PDA

View Full Version : Saving the US auto industry...

bullypulpit
11-17-2008, 04:47 AM
Is a matter of national security. Without the industrial base the auto industry provides, the US military...particularly US ground forces...will be deprived of the resources needed to fight and win on the ground. Their safety and their ability to respond effectively to the rapidly changing conditions on the modern battle field will be compromised.

So despite GOP objections and decades of mismanagement on the part of auto industry executives, it behooves Congress to act, and act now, to preserve the industrial base that is the US auto industry.

<center><a href=http://www10.nytimes.com/2008/11/16/opinion/16clark.html?_r=5&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin&oref=slogin>What’s Good for G.M. Is Good for the Army</a> - Maj.Gen.(Ret) Wesley Clark</center>

Kathianne
11-17-2008, 04:58 AM
Is a matter of national security. Without the industrial base the auto industry provides, the US military...particularly US ground forces...will be deprived of the resources needed to fight and win on the ground. Their safety and their ability to respond effectively to the rapidly changing conditions on the modern battle field will be compromised.

So despite GOP objections and decades of mismanagement on the part of auto industry executives, it behooves Congress to act, and act now, to preserve the industrial base that is the US auto industry.

<center><a href=http://www10.nytimes.com/2008/11/16/opinion/16clark.html?_r=5&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin&oref=slogin>What’s Good for G.M. Is Good for the Army</a> - Maj.Gen.(Ret) Wesley Clark</center>
BS. The companies can file Chap 11 and reorganize. They'll still be able to produce tanks, etc.

Sitarro
11-17-2008, 06:21 AM
BS. The companies can file Chap 11 and reorganize. They'll still be able to produce tanks, etc.

That's right Kath, Bully is trying to save a bunch of useless unions........ news flash, unions make U.S. companies non competitive, screw them like they screw their own members.

Who could possibly give a shit what that politician and pretend military man has to say, Clark is an idiot and for sale, the dems have bought and paid for his whimp ass.

MtnBiker
11-17-2008, 09:25 AM
There are several foreign auto factories in the US, all the US military would need to do is have a contract with one or more of them, place a team of Q&A people in each factory and build as much as they want. Simple.

Even if the big 3 go bankrupt the factory assests will still be there, it is not like they will evaporate.

stephanie
11-17-2008, 09:29 AM
Democrats and Unions go hand in hand, and the little Marxist owes them BIG TIME..

red states rule
11-17-2008, 09:30 AM

So it is the fault of management BP? I saw Barney Frank on TV saying he will punish management, and go after people making over $200,000/yr

Yet nobody is taking about the unions, and how they have driven the auto comapnies into the ground.

Nobody is pointing out how the Japanese car companies are doing fine here the America

April15
11-17-2008, 10:46 AM
The automakers in the south have pretty much the same benefits and pay as the unionised north. The big difference is the product or should I say the conceived idea of the product. One makes gas hogs that serve no purpose but intimidation while another makes fuel effiecint long lasting cars.
It surly is not the workers, but management, that decides what vehicle is made.

red states rule
11-17-2008, 10:49 AM
The automakers in the south have pretty much the same benefits and pay as the unionised north. The big difference is the product or should I say the conceived idea of the product. One makes gas hogs that serve no purpose but intimidation while another makes fuel effiecint long lasting cars.

30% of all GM car sales are paying for Union costs. They will never compete with Toyota, Honda, non-union shops that are flourishing here in the US.

Hobbit
11-17-2008, 11:08 AM
The best way to save the U.S. auto industry is to let it fail. All the union contracts will go away and companies that can't save themselves will have all their assets bought up by investors who would rather make good cars cheaply and sell them for a profit than run a welfare state. If we prop up failing businesses, we're only telling the market that they can get away with failing business practices.

And the national security thing is bogus. The M1-A1 Abrams tank is made by General Dynamics, a defense conglomerate, the Bradley Fighting Vehicle is made by another defense conglomerate, BAE Systems Land and Armaments, the new APCs are made by Navistar International Corporation, which makes commercial trucks and school buses, and the Humvee line has already been discontinued by GM. Our defense is not going to be compromised by the failure of businesses that make civilian cars for personal transport.

red states rule
11-17-2008, 11:10 AM
The best way to save the U.S. auto industry is to let it fail. All the union contracts will go away and companies that can't save themselves will have all their assets bought up by investors who would rather make good cars cheaply and sell them for a profit than run a welfare state. If we prop up failing businesses, we're only telling the market that they can get away with failing business practices.

And the national security thing is bogus. The M1-A1 Abrams tank is made by General Dynamics, a defense conglomerate, the Bradley Fighting Vehicle is made by another defense conglomerate, BAE Systems Land and Armaments, the new APCs are made by Navistar International Corporation, which makes commercial trucks and school buses, and the Humvee line has already been discontinued by GM. Our defense is not going to be compromised by the failure of businesses that make civilian cars for personal transport.

Let the Big Three file for bankruptcy, restructure, and go non union

Here is one of the big factors as to why they can't compete

http://nospeedbumps.com/?p=606

Mr. P
11-17-2008, 11:21 AM
The medicine to fix failing business is going to be hard to swallow. There will be a ripple affect in the economy just like there is right now with the real estate market. BUT in 5 yrs after a rebirth the auto industry will come back lean and mean, not fat an lazy like they've been for the last 30 yrs.

That's my 2 cents.

red states rule
11-17-2008, 11:23 AM
The medicine to fix failing business is going to be hard to swallow. There will be a ripple affect in the economy just like there is right now with the real estate market. BUT in 5 yrs after a rebirth the auto industry will come back lean and mean, not fat an lazy like they've been for the last 30 yrs.

That's my 2 cents.

It's a bailout of the unions not the auto companies

crin63
11-17-2008, 11:31 AM
My very first job as a union construction worker was at General Motors, Van Nuys where they made the Camaros and Firebirds.

Even at 17 years old I was appalled at what I saw. The UAW employees were sleeping in cardboard boxes throughout the night while being paid so they could go work their day jobs.

I had to repair the sabotage created by UAW people who would destroy equipment so everyone could go home for next 12-24 hours with full pay. I was simply amazed that all one person had to do was put 2 screws in the interior of every car that came by while someone else was on the other side putting in the other 2 screws.

Watching the UAW people was actually a good thing for me because I refused to act like them. They disgusted me. I was a union member but I worked my butt off to make my employers money.

Thats not to mention the UAW people tried to kill or injure me intentionally (according to the engineers) for interfering with their primary means of sabotage.

Mr. P
11-17-2008, 11:35 AM
It's a bailout of the unions not the auto companies

IMO it would be one in the same..that's why they need to deal with it alone cept for the option of a Chapter 11 bankruptcy, there should be no bailout.

red states rule
11-17-2008, 11:36 AM
The union workers are overpaid for what they do. It is bankrupting their companies. Thats the problem. Noones saying don't pay them a fair wage or even give them healthcare. What they are getting now is an enourmous amout of overkill that is hurting the auto-industry.

The union thugs have accomplished what they alsways accomplish - they destroy the companies they infest, and rape their workers for as much of their money as they can

I do not care what industry it is; NO BAIL OUTS!

GM and the UAW need to get to the table and work it out. If GM fails the UAW will suffer.

Binky
11-17-2008, 01:57 PM

Actually, the consumers pester and pester the auto companies, wanting them to produce larger and larger vehicles. And because of this you now see Hummers on the road. People wanted to drive what was orginally made for the military.

The companies have been trying to please the consumer by giving them what they've asked for. And since gas jumped higher, they now want to blame the auto companies for producing big cars. Well, duh! You can't have it both ways. Either accept the smaller, compact and cramped vehicles, or enjoy the ride in your huge one. Either way, so long as America has it's head up it's ass and is dependant on foreign oil, gas is going to rise higher and higher. And on occasion, when the oil companies see an opportunity arise, they are going to jump the price to new heights.

red states rule
11-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Actually, the consumers pester and pester the auto companies, wanting them to produce larger and larger vehicles. And because of this you now see Hummers on the road. People wanted to drive what was orginally made for the military.

The companies have been trying to please the consumer by giving them what they've asked for. And since gas jumped higher, they now want to blame the auto companies for producing big cars. Well, duh! You can't have it both ways. Either accept the smaller, compact and cramped vehicles, or enjoy the ride in your huge one. Either way, so long as America has it's head up it's ass and is dependant on foreign oil, gas is going to rise higher and higher. And on occasion, when the oil companies see an opportunity arise, they are going to jump the price to new heights.

Does the public want the same people who gave us Amtrak, to decide what types of cars are made, in what quantity, how much they cost, and what their MPG shall be?

MtnBiker
11-17-2008, 02:14 PM

12 of the top 20 vehicles are from the Big 3;

Following is a list of the top-20 selling vehicles, ranked by total units.

RANK VEHICLE 2008 2007 '07 RANK %Chng
1 Ford F-Series P/U 235,924 290,282 1 -18.7
2 Toyota Camry 198,309 193,900 3 +2.3
3 Chevy Silverado-C/K P/U 197,030 265,941 2 -25.9
4 Honda Accord 166,158 153,431 6 +8.3
5 Honda Civic 164,994 137,288 8 +20.2
6 Toyota Corolla 152,308 165,722 4 -8.1
7 Nissan Altima 133,465 114,318 9 +16.7
8 Chevrolet Impala 122,281 144,541 7 -15.4
9 Dodge Ram P/U 112,795 154,143 5 -26.8
10 Ford Focus 105,499 77,732 15 +35.7
11 Chevrolet Cobalt 93,362 79,257 14 +17.8
12 Honda CR-V 89,017 84,464 11 +5.4
13 Toyota Prius 79,675 76,747 16 +3.8
14 Ford Escape 76,966 73,058 17 +5.3
15 Chevrolet Malibu 74,925 59,627 26 +25.7
16 Ford Fusion 73,197 66,260 20 +10.5
17 GM Pontiac G6 71,062 59,063 28 +20.3
18 GMC Sierra P/U 70,765 84,106 12 -15.9
19 Toyota Tundra 66,278 61,113 23 +8.5
20 Ford Econoline/Club Wagon 63,869 80,641 13 -20.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2008/06/04/088884.html

April15, are you attempting to make the arguement that management of the Big 3 want to produce "gas hogs that serve no purpose but intimidation" and not vecihles that sell?

Binky
11-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Does the public want the same people who gave us Amtrak, to decide what types of cars are made, in what quantity, how much they cost, and what their MPG shall be?

Well, once the companies stopped making the larger ones and then switched to smaller ones for years, people were tired of them and wanting the larger ones again. GM wouldn't have spent the time and money into making the Hummer if the consumer hadn't wanted it marketed. It's too huge. Too expensive and the gas is outrageous to fill the tank. Given that, the only reason for making it and marketing it is because the public WANTED it.

Like any other product out there, the time it takes to make and market it, the cost of materials, wages etc. is all going to result in overblown prices. Just the way it is. They all have to figure in a profit margine, whatever that may be, otherwise, what would be the point of being in business?

Greed is at the bottom of it all. Greed for more money and greed of the gotta haves to show off what they've got.

red states rule
11-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Well, once the companies stopped making the larger ones and then switched to smaller ones for years, people were tired of them and wanting the larger ones again. GM wouldn't have spent the time and money into making the Hummer if the consumer hadn't wanted it marketed. It's too huge. Too expensive and the gas is outrageous to fill the tank. Given that, the only reason for making it and marketing it is because the public WANTED it.

Like any other product out there, the time it takes to make and market it, the cost of materials, wages etc. is all going to result in overblown prices. Just the way it is. They all have to figure in a profit margine, whatever that may be, otherwise, what would be the point of being in business?

Greed is at the bottom of it all. Greed for more money and greed of the gotta haves to show off what they've got.

Mostly it is greed on the part of the unions. The Big Three spend more more on retirees each month than they do on the ones actually working, they also spend more on health insurance than they do sheet metal.

Look at how well the electric car sold. Last I heard the production was discontinued due to lack mof sales

This is an attempt by the left to oversee the auto industry and force them to make cars that people do not want

Sitarro
11-17-2008, 03:27 PM

If American car companies would take a Camry or an Accord and produce cars just like them, why wouldn't Americans buy them? They certainly buy them now. It would also be nice if they would hire some designers that would build cars that weren't so damn ugly, who wants to drive an ugly car? The only reason Chevrolet has stayed in business is the sales to rental car companies and black people......... I don't know a white person that has bought one in decades..... except Camaros, Vettes and trucks. That huge, obnoxious gold emblem is enough reason not to buy one.

Check the total number of real Hummers sold, I think you will find that there aren't that many. The Hummer 2 and 3 are both on a GM chassis, just different sheet metal. The Hummer 2 is a Tahoe and the 3 is a Chevy Colorado.

Mr. P
11-17-2008, 03:30 PM
12 of the top 20 vehicles are from the Big 3;

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2008/06/04/088884.html

April15, are you attempting to make the arguement that management of the Big 3 want to produce "gas hogs that serve no purpose but intimidation" and not vecihles that sell?

But only 7 are in the + range. People don't buy junk or overpriced products.

Des
11-17-2008, 03:41 PM
This is a tricky thing, so I may be "wrong", but here's my opinion:

We depend on our current transportation system to survive. We need trucks, automobiles, etc, to drive ourselves and supplies...our homes are located off roads, our food supplies are...

There exists technology to make cars that are 100 percent solar powered, powered by the wheels momentum (as the wheel turns around, it creates electricity, constantly re-charging the vehicle), electric, etc...but our entire system is dependant on the vehicles we have now and oil. If we eliminate our need for oil in cars, oil companies will naturally suffer. We can't do it 100 percent (asphault (sp), plastics, etc), but without gas powering our vehicles,there won't be a market for an energy source. I'm guessing that until those who control the current energy sources tap into the profitability of another energy source, we are all s.o.l. Even if those technologies already exist.

Hobbit
11-17-2008, 04:12 PM
This is a tricky thing, so I may be "wrong", but here's my opinion:

We depend on our current transportation system to survive. We need trucks, automobiles, etc, to drive ourselves and supplies...our homes are located off roads, our food supplies are...

There exists technology to make cars that are 100 percent solar powered, powered by the wheels momentum (as the wheel turns around, it creates electricity, constantly re-charging the vehicle), electric, etc...but our entire system is dependant on the vehicles we have now and oil. If we eliminate our need for oil in cars, oil companies will naturally suffer. We can't do it 100 percent (asphault (sp), plastics, etc), but without gas powering our vehicles,there won't be a market for an energy source. I'm guessing that until those who control the current energy sources tap into the profitability of another energy source, we are all s.o.l. Even if those technologies already exist.

First problem: A solar car's second worst enemy:
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40386000/jpg/_40386645_cloud_ap_203.jpg

The second worst enemy is the ludicrously low output of solar panels even when the it's high noon.

Second: