PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving, Yum!

Kathianne
11-15-2008, 01:30 PM
This is going to be a crazy Thanksgiving, usually we have it at my brother's, but with the nephew undergoing radiation at Mayo there is too much traveling to do. So, we're having it at my SIL's mother's and I'm going to help. Now what to make that 'travels' well? Should be about 15-20, coming and going at various times.

Crockpot for a soup? Casseroles for vegetables. Baskets and cloths for breads. Anyone got some good recipes or further ideas?

Mr. P
11-15-2008, 01:37 PM
This is going to be a crazy Thanksgiving, usually we have it at my brother's, but with the nephew undergoing radiation at Mayo there is too much traveling to do. So, we're having it at my SIL's mother's and I'm going to help. Now what to make that 'travels' well? Should be about 15-20, coming and going at various times.

Crockpot for a soup? Casseroles for vegetables. Baskets and cloths for breads. Anyone got some good recipes or further ideas?

There is a green bean casserole that I love..I'll look for the recipe if you'd like.

Kathianne
11-15-2008, 01:39 PM
There is a green bean casserole that I love..I'll look for the recipe if you'd like.

Sure, that would be great. I figure things are going to have to be in some sort of 'thicker' sauce, or my car is going to be a disaster!

Mr. P
11-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Sure, that would be great. I figure things are going to have to be in some sort of 'thicker' sauce, or my car is going to be a disaster!

This is in a thicker sauce. I'll check for it and let ya know, I just don't remember it at the moment.

Kathianne
11-15-2008, 01:49 PM
This is in a thicker sauce. I'll check for it and let ya know, I just don't remember it at the moment.

Thanks, I'll look for it this evening. Wedding in a bit. I'm trying to get in the holiday mood, been a bit hard. Last year at this time, Jay had just gotten married and it looked like he was going to be ok. Then Thanksgiving Day he told me that the cyst was growing again. Here we are, it's like Groundhog Day.

Mr. P
11-15-2008, 10:36 PM
I know you must have had this..

The recipe is on the can of French's French Fried Onions.

Green Beans
mushroom soup
milk
French fried onions.

Very simple...very good.

Kathianne
11-16-2008, 12:14 AM
I know you must have had this..

The recipe is on the can of French's French Fried Onions.

Green Beans
mushroom soup
milk
French fried onions.

Very simple...very good.

Definitely, one of the very best. I believe it first came out in the late 50's-early 60's. Thanks for checking, a must have.

Mr. P
11-16-2008, 12:17 AM
Definitely, one of the very best. I believe it first came out in the late 50's-early 60's. Thanks for checking, a must have.

Another simple easy to transport one you could do is the cranberry sauce.

Kathianne
11-16-2008, 12:19 AM
Another simple easy to transport one you could do is the cranberry sauce.

I make my own, yummy. If you think of something else, let me know. Saw a recipe for Rosemary roasted winter vegetables, that sounded good too. I owe you:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mr. P again.

5stringJeff
11-16-2008, 09:39 AM
I wish I could help, but I'm a net consumer of Thanksgiving food, not a net producer!!! :D

Kathianne
11-16-2008, 09:41 AM
I wish I could help, but I'm a net consumer of Thanksgiving food, not a net producer!!! :D

Hmm, another. Well as long as you're only asking for a meal, not a bailout. ;)

5stringJeff
11-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Hmm, another. Well as long as you're only asking for a meal, not a bailout. ;)

The bailout comes in the morning, when I ask my wife to watch the kids while I sleep off my Thanksgiving "hangover!" :D

krisy
11-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Thanksgiving is so nice. we are going to my brothers this year. I'm bringing cherry pie and the mashed potatos. I've been looking around on the net for some different recipes. I think I'll try heavy cream instead of milk in them,supposedly really good. My sis in law makes these green beans in the crockpot. It's just green beans,some kind of shredded ham from the butcher,Lawry's......they are sooooooo good for a veggie!!!!

I hope it snows!

manu1959
11-23-2008, 08:33 PM
my dad's mum made a turkey stew one year....

it was sooooooooooooooo good.....

Kathianne
11-23-2008, 09:04 PM
my dad's mum made a turkey stew one year....

it was sooooooooooooooo good.....

Talked to my sil's mother this morning. I'm delegated to bring the family 'scalloped' potatoes, that are really au gratin. Now that seems scanty to bring, while at one time intensive time wise, with mandolin and processor, not so much so. What else do I bring? In usual case, floral piece, however she will already be over the top with flowers. So? I could bring very pricey wine, but would not be appreciated for itself, only for cost. Not doing. So what? An unexpected side dish or dessert?

krisy
11-23-2008, 09:22 PM
Talked to my sil's mother this morning. I'm delegated to bring the family 'scalloped' potatoes, that are really au gratin. Now that seems scanty to bring, while at one time intensive time wise, with mandolin and processor, not so much so. What else do I bring? In usual case, floral piece, however she will already be over the top with flowers. So? I could bring very pricey wine, but would not be appreciated for itself, only for cost. Not doing. So what? An unexpected side dish or dessert?

I like unexpected desserts:thumb:

Kathianne
11-23-2008, 09:26 PM
I like unexpected desserts:thumb:

I'm heading in that direction. An Indian pudding with flat bread? How's that sounding?

krisy
11-23-2008, 09:52 PM
I'm heading in that direction. An Indian pudding with flat bread? How's that sounding?

Sounds good! You must be one heck of a cook!

Kathianne
11-24-2008, 06:23 AM
Sounds good! You must be one heck of a cook!

Been at it a long time. LOL! My mom was kind of a plain Irish cook, roast-well done, potatoes, 2 veggies, bread if you wanted.

My folks took us out for dinner a lot though and encouraged us to try new foods. My kids are more daring than I, they'll try anything. Not me, I have to like the ingredients, then I know I'll like the finished product. I've really never had the desire to bite into raw fish for instance. :laugh2:

Trigg
11-24-2008, 04:09 PM
I'm supposed to supply a couple of pies and the kids want chocolate, very easy to make. My mother in law is making the turkey, sliced ham and chicken and dumplings along with her stuffing.

Two days later we are all meeting at my mothers house and since my sister and I both married into huge families that know how to cook our "family" thanksgiving will be small. I'm making chicken and noodles a sister is bringing deviled eggs and a side of some sort, another sister is bringing pies and my mother is making the mashed potatoes and maybe a turkey breast.