PDA

View Full Version : Government; Theocracy; Dictatorship; Monarch

Yurt
11-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Government: Theocracy; Dictatorship; Monarch; Tribal; Anarchy...you pick the next the one

Government: in that it is a word used to describe control over a people. it is often associated with western civs. if you have something other than government, feel free.

so while you may want to call the other forms of "governance" government, i ask that you pick a set of rules/ideas/beliefs/etc....that you want to see that would allow you to live your life as full as can be.

if you don't know, say so, because i don't. i see no earthly governence as ever truly fulfulling the sons of god via Adam and Eve. what then....to always give unto to ceasar?

5stringJeff
11-13-2008, 10:14 PM
If I were able to choose/appoint/create the government, it would look like this:

1. You have the right to your life, liberty, and property. That includes real property, beliefs, and ideas. Do whatever you want with it.

2. Don't screw with anyone else's life, liberty, or property.

3. We will provide the smallest government necessary to protect your life, liberty, and property from threats within (police) and without (military).

4. Have a great life!

LiberalNation
11-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Doesn't cover all the problem.

I pick dictatorship, because even if things were bad for the rest of the country I'd still be the ruler and living the good life.

11-13-2008, 10:24 PM
I am not sure i understand the original post.

hjmick
11-13-2008, 10:34 PM
My first instinct was to say that I favor theocracy because it gives my military units extra strength points which makes taking over neighboring civs just a little easier, but that is an obscure Civ IV reference to few would understand.

Not that we have the humor portion of my post out of the way...

I have to say that I kind of agree with Winston, "Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried." Then again, Franklin was spot on when he described democracy, "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch."

All that being said, in a perfect world I would like to see a government that is so good it becomes redundant, unnecessary, obsolete. Or, to quote Johann Goethe, "The best government is that which teaches us to govern ourselves."

manu1959
11-13-2008, 10:44 PM
My first instinct was to say that I favor theocracy because it gives my military units extra strength points which makes taking over neighboring civs just a little easier, but that is an obscure Civ IV reference to few would understand.

I have to say that I kind of agree with Winston, "Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried." Then again, Franklin was spot on when he described democracy, "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch."

All that being said, in a perfect world I would like to see a government that is so good it becomes redundant, unnecessary, obsolete. Or, to quote Johann Goethe, "The best government is that which teaches us to govern ourselves."

i like democracy with religion, science and banks...it filps cities with out war.....

hjmick
11-13-2008, 10:47 PM
i like democracy with religion, science and banks...it filps cities with out war.....

But only those closest to your borders. In the later stages I go with the democracy with religion, youstill get the extra strength points.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/hjmc3rd/Thread_hijack_live.jpg

manu1959
11-13-2008, 11:07 PM
But only those closest to your borders. In the later stages I go with the democracy with religion, youstill get the extra strength points.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/hjmc3rd/Thread_hijack_live.jpg

depends how stong your culture is.....

Yurt
11-13-2008, 11:41 PM
If I were able to choose/appoint/create the government, it would look like this:

1. You have the right to your life, liberty, and property. That includes real property, beliefs, and ideas. Do whatever you want with it.

3. We will provide the smallest government necessary to protect your life, liberty, and property from threats within (police) and without (military).

4. Have a great life!

how would a police force be enough to secure your borders/ideals?

Yurt
11-13-2008, 11:42 PM
Doesn't cover all the problem.

I pick dictatorship, because even if things were bad for the rest of the country I'd still be the ruler and living the good life.

i like your posts :coffee:

Yurt
11-13-2008, 11:43 PM
I am not sure i understand the original post.

within the confines of a nation state, or border land, or utopia, or the land of avatar, how would you choose to rule or how would you choose your leaders to govern? what would make the best society, if you will, on earth?

Yurt
11-13-2008, 11:49 PM

:lol:

no points for civ players

well shite hjmick, what can we say to those quotes? do those quotes bring us any closer to an answer or your idea of what your ideal land/government.....would be?

seems to me, you quotes say:

government, nada, unless it teaches us to govern ouselves, but, a good government is: that is so good it becomes redundant, unnecessary, obsolete.

i don't believe all other forms have been tried, do you?

franklin has a point, not sure it is the point that takes us to the next step.

hjmick
11-14-2008, 12:21 AM
:lol:

no points for civ players

well shite hjmick, what can we say to those quotes? do those quotes bring us any closer to an answer or your idea of what your ideal land/government.....would be?

seems to me, you quotes say:

government, nada, unless it teaches us to govern ouselves, but, a good government is: that is so good it becomes redundant, unnecessary, obsolete.

i don't believe all other forms have been tried, do you?

franklin has a point, not sure it is the point that takes us to the next step.

I think that, in leiu of being able to govern ourselves, the system we have is the best one going, flaws and all.

LiberalNation
11-14-2008, 12:55 AM
civilizations, havn't played that game in ages. DOn't know if I ever bought 5.

Yurt
11-14-2008, 01:30 AM
I think that, in leiu of being able to govern ourselves, the system we have is the best one going, flaws and all.

fair enough

Yurt
11-14-2008, 01:31 AM
civilizations, havn't played that game in ages. DOn't know if I ever bought 5.

5 is not out yet, civ iv beyond the sword, best so far, especially the free downloads at civfanatics

hjmick
11-14-2008, 02:03 AM
5 is not out yet, civ iv beyond the sword, best so far, especially the free downloads at civfanatics

Actually, 5 is a stand alone, it came out last month. It's called Civilization IV: Colonization. The impression I get is you establish a colony under the flag of a particular nation, you grow the colony while keeping the indigenous residents at bay and work to break away from your native country. I decided not to buy it based on some of the reviews I read.

Yurt
11-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Actually, 5 is a stand alone, it came out last month. It's called Civilization IV: Colonization. The impression I get is you establish a colony under the flag of a particular nation, you grow the colony while keeping the indigenous residents at bay and work to break away from your native country. I decided not to buy it based on some of the reviews I read.

smart choice, i bought it without reading reviews. the graphics are improved, but the gameplay is utterly boring. some like it, but the whole idea is weird and the going back and forth to europe screen is boring, prices are always the same....zzzz

i'll sell you my game for fitty cents

hjmick
11-14-2008, 10:54 AM
smart choice, i bought it without reading reviews. the graphics are improved, but the gameplay is utterly boring. some like it, but the whole idea is weird and the going back and forth to europe screen is boring, prices are always the same....zzzz

i'll sell you my game for fitty cents

Thanks, but I think I'll stick with BtS for now and hope for another expansion pack. :coffee:

I hear it's damn near impossible to win as well.

crin63
11-14-2008, 11:11 AM

4. Have a great life!

You mean like America was intended to be?

I agree with Jeff!

5stringJeff
11-15-2008, 09:32 AM
how would a police force be enough to secure your borders/ideals?

That's what the military is for.