PDA

View Full Version : I, Too, Must Brag

Hobbit
11-16-2008, 02:06 PM
During my time away from the board, I made a little extra spending money by writing freelance for a website called Cracked.com. Here are links to the two ones that I've published:

The first one is 6 Great Martial arts for Killing a Man With Your Bare Hands (http://www.cracked.com/article_16595_6-great-martial-arts-killing-man-with-your-bare-hands.html).

The second is 5 Bizarre Ways the Weather Can Kill You Without Warning (http://www.cracked.com/article_16685_5-bizarre-ways-weather-can-kill-you-without-warning.html).

Both made the front page at Digg, and the second got me a $50 bonus for breaking 250,000 unique hits in a single week. While the editorial staff at the web site does modify the articles somewhat, these two are largely unchanged, other than having a few entries dropped (the martial arts one was originally 10 and included Savate, Pankration, Bokator, and Jeet Kune Do and I had to drop one from the weather article since it didn't really fit).

dan
11-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Hey, that's awesome, congratulations! I read Cracked at work all the time.

Just wondering, how does one even get into writing for that sort of thing? Was it just a cold letter to the editor sort of thing, or did they put out a request?

5stringJeff
11-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Cool!

Des
11-16-2008, 04:33 PM
I liked your article...my dh is a marine :). I'm disappointed you called those of us who practice shaolin kung-fu "wussbags", though ;)

Yurt
11-16-2008, 06:05 PM
impressive

Hobbit
11-17-2008, 01:05 AM
Hey, that's awesome, congratulations! I read Cracked at work all the time.

Just wondering, how does one even get into writing for that sort of thing? Was it just a cold letter to the editor sort of thing, or did they put out a request?

They put out a request for writers last Thanksgiving, so I got myself invited to the writers' forum.

Kathianne
11-17-2008, 01:18 AM
They put out a request for writers last Thanksgiving, so I got myself invited to the writers' forum.

Very cool and kudos to you!