PDA

View Full Version : Video: Portland Anarchists Burning US Soldier in Effigy

stephanie
03-23-2007, 11:34 PM
An LGF reader emailed the link to this video of the Portland anarchists who burned a soldier in effigy. For once, I’m speechless. The photographs were only the tip of the iceberg; listen to what they’re chanting.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=24900_Video-_Portland_Anarchists_Burning_US_Soldier_in_Effigy&only

:pee:

stephanie
03-23-2007, 11:42 PM
Editorial
Rudeness mars peace message
The Portland Tribune, Mar 23, 2007 (58 Reader comments)

If the cause of peace is worth supporting — and we believe it is — then peace protesters must demonstrate the values they promote. The vast majority of the estimated 15,000 protesters who took part in a peace march Sunday in downtown Portland did just that. They were well-behaved, well-intentioned and serious about their cause.

But then there was a smaller group of demonstrators — if they can even be called that — who engaged in numerous actions that violated the sensibilities of ordinary people and damaged the very cause the activists claimed to endorse.

This splinter group of protesters showed its support for “peace” by burning a U.S. soldier in effigy. It exhibited its supposedly pacifist nature by knocking a police officer off his bike — an action that brought out the police riot squad.

Perhaps the most disturbing scene of the afternoon, however, involved the man who pulled down his pants in front of women and children and defecated on a burning U.S. flag. This disgusting act actually elicited cheers from some members of the crowd, but we hope that the emotion it produces in the community is one of revulsion.

Offensive behavior does not advance peace and justice in the world. Rather, it undermines the moral message of peace demonstrators. It leads people to believe that it’s not possible to be both patriotic and opposed to the war in Iraq.

If the goal of peace demonstrators is to influence public opinion and encourage an end to the war, the activists must connect with their fellow citizens — not repel them.

Most of the people who marched on Sunday fully understand this. And by singling out the few who didn’t, we don’t intend to place thousands of demonstrators under one label. But the actions of a few do create a public perception that at least some advocates for peace are anti-American, anti-police and far out of step with mainstream values.

The anti-war demonstrators who behaved responsibly this past weekend have an obligation to denounce — and distance themselves from — those protesters who purposefully offend others and consequently destroy the intended message of peace.

There is comments with this at..
http://www.portlandtribune.com/opinion/story.php?story_id=117459283544877600

Hobbit
03-24-2007, 12:14 AM
That was sick.

It was kinda funny, though, that they found out the hard way that fatigues are flame retardant.

03-24-2007, 12:20 AM
I'm having a difficult time understanding how values can in any way be associated with defication.

Hobbit
03-24-2007, 12:28 AM
I'm having a difficult time understanding how values can in any way be associated with defication.

Defacation can easily be used as an illustration of politicians' Constitutional values.

03-24-2007, 12:31 AM
Defacation can easily be used as an illustration of politicians' Constitutional values.

Or the lack thereof.

Gaffer
03-24-2007, 12:33 AM
I think he was making a statement that he and all the others were full of shit.

03-24-2007, 12:39 AM
I think he was making a statement that he and all the others were full of shit.

Yeah, but after its done, they really arent full of it anymore are they? But yet they are still complete and utter morons.

Hobbit
03-24-2007, 12:41 AM
Yeah, but after its done, they really arent full of it anymore are they? But yet they are still complete and utter morons.

It's the funny thing about crap. The more of it you spew forth from your body, the more full of it you are.

stephanie
03-24-2007, 12:46 AM
I don't know why one of the fathers or mothers that where there, didn't go over and kick that crap back up his ass..

03-24-2007, 12:48 AM
I don't know why one of the fathers or mothers that where there, didn't go over and kick that crap back up his ass..

probably cause then they would have been arrested.

Gaffer
03-24-2007, 01:34 AM
I wouldn't take any kid to a thing like that to begin with. Doesn't say much for parents that attend those things and bring their kids.

Baron Von Esslingen
03-24-2007, 03:26 AM
Anarchists don't care about anyone but themselves. They are the lowest of the low. They certainly don't care about your kids or mine. They are idiots of the first degree. The easiest way to deal with them is to ignore them.

Hugh Lincoln
03-25-2007, 03:18 PM
Anarchist my ass. They're trust fund babies who never did, and probably won't, ever have to work a real job in their lives. You can bet a lot that mommy and daddy will be there with a pricey attorney and a ride home in the BMW if anything gets too heated. The solider they burn in effigy, meanwhile, comes from the working class they claim to love.

gabosaurus
03-25-2007, 11:07 PM
They're trust fund babies who never did, and probably won't, ever have to work a real job in their lives. You can bet a lot that mommy and daddy will be there with a pricey attorney and a ride home in the BMW if anything gets too heated.

Sounds like rich conservative kids who never have worry about military service. Like Bush and Cheney.

Gaffer
03-26-2007, 12:33 AM
Sounds like rich conservative kids who never have worry about military service. Like Bush and Cheney.

Only rich liberal brats like yourself never worry about military service.