PDA

View Full Version : Fireplace police on patrol; smoke can draw fine

stephanie
11-20-2008, 10:39 AM
I wonder if they'll confiscate your fireplace if you are a repeat offender..:eek:

Steve Rubenstein, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, November 20, 2008

(11-19) 16:21 PST SAN FRANCISCO --

The fireplace police descended on the Bay Area on Wednesday.
For the first time ever, residential fires are illegal under a new law, passed in July, that bans home burning on winter season Spare the Air days.

The first such ban took effect at noon. Seventy inspectors from the Bay Area Air Quality Management District planned to spend the day and evening patrolling residential neighborhoods, looking for telltale chimney wisps.

Violators will get warnings by mail. Repeat offenders face fines of as much as $2,000.

The fireplace police say they are determined to keep law and order in the living room.

"We're serious," said district spokeswoman Kristine Roselius. "This is a major health threat. The weather conditions are such that smoke is trapped closer to the ground and anyone with respiratory problems will have a hard time breathing."

With 1.4 million fireplaces in the Bay Area, Roselius said the district is hoping for voluntary compliance. It notes that wood burning produces about one-third of the particulate pollution on a typical winter night.

The district predicts as many as 20 Spare the Air days during the winter season, which air quality officials define as Nov. 1 through Feb. 28. That means it could be illegal to fire up the fireplace as often as one day in every six.

read it all and LOTS of comments..
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/11/20/BAIV147OJ5.DTL

hjmick
11-20-2008, 10:50 AM
Well, having a fireplace is no longer a plus when considering the worth of a home during an appraisal. They used to be good for a grand or two. At the same time they have been able to possibly put a pinch on a couple of industries that create jobs. Nicely done. Don't ya just love the gubment?

Little-Acorn
11-20-2008, 11:21 AM
People in California have been voting for liberals in government for decades now.

They're getting what they asked for.

crin63
11-20-2008, 11:30 AM
I'm just getting my 1st fireplace next month and that sucker is gonna be burning probably 300 days a year. I'll have it going every morning that I have time to so I can sit and read in front of it.

11-20-2008, 01:24 PM
So lets say we have a electic, gas, and oil infrastructure collapse. How many people are going to die because they cant have fires in the fireplace?

Des
11-20-2008, 01:27 PM
I hope no one there depends on a fireplace to keep warm.

Immanuel
11-20-2008, 01:43 PM
So lets say we have a electic, gas, and oil infrastructure collapse. How many people are going to die because they cant have fires in the fireplace?

I hope no one there depends on a fireplace to keep warm.

Are they going to go around and cite the homeless who are burning trash?

I used to live in the SF Bay Area and I can attest that November - March sometimes later can have some doggone cold nights. A fireplace sure helps keep the energy bills down.

Immie

hjmick
11-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Are they going to go around and cite the homeless who are burning trash?

I used to live in the SF Bay Area and I can attest that November - March sometimes later can have some doggone cold nights. A fireplace sure helps keep the energy bills down.

Immie

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." - Unknown

Many attribute this quote to Mark Twain, but there is no evidence to support he ever said or wrote this observation.

Hull
11-20-2008, 02:58 PM
People in California have been voting for liberals in government for decades now.

They're getting what they asked for.

There you go. Precisely. Now, as with California, the whole country is going to suffer much the same consequences.

manu1959
11-20-2008, 04:22 PM
looks like i broke the law last night......

and if it is your only means of heat you can have a fire......

makes me wonder if pg+e isn't behind this to make you use your furnace...

April15
11-20-2008, 07:36 PM
I am thrilled with the idea.

manu1959
11-20-2008, 10:23 PM
I am thrilled with the idea.

i find it odd.....i used to have a fire and not use my fossil fuel furnace.....thus saved money and was more "green"....now i get to spend more money and now i am more "green"......pg+e is richer and i am poorer and i would bet the world is no greener........