PDA

View Full Version : Don't like your teenager? Dump him/her in Nebraska!

Little-Acorn
11-14-2008, 04:39 PM
While you still can!

No, I'm not joking.

---------------------------------

http://opinionjournal.com

from "Best of the Web Today"
by James Taranto

Little Girls Get Bigger Every Day

Do you have a teenager you'd like to get rid of? If the answer is yes and you take the question literally, you'd better act fast. The Associated Press reports that the unicameral Nebraska Legislature is meeting even now to amend the state's "safe-haven law":

The safe-haven law was intended to save "Dumpster babies" by allowing desperate young mothers to abandon their newborns at a hospital without fear of prosecution. But lawmakers could not agree on an age limit, and the law as passed uses only the word "child."

All states have safe-haven laws, but in every state but Nebraska, the law applies to infants only.

Since the law passed earlier this year, five 17-year-olds, two 16-year-olds, six 15-year-olds, two 14-year-olds, three 13-year-olds and eight 11- or 12-year-olds have been dumped. And apparently there's no residency requirement: "Five of the children dropped off have been from out of state."

What's more, the definition of "child" apparently is capacious enough to include adults, as illustrated by the opening anecdote:

The mother was running out of more than patience when she abandoned her 18-year-old daughter at a hospital over the weekend under Nebraska's safe-haven law. She was also running out of time: She knew that state lawmakers would soon meet in a special session to amend the ill-fated law so that it would apply to newborns only.

"Where am I going to get help if they change the law?" said the mother, who lives in Lincoln and asked to not be identified by name to protect her adopted child.

Awfully sweet of her to go the extra mile to protect her child. Anyway, if things aren't working out between you and your teen son or daughter, a hasty family vacation to the Cornhucker State may be just the ticket.

And if you're a troubled 17-year-old and you find yourself alone and swaddled at, say, the Great Plains Regional Medical Center in North Platte, CNN.com has some advice for you: a helpful guide titled "How NOT to React When You Get Dumped."

LiberalNation
11-14-2008, 04:56 PM
they didn't take the 18 yo and sent her back with her mother

emmett
11-14-2008, 04:58 PM
While you still can!

No, I'm not joking.

---------------------------------

http://opinionjournal.com

from "Best of the Web Today"
by James Taranto

Little Girls Get Bigger Every Day

Do you have a teenager you'd like to get rid of? If the answer is yes and you take the question literally, you'd better act fast. The Associated Press reports that the unicameral Nebraska Legislature is meeting even now to amend the state's "safe-haven law":

The safe-haven law was intended to save "Dumpster babies" by allowing desperate young mothers to abandon their newborns at a hospital without fear of prosecution. But lawmakers could not agree on an age limit, and the law as passed uses only the word "child."

All states have safe-haven laws, but in every state but Nebraska, the law applies to infants only.

Since the law passed earlier this year, five 17-year-olds, two 16-year-olds, six 15-year-olds, two 14-year-olds, three 13-year-olds and eight 11- or 12-year-olds have been dumped. And apparently there's no residency requirement: "Five of the children dropped off have been from out of state."

What's more, the definition of "child" apparently is capacious enough to include adults, as illustrated by the opening anecdote:

The mother was running out of more than patience when she abandoned her 18-year-old daughter at a hospital over the weekend under Nebraska's safe-haven law. She was also running out of time: She knew that state lawmakers would soon meet in a special session to amend the ill-fated law so that it would apply to newborns only.

"Where am I going to get help if they change the law?" said the mother, who lives in Lincoln and asked to not be identified by name to protect her adopted child.

Awfully sweet of her to go the extra mile to protect her child. Anyway, if things aren't working out between you and your teen son or daughter, a hasty family vacation to the Cornhucker State may be just the ticket.

And if you're a troubled 17-year-old and you find yourself alone and swaddled at, say, the Great Plains Regional Medical Center in North Platte, CNN.com has some advice for you: a helpful guide titled "How NOT to React When You Get Dumped."

In essence according to the law as it is written the state of Nebraska is inviting this type of activity.

As it applies to the 18 year old, she is an adult in most states and mom cannot be to blame. Of course had she addressed certain issues that were probably obvious in earlier years she might not have to be making this kind of decision now!

Abandonning a child is a detestful circumstance! No matter what a kid does, a dilligent parent who truely loves their child will always be looking for that opportunity to turn them around. A turnaround can come at any time IF....the parent is looking for the chance. By giving up a parent is merely contending that they are a worthless parent. I'm sure many of the mistakes in that relationship were made early on by the parent.

What a shame! Good article though.

crin63
11-14-2008, 05:22 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with booting an older teen if they refuse to comply with parental directions after a certain point or based on certain actions of the teen.

A friend of mine before he passed away had a 16 year old son that was a gang-banger. The kid wouldn't do anything the dad asked, he came and went as he pleased, he was a thief, he cursed his mother and his father, he was caught tagging and stealing cars so dad booted him finally. The courts made him take the kid back, wouldn't allow him to swat the kid or do anything that made the kid unhappy basically. Made the parents liable for anything the kid did. The parents had to suffer through threats of violence or calling the police any time they tried to correct the kid.

This kid needed a whipping and if that didn't work, boot him out on his ear.

Abbey Marie
11-14-2008, 06:00 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with booting an older teen if they refuse to comply with parental directions after a certain point or based on certain actions of the teen.

A friend of mine before he passed away had a 16 year old son that was a gang-banger. The kid wouldn't do anything the dad asked, he came and went as he pleased, he was a thief, he cursed his mother and his father, he was caught tagging and stealing cars so dad booted him finally. The courts made him take the kid back, wouldn't allow him to swat the kid or do anything that made the kid unhappy basically. Made the parents liable for anything the kid did. The parents had to suffer through threats of violence or calling the police any time they tried to correct the kid.

This kid needed a whipping and if that didn't work, boot him out on his ear.

It takes a village... :rolleyes: