PDA

View Full Version : Now That a Black Man Has Been Elected President...

5stringJeff
11-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Can we please end affirmative action? There is no reason that a country that professes to believe in equal rights should have any race-based policies in the first place. But now that the US has elected a racial minority to the office of President, to serve as the Chief Executive and Commander in Chief of the military, it's painfully obvious that there is no glass ceiling holding minorities down.

The US should repeal all laws and regulations that mandate any type of race-based reporting, hiring, money-funneling, etc.

Binky
11-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Michigan, where I'm from, ended affirmation about three years ago. Now it's get the job on your own merit, which is what it should have been all along.

Kathianne
11-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Can we please end affirmative action? There is no reason that a country that professes to believe in equal rights should have any race-based policies in the first place. But now that the US has elected a racial minority to the office of President, to serve as the Chief Executive and Commander in Chief of the military, it's painfully obvious that there is no glass ceiling holding minorities down.

The US should repeal all laws and regulations that mandate any type of race-based reporting, hiring, money-funneling, etc.

Ah but Jeff, there has been an increase in the number of threats against PE Obama. Thus we truly are a racist country. There could be no other explanation, right? ;)

crin63
11-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Ah but Jeff, there has been an increase in the number of threats against PE Obama. Thus we truly are a racist country. There could be no other explanation, right? ;)

You beat me to it.

Now they are going to make everything look racist and as a hate crime that they can. Be careful not to run over a black cat crossing the road if you're white, that will probably be spun as racism because you were taking out your racial frustrations on the animal. Theres to much money to be made off of pedaling racial tensions and selling affirmative action. They're not going to give that up.

See LN's thread.
http://debatepolicy.com/showpost.php?p=324208&postcount=1

krisy
11-16-2008, 11:44 AM
I will never understand why anyone ,especially blacks would want affirmative action. There's no self respect in it. No sense of working hard to achieve and getting that great feeling from it. Instead,here have a job because your too stupid to get in on your own but, your skin is the right color so take it.

Doesn't it take away from EVERYTHING blacks have wanted for years?! Some of the powers that be that supposedly represent the black race are so paranoid that there is racism around every corner that they must degrade the whole race with affirmative action.

crin63
11-16-2008, 11:54 AM
I will never understand why anyone ,especially blacks would want affirmative action. There's no self respect in it. No sense of working hard to achieve and getting that great feeling from it. Instead,here have a job because your too stupid to get in on your own but, your skin is the right color so take it.

Doesn't it take away from EVERYTHING blacks have wanted for years?! Some of the powers that be that supposedly represent the black race are so paranoid that there is racism around every corner that they must degrade the whole race with affirmative action.

I think they view it as a kind of reparations and therefore they are entitled to it.

krisy
11-16-2008, 12:06 PM
I think they view it as a kind of reparations and therefore they are entitled to it.

That attitude is why so many blacks and whites are welfare and not doing well. Too many people think they are owed something,and when it keeps getting handed to them,what reason is there to make it on your own?

Kathianne
11-16-2008, 12:11 PM
I really think there are many raised with a victim mentality, they don't see what others have done, are doing, working towards.

It's part of the reason I think the "Joe the Plumber" sliming worked with so many. They don't get 'aspirations, in spite of the odds.'

namvet
11-16-2008, 12:31 PM
and now blacks are running around asking whitey how it feels to be a slave???? HA

LiberalNation
11-16-2008, 12:49 PM
we haven't had a woman prez yet tho, talk to me again once that happens.

stephanie
11-16-2008, 12:57 PM

you could vote for Sarah Palin to be the first in 2012..:thumb:

LiberalNation
11-16-2008, 01:11 PM
if she wins the repub nom, and runs, I will. Doubt that will happen tho, she will fade from stage.

5stringJeff
11-16-2008, 04:19 PM

First, that has nothing to do with race. Second, there are no restrictions against a woman running for President, Hillary showed us this year. (Heck, she almost won.)

But you bring up a good point. Allow me to add to my original post: The US should repeal all laws and regulations that mandate any type of gender-based reporting, hiring, money-funneling, etc.

LiberalNation
11-16-2008, 05:12 PM
affirmative action does effect woman to a smaller degree. Not so much at the college level but in some businesses like ups.

crin63
11-16-2008, 05:46 PM
affirmative action does effect woman to a smaller degree. Not so much at the college level but in some businesses like ups.

In what way does it effect women with UPS?

LiberalNation
11-16-2008, 05:49 PM
promotions to managment.

crin63
11-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Affirmative action kept me from getting any of the jobs I wanted or was qualified to get without a degree. The only reason I was even able to get in my Union was because my dad and his brothers were members of the same union.

I was straight up told that they could not hire me because I had the wrong anatomy and/or skin color.

crin63
11-16-2008, 05:59 PM
promotions to managment.

I have worked at more than a dozen UPS facilities. I have worked quite closely with management and engineering and that's just not true, at least in Southern California.

Personally I wouldn't hire any women to work out in the sort other than gangster types. Except maybe small sort. Nearly all the unload, bulk, load crews are gangsters or wanna be gangsters blowing out their backs.

LiberalNation
11-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Might not be, just have an office worker uncle always bitching you have to be a minority or women to get promoted because he hasn't been. See it's not his "fault" or limitations, its affirmative action holding him down.

UPS in louisville hires a lot of college, I know of some females who got on but don't think they are working the heavy sorting jobs. That's som hard ass work, lift heavey box, sort and throw box in proper container, repeat for 4 hours staight.

5stringJeff
11-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Women are CEOs, COOs, VPs, CFOs, etc. all over industry. The Army even promotoed a woman to four-star general for the first time in its history. I see no evidence that women are being systematically screwed over (no pun intended) in the workplace.

DragonStryk72
11-16-2008, 07:54 PM

lol, sarcasm aside, I think it's more just the natural reaction of his being a dem. Same would likely have happened to McCain if he'd pulled it out.

The thing I've noticed is that the vast majority of people who objected to him, did not at all object based on his race (other than to poke at the race card being in play, and yes, a few buttholes, but that's just gonna happen.), but mostly about being a liberal democrat, just as liberal dems objected to McCain for being a part of the whole Bush & Co. run.

DragonStryk72
11-16-2008, 08:01 PM
The problem of affirmative action is that it looks only at numbers to determine whether a company is "racially unbiased", without looking to the individual employees, and their performance on the job. A guy who goes in to work and bitches every day about his job, or his "not getting a break" is simply not going to see promotion if that company has any care for how its facilities are run.

A lot of what halts the advancement of minorities is this odd prevelance of unprofessional habits and speech that simply get marked as a part of their "culture". Well, I'm Irish, so does that mean I get to drink and swear all day at work? No, of course not, that's stupid, and I would never expect that to happen.