PDA

View Full Version : AR15 Shopping...

darin
11-13-2008, 03:43 PM
I've been digging around AR15 forums and M4 sites trying to learn my way around shopping for one. I've found a kit (minus lower reciever) for $610, shipped. That'd leave me sourcing a lower and trigger parts.

I'm a graduate (circa 1993) of the Unit Armorer's course, so I'm pretty sure I'd have little trouble assembling the rifle after sourcing the parts. Thing is, when I purchase a complete rifle it tends to come with a hard case, sling, and a couple magazines.

Cost to build: ~800 bux
Cost to buy: ~850 bux (for some I've seen, Del-Ton, etc).

I REALLY want (I think?) a Charles Daly Defense DM4 - but it's several hundred bux more expensive than others.

Any input relating to this topic is appreciated :)

crin63
11-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Assembly is pretty simple.

I bought 5 CMMG lowers for $110/ea. I only built 2 of them, the other 3 are backup lowers in case one of the other should ever wear out since they are aluminum. A steel lower is considerably more expensive in California.

I have a Rock River M4 upper on the one I shoot. My son wanted a traditional A3 look so I built one like that.

I really like the Magpul telescoping stocks.

Spend the money on a good upper. My Rock River M4 upper was $600, Magpul stock was $90, Trigger kit was $50 and The lower was $110. I would add the extended pull pins for disassembly of the upper. If you are going to be using it in a cold climate I have an oversized magazine release I can send you. It's my design and I just got the first batch from the machine shop on Monday.

Check out riflegear.com they have some good prices. Also check MidwayUSA for sales on AR-15 parts.

darin
11-13-2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks a TON CR. :)

:D Great info. No cold-weather down here in 'bama. :)

crin63
11-13-2008, 05:06 PM
I actually designed it for use in California. In order to have a pistol grip and telescoping/folding stock the magazine clip cannot be removable. I made so in California it locks the mag in place and for other areas its an oversize button.

crin63
11-13-2008, 05:32 PM
One other thought that I find appealing about building your own. You save 12% because as I understand it there is a 12% federal tax on a finished firearm where if you build it there is just state sales tax if your state has sales tax.

darin
11-13-2008, 06:11 PM
I haven't seen that show up i my shopping, but will look for it.

Thanks again - which AR forums are you on?

Monkeybone
11-14-2008, 07:16 AM
D, you need to buy the Beowolf upper attachment and then let me shoot it. it's for today's super animals...like flying squirrels.