would add is that whatever you choose, go to the range and practice, practice, practice. Using a weapon should be second nature. The last thing you want in a stressful situation is to have to think about how to use your weapon. Remember also that if you have a weapon and choose to point it at someone you have to be of the mindset that you will have no hesitation to shoot it. Otherwise the bad guy may take it away from you and use it on you.

Monkeybone
11-13-2008, 08:14 AM
For that reason I'd just go with a revolver, and a large caliber one at that. If I'm forced to shoot at someone, then I'm going to be shooting to kill, so I want a bullet that will get the job done. A .44 mag revolver is your best bet. Ruger makes a real nice one for around $300.

if you want stopping power and intimdation factor, S&W 500 baby! yah! use a two inch barrel for in house use and you can blind him as well if he survives.

but in all seriousness, if you want just for home protection, you can go wrong with the Taurus Judge that was previously posted/stated.

Hull
11-13-2008, 09:34 AM
$300.00? New? Hook me up! Their website doesn't show a price under $800.00. The .357 I just bought was about $550.00 out the door.

For the semi-auto, I hear that Wilson Combat has a magazine that suffers no ill effect on the spring when left full.

There's this little Ag/clothes/furniture/hardware store in a town near me, and they sell guns and ammo. A Ruger .44 mag Blackhawk used to go for $295. Course that's a single action revolver. If you want double action you need to step up to a Super Blackhawk which is more expensive. Myself, I have no problem cocking a pistol. I haven't been in that store for a couple years, but now I'll have to make sure and stop in next time I'm through the town to check out what they're going for now.

Hull
11-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Abbey,
A person of your quality deserves the best weapon for the job of defending yourself and your family......... this one seems to be the perfect weapon with the most versatility. I like the fragment grenade cartridge the best, why mess around?:coffee:

Now that's cool. Enemy pucker factor is a big plus. :thumb:

Abbey Marie
11-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Abbey,

Holy smokes! Imagine how that would tear up our living room furniture? Not to mention our wall-of-stone fireplace. I think it would look like a severe version of Bonnie & Clyde's car- the after pic.

(Thanks for the thought and the compliment, H :beer:)

gabosaurus
11-13-2008, 06:44 PM
I have no idea what kind of handgun that we have. I am not a gun nut like many of the rest of the DP members here. I do know that I know how to use it. And if anyone ever has the misfortune of breaking into our home while I am here, my ability to use it may be the last thing they ever learn.

Immanuel
11-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Abbey,

Holy crap!

Put a sign in the window that says: "Caution this property protected by the AA-12" and only a fool is going to get anywhere near you.

Maybe I should allow my daughters to get a tattoo:

"Caution dad owns an AA-12"

Immie

5stringJeff
11-13-2008, 09:01 PM
I have no idea what kind of handgun that we have. I am not a gun nut like many of the rest of the DP members here.

Knowing what kind of gun you have in your home doesn't make you a "gun nut." It makes you a responsible gun owner.

crin63
11-13-2008, 10:46 PM
I have no idea what kind of handgun that we have. I am not a gun nut like many of the rest of the DP members here. I do know that I know how to use it. And if anyone ever has the misfortune of breaking into our home while I am here, my ability to use it may be the last thing they ever learn.

Shooting them would be more merciful then having them suffer through one of your posts. :coffee: