PDA

View Full Version : Election spurs 'hundreds' of race threats, crimes

LiberalNation
11-15-2008, 07:54 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081115/ap_on_re_us/obama_racial;_ylt=AoEqIHBnJLVoeFoTl58RUKEDW7oF

Cross burnings. Schoolchildren chanting "Assassinate Obama." Black figures hung from nooses. Racial epithets scrawled on homes and cars.

Incidents around the country referring to President-elect Barack Obama are dampening the postelection glow of racial progress and harmony, highlighting the stubborn racism that remains in America.

From California to Maine, police have documented a range of alleged crimes, from vandalism and vague threats to at least one physical attack. Insults and taunts have been delivered by adults, college students and second-graders.

There have been "hundreds" of incidents since the election, many more than usual, said Mark Potok, director of the Intelligence Project at the Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors hate crimes.

One was in Snellville, Ga., where Denene Millner said a boy on the school bus told her 9-year-old daughter the day after the election: "I hope Obama gets assassinated." That night, someone trashed her sister-in-law's front lawn, mangled the Obama lawn signs, and left two pizza boxes filled with human feces outside the front door, Millner said.

She described her emotions as a combination of anger and fear.

"I can't say that every white person in Snellville is evil and anti-Obama and willing to desecrate my property because one or two idiots did it," said Millner, who is black. "But it definitely makes you look a little different at the people who you live with, and makes you wonder what they're capable of and what they're really thinking."

Potok, who is white, said he believes there is "a large subset of white people in this country who feel that they are losing everything they know, that the country their forefathers built has somehow been stolen from them."

Grant Griffin, a 46-year-old white Georgia native, expressed similar sentiments: "I believe our nation is ruined and has been for several decades and the election of Obama is merely the culmination of the change.

"If you had real change it would involve all the members of (Obama's) church being deported," he said.

Change in whatever form does not come easy, and a black president is "the most profound change in the field of race this country has experienced since the Civil War," said William Ferris, senior associate director of the Center for the Study of the American South at the University of North Carolina. "It's shaking the foundations on which the country has existed for centuries."

"Someone once said racism is like cancer," Ferris said. "It's never totally wiped out, it's in remission."

If so, America's remission lasted until the morning of Nov. 5.

The day after the vote hailed as a sign of a nation changed, black high school student Barbara Tyler of Marietta, Ga., said she heard hateful Obama comments from white students, and that teachers cut off discussion about Obama's victory.

Tyler spoke at a press conference by the Georgia chapter of the NAACP calling for a town hall meeting to address complaints from across the state about hostility and resentment. Another student, from a Covington middle school, said he was suspended for wearing an Obama shirt to school Nov. 5 after the principal told students not to wear political paraphernalia.

The student's mother, Eshe Riviears, said the principal told her: "Whether you like it or not, we're in the South, and there are a lot of people who are not happy with this decision."

Other incidents include: ~snip

stephanie
11-15-2008, 08:51 PM
pffffeeshhh..

out of 300 million people, and they of course found a few incidents, but yet they are many...

and surprise surprise, they are finding out a few people are STAGING these so called "racial incidents".

give us a break already..

Noir
11-15-2008, 09:20 PM
pffffeeshhh..

out of 300 million people, and they of course found a few incidents, but yet they are many...

and surprise surprise, they are finding out a few people are STAGING these so called "racial incidents".

give us a break already..

Indeed, and out of 300 million people one guy thought it would be fine to have a Halloween decoration of palin hanging by a noose. Ofcourse there are idiots on both sides, but don't try to gloss over one side if you're not prepared to gloss over the other side.

And lol at the 'you've got 3 wives I want one husband' xD

namvet
11-16-2008, 09:14 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081115/ap_on_re_us/obama_racial;_ylt=AoEqIHBnJLVoeFoTl58RUKEDW7oF

Cross burnings. Schoolchildren chanting "Assassinate Obama." Black figures hung from nooses. Racial epithets scrawled on homes and cars.

Incidents around the country referring to President-elect Barack Obama are dampening the postelection glow of racial progress and harmony, highlighting the stubborn racism that remains in America.

From California to Maine, police have documented a range of alleged crimes, from vandalism and vague threats to at least one physical attack. Insults and taunts have been delivered by adults, college students and second-graders.

There have been "hundreds" of incidents since the election, many more than usual, said Mark Potok, director of the Intelligence Project at the Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors hate crimes.

One was in Snellville, Ga., where Denene Millner said a boy on the school bus told her 9-year-old daughter the day after the election: "I hope Obama gets assassinated." That night, someone trashed her sister-in-law's front lawn, mangled the Obama lawn signs, and left two pizza boxes filled with human feces outside the front door, Millner said.

She described her emotions as a combination of anger and fear.

"I can't say that every white person in Snellville is evil and anti-Obama and willing to desecrate my property because one or two idiots did it," said Millner, who is black. "But it definitely makes you look a little different at the people who you live with, and makes you wonder what they're capable of and what they're really thinking."

Potok, who is white, said he believes there is "a large subset of white people in this country who feel that they are losing everything they know, that the country their forefathers built has somehow been stolen from them."

Grant Griffin, a 46-year-old white Georgia native, expressed similar sentiments: "I believe our nation is ruined and has been for several decades and the election of Obama is merely the culmination of the change.

"If you had real change it would involve all the members of (Obama's) church being deported," he said.

Change in whatever form does not come easy, and a black president is "the most profound change in the field of race this country has experienced since the Civil War," said William Ferris, senior associate director of the Center for the Study of the American South at the University of North Carolina. "It's shaking the foundations on which the country has existed for centuries."

"Someone once said racism is like cancer," Ferris said. "It's never totally wiped out, it's in remission."

If so, America's remission lasted until the morning of Nov. 5.

The day after the vote hailed as a sign of a nation changed, black high school student Barbara Tyler of Marietta, Ga., said she heard hateful Obama comments from white students, and that teachers cut off discussion about Obama's victory.

Tyler spoke at a press conference by the Georgia chapter of the NAACP calling for a town hall meeting to address complaints from across the state about hostility and resentment. Another student, from a Covington middle school, said he was suspended for wearing an Obama shirt to school Nov. 5 after the principal told students not to wear political paraphernalia.

The student's mother, Eshe Riviears, said the principal told her: "Whether you like it or not, we're in the South, and there are a lot of people who are not happy with this decision."

Other incidents include: ~snip

paybacks are hell huh?????

5stringJeff
11-16-2008, 09:38 AM
Those racist Southerners, eh? :rolleyes:

First off, I can recall several comments being made over the past eight years about assassinating Bush. Were those comments racist, or acceptable? Secondly, as the quote from Mr. Griffin shows, many see Obama's election as the culmination of several decades of big-government philosophy gaining ground in America.

namvet
11-16-2008, 10:00 AM

those Southerners really get around.

Mr. P
11-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Race baiter, IMO. I haven't seen any violence but I sure have noticed an attitude change among many blacks...and it's not a good change. Confrontational for no apparent reason is the best description.

Here are a few comments on the article I found on USAToday

I read your story dated November 15, "Election spurs 'hundreds' of race threats, and crimes", and I have witnessed the same thing that steve28120 did. I am a student at the University of North Texas here in Denton Texas, and yes there has been a lot of racist activity going on, but not just from the whites. The blacks here chased several of my white friends, and beat sevral of them up saying "hows it feel to be a slave?" The events going on are not just from whites, and almost sounds like you are racist/bias for only covering one side. It is your job to get the whole story, not just this partial reporting that seems to be going on. I myself am white, and for you to infer that it is only white members of society are performing these ignorant acts just shows how biased and ignorant you truly are. Whoever believes that it is only white people performing these racist acts and hate crimes are just white, then they need to go outside and witness the crimes for themselves. You need to up your research skills/do your job, or you need to quite. One sided articles like this one, are the reasons why there is so much ignorance among members of society.

Election spurs 'hundreds' of race threats, crimes, Nov 15, 2:21 PM (ET), By JESSE WASHINGTON

I hope this article comes to the attention of President-Elect Obama. I hope he can inspire people of all color, especially people who have been given a large public microphone, to stop their race baiting. Shame on you.

I read your story dated November 15 titled "Election spurs 'hundreds' of race threats, crimes" detailing racially motivated reactions of a few moronic whites. You should do a follow up story focusing on the reaction of blacks. Here in Gaston County North Carolina they have turned gymnasiums into detention centers because there have been so many fights in schools as a result of blacks taunting whites with comments like "you're our slave now white boy", "we own you now", "you're our n***** now", etc. Funny thing about racism, it doesn't discriminate. Blacks can be racists too! Have you got the stones to do that story?

namvet
11-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Race baiter, IMO. I haven't seen any violence but I sure have noticed an attitude change among many blacks...and it's not a good change. Confrontational for no apparent reason is the best description.

post a link so we can all read it.................

Mr. P
11-16-2008, 11:12 AM
post a link so we can all read it.................

Sorry..didn't think about that..
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-07-18-1294860619_x.htm

Sitarro
11-16-2008, 02:12 PM

Blacks like these seem to think they won something, they didn't. They are no different than they were before the election, they will not get away with anything special because the new President is half African. They won't be receiving an Osama prize in the mail and they aren't any better off because a bunch of Huckleberries voted for him to feel cool. News flash guilt ridden whites, if you think you have to have something in common with blacks to be cool, you aren't ........ and you never will be.

I guess they haven't noticed that every appointee and most of his staff and backers are white people, I wonder why.

Yurt
11-16-2008, 05:53 PM
are there reliable stats to show that he is somehow receiving more threats than any other president? and i am talking serious threats, not drunk idiots mailing in hate letters and threatening obama's home.

Psychoblues
11-16-2008, 11:16 PM
The Secret Service is steadily beefing up for the presidency of Barack Obama. I hope all the criminals go to prison.

Psychoblues

Yurt
11-16-2008, 11:17 PM
The Secret Service is steadily beefing up for the presidency of Barack Obama. I hope all the criminals go to prison.

Psychoblues

if you make one more post about this, be prepared to defend your home

Psychoblues
11-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Are you threatening me, yuk?

if you make one more post about this, be prepared to defend your home

Come on in, cowgirl?!???!?!?!?!???!??!?

Psychoblues

Yurt
11-16-2008, 11:24 PM
no. why would you take that as a threat?

Psychoblues
11-16-2008, 11:32 PM
Because it reads to me like you are threatening me, yuk.

no. why would you take that as a threat?

Psychoblues

Yurt
11-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Because it reads to me like you are threatening me, yuk.

Psychoblues

think nothing of it...just threw the phrase out to see a reaction....reaction given, thanks.

:cool:

Psychoblues
11-16-2008, 11:45 PM
So,,,,,,,,,,,now you want to take all that ol' shit back, yuk?

think nothing of it...just threw the phrase out to see a reaction....reaction given, thanks.

:cool:

Kiss my ass. It's now documented. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Psychoblues

Yurt
11-16-2008, 11:52 PM
So,,,,,,,,,,,now you want to take all that ol' shit back, yuk?

Kiss my ass. It's now documented. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Psychoblues

if you want to know exactly why i threw the phrase out...pm me

that you took it as a threat, proves a point i have been making....pm though, do not want to derail.

Psychoblues
11-16-2008, 11:59 PM
I prefer to keep it on the board as I have projected time and time again, yuk.

if you want to know exactly why i threw the phrase out...pm me

that you took it as a threat, proves a point i have been making....pm though, do not want to derail.

I am not trying to be cute, yuk, and you are not trying to be honest. Those are facts.

Psychoblues

stephanie
11-17-2008, 12:07 AM
the little Marxist and you liberals are going to take race relations backwards, instead of forward....

hope you all feel good about it..

Hull
11-17-2008, 12:29 AM
This little bit of taunting by whites is such a non story compared to the amount of black on white crime (http://www.newnation.org/NNN-Black-on-White.html)that has existed for decades, it's ridiculous. Black on white crime is rarely reported. So this is just the beginning of the liberal media protecting their messiah. People should have had the sense to know even before they voted for Obama, that if you ever disagreed with him, you'd be labeled a racist. Well, it's starting. They're laying the foundation for it with these laughable stories like the OP.

LiberalNation
11-17-2008, 08:33 AM
After Obama's win, white backlash festers in US

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20081117/ts_csm/aaryan;_ylt=ArnVcSItXDqzbmKUSbonM3QDW7oF

The election of America's first black president has triggered more than 200 hate-related incidents, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center – a record in modern presidential elections. Moreover, the white nationalist movement, bemoaning an election that confirmed voters' comfort with a multiracial demography, expects Mr. Obama's election to be a potent recruiting tool – one that watchdog groups warn could give new impetus to a mostly defanged fringe element.

Most election-related threats have so far been little more than juvenile pranks. But the political marginalization of certain Southern whites, economic distress in rural areas, and a White House occupant who symbolizes a multiethnic United States could combine to produce a backlash against what some have heralded as the dawn of a postracial America. In some parts of the South, there's even talk of secession.

"Most of this movement is not violent, but there is a substantive underbelly that is violent and does try to make a bridge to people who feel disenfranchised," says Brian Levin of the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University, San Bernardino. "The question is: Will this swirl become a tornado or just an ill wind? We're not there yet, but there's dust on the horizon, a swirling of wind, and the atmospherics are getting put together for [conflict]."

stephanie
11-17-2008, 09:16 AM
not to worry...once the little Marxist is sworn in, it will become a crime to speak out against him..

than all will be happy happy happy..:dance:

namvet
11-17-2008, 09:20 AM

Psychoblues

now why would they do that just for him??????

Binky
11-17-2008, 02:10 PM
Well, it seems people can't exist without hating, and just because Obama got elected, there will continue to be racism. Having a black president isn't going to change that. As everyone will see over the next six months or so, it's still going to exist. Even he isn't going to stop it.

Personally, I find it all very ugly. :bang3:

namvet
11-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Well, it seems people can't exist without hating, and just because Obama got elected, there will continue to be racism. Having a black president isn't going to change that. As everyone will see over the next six months or so, it's still going to exist. Even he isn't going to stop it.

Personally, I find it all very ugly. :bang3:

that's the real world.

Hobbit
11-17-2008, 04:21 PM
OH NOES!!! A BUNCH OF DOUCHEBAGS ARE DRUNKENLY THREATENING TEH PRESIDENT & HIS SUPPORTERS!!! SUMBODY CALL TEH COPS!!!!!!

When there are manuals written about how to assassinate him and a movie portraying his assassination, then I'll step up like I did when it was done to Bush and call it treason, but this is no different then all the bullcrap that happened in 2004, except now the president elect is black, so everything his name is mentioned at is called a 'hate' incident.

namvet
11-17-2008, 07:53 PM
is it just whites????

live leak (live leak)

Trigg
11-19-2008, 01:17 PM
I wonder how many of these threats are fake!!!!!!!

Articles about blacks sending threatening notes and hanging nooses around campuses have been numerous in the last few years.

A black man from Mississippi has been arrested and accused of sending racist death threats over the Internet to three black students at Louisiana's Nicholls State University.

The FBI in New Orleans said Dyron Hart, 19, was arrested Wednesday. He is accused of sending the messages by way of the students' Facebook accounts. The messages contained racial epithets and death threats and were sent to two black women and a black man at Nicholls State in Thibodaux, La.

The author of those messages cast himself as a white man who intended to kill blacks because Barack Obama was elected president.

Hart told an FBI agent that he sent the messages to "get a reaction," according to the agent's sworn statement.

Although the case sprang from a probe into messages sent to the three Nicholls State students, the FBI agent's statement said Hart also admitted sending the message to students at other institutions, including LSU, the University of Mississippi and the University of Alabama.

http://www.sunherald.com/newsupdates/story/955441.html

Mr. P
11-19-2008, 02:44 PM
I wonder how many of these threats are fake!!!!!!!

Articles about blacks sending threatening notes and hanging nooses around campuses have been numerous in the last few years.

http://www.sunherald.com/newsupdates/story/955441.html

Flash back to 1987..
Tawana Brawley

My opinion...lots.

hjmick
11-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Flash back to 1987..
Tawana Brawley

My opinion...lots.

You don't even need to flashback twenty years.

2006, Duke Lacrosse team...

Crystal Mangum

Mr. P
11-19-2008, 02:51 PM
You don't even need to flashback twenty years.

2006, Duke Lacrosse team...

Crystal Mangum

True but it shows a long history of false claims...I'm sure it goes back even farther.