PDA

View Full Version : So why do they keep sending those phony Nigerian email scams?

Little-Acorn
11-18-2008, 06:47 PM
.......they keep doing it because it works.

--------------------------------

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,453125,00.html

Oregon Woman Loses $400,000 to Nigerian E-Mail Scam

Monday, November 17, 2008

SWEET HOME, Ore. — An Oregon woman who is out $400,000 after falling for a well-known Internet scam says she wasn't a sucker or an easy mark.

Janella Spears of Sweet Home says she simply became curious when she received an e-mail promising her $20.5 million if she would only help out a long-lost relative identified as J.B. Spears with a little money up front.

Spears told KATU-TV about the scammers' ability to identify her relative by name was persuasive.

"That's what got me to believe it," She said. "So, why wouldn't you send over $100?"

Spears, who is a nursing administrator and CPR teacher, said she mortgaged the house and took a lien out on the family car, and ran through her husband's retirement account.

"The retirement he was dreaming of — cruising and going around and seeing America — is pretty much gone for him right now," she said.

She estimates it will take two years to clear the debt that accumulated in the more than two years she spent sending money to con artists.

Her family and bank officials told her it was all a scam, she said, and begged her to stop, but she persisted because she became obsessed with getting paid.

The scheme is often called the "Nigerian scam" and it's familiar to many people with e-mail accounts. It still exists and it still works.

Spears first sent $100 through an untraceable wire service as directed by the scammers. Then, more multimillion dollar promises followed so long as she sent more money.

The scammers sent Spears official-looking documents and certificates from the Bank of Nigeria and the United Nations. President Bush and FBI Director Robert Mueller were also involved, the e-mails said, and needed her help.

They sent official-looking documents and certificates from the Bank of Nigeria and even from the United Nations, saying her payment was "guaranteed."

But it wasn't and now Spears is paying the price for her costly lesson.

"The hope is [other people] are not going to fall as hard as I fell," Spears said.

Yurt
11-18-2008, 07:10 PM
worked on a case, the guy lost over 200K and would not listen to my boss that this was a scam, he actually believed it was still valid, pretty sad because he took himself and others for an expensive "trip"

gabosaurus
11-18-2008, 07:37 PM
Because there are always people greedy and stupid enough to fall for it.

Mr. P
11-18-2008, 07:38 PM
worked on a case, the guy lost over 200K and would not listen to my boss that this was a scam, he actually believed it was still valid, pretty sad because he took himself and others for an expensive "trip"

It amazes me how stupid people are.

I mean..geeezzzz that this bozo was even able to get 200k to lose baffles me..But I see it everyday. Then I see good intelligent folks that work their ass off that don't have a pot to piss in everyday too..frustrating.

Yurt
11-18-2008, 07:58 PM
It amazes me how stupid people are.

I mean..geeezzzz that this bozo was even able to get 200k to lose baffles me..But I see it everyday. Then I see good intelligent folks that work their ass off that don't have a pot to piss in everyday too..frustrating.

actually a respectable citizen in the community, my boss's theory was that once in so far he became too embarrassed to stop and continued in the "hopes" of getting his money he promised folks. i'm sure it was pride as well, but if i try to be objective and think of this guys standing in the community, i can sorta, not all teh way, see where he kept hoping it would work out in order to save his rep....unfortunately....as the saying goes....then comes the fall

namvet
11-18-2008, 08:14 PM
they actually have a call center over there running these scams.

Mr. P
11-18-2008, 08:17 PM
they actually have a call center over there running these scams.

One on nearly every corner from a report I saw a few yrs ago.

namvet
11-18-2008, 08:22 PM
I used to get a lot of these. but no more. one tip off is the bad spelling.

Mr. P
11-18-2008, 08:35 PM
I used to get a lot of these. but no more. one tip off is the bad spelling.

Same here..not a one in about 2 yrs..now..

Maybe it's cuz I answered one and said that I needed cash money in order to send them money..Had em going for a few days, then they stopped contacting me..:laugh2:

namvet
11-18-2008, 08:40 PM
the big reason they stopped for me is I fwd them to a gov spam email

spam@uce.gov

Said1
11-19-2008, 08:45 PM

An old guy did that here - was told over and over by the police, rcmp etc that it was a scam, wouldn't listen.

crin63
11-19-2008, 09:16 PM
An older friend of mine in his 70's lost allot of money to those scams and still keeps getting hooked by them. He has to have lost $25,000 plus. He borrowed money from everyone he could until his wife threatened to leave him. People are starting to sue him for their money but he has nothing. Its really sad.

Hull
11-20-2008, 12:21 AM
I started emailing them back saying that I was already rich and had millions I wanted to unload on them to help them, and to please send me their name and address and all the crap they asked me for so I could send THEM money. Scams stopped coming after that.