PDA

View Full Version : Mayors ask feds for bailout money

red states rule
11-14-2008, 03:45 PM
And it continues. More people with their hands out

Mayors ask feds for bailout money
by The Associated Press
Friday November 14, 2008, 9:55 AM

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Three mayors are pressing the federal government to use a portion of the $700 billion financial bailout plan to help large U.S. cities with pension costs, infrastructure investment and cash-flow problems stemming from the global financial crisis.

Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter traveled to Washington on Friday to deliver a letter to Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson. The letter is signed by Nutter, Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin and Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon.

"We who run some of America's larger cities are dealing with the economic damage wrought by the credit and housing crises as we write this to you," the letter reads. "The economic contraction precipitated by these twin crises is forcing us, and mayors all across the country, to dramatically reduce programs and services for millions of residents we serve."

Last week, Nutter announced Philadelphia would be laying off city employees, cutting salaries, closing most of its swimming pools and shutting nearly a dozen library branches to cope with a $108 million shortfall this year caused by lower business and real estate tax revenue. The deficit could grow to a total of $1 billion over five years.

In Phoenix, the city is expecting a $250 million deficit this year, which could lead to cuts in police, fire, parks and library services, Nutter has said.

The three mayors propose providing loans to help cities pay pension costs. They also want $50 billion in loans for investment in infrastructure, and additional one-year loans to cities unable to borrow cash because of the tight credit markets.

The Philadelphia pension system lost more than $650 million in the first nine months of the year.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2008/11/mayors_ask_feds_for_some_of_ba.html

Yurt
11-15-2008, 12:07 AM
this bailout thing is going to backfire big time. people that are able to pay their mtgs are pissed that their neighbor who can't gets some bailout...

hey, what about my student loan/mtg....do i get a bailout? NO, i have a loan that cannot be erased with a bankruptcy...

maybe i should lobby for the fairness doctrine regarding my loans

red states rule
11-15-2008, 12:08 AM
this bailout thing is going to backfire big time. people that are able to pay their mtgs are pissed that their neighbor who can't gets some bailout...

hey, what about my student loan/mtg....do i get a bailout? NO, i have a loan that cannot be erased with a bankruptcy...

maybe i should lobby for the fairness doctrine regarding my loans

Dems are talking about student loans, credit cards, and auto loans

Hang in there, and you get your slice of the pie Yurt