PDA

View Full Version : Overpopulation

Des
11-20-2008, 01:33 PM
I was reading something about how our country will soon "need" flying cars because, currently, the roads are becoming too crowded.

Wouldn't it make more sense to try and maintain/slightly decrease the number of children we have?

Do you think overpopulation contributes to some of todays issues, or do you think it's junk science? Do you think it's fair to expect the older population to suffer more with less "young" to support them? What are some things we could do to help curb overpopulation? Would those things be ethical, or neccesary?

11-20-2008, 01:37 PM
Junk science. However, if you want to keep your offspring from being created, go ahead. It just means the world will belong to me and mine.

crin63
11-20-2008, 01:41 PM
I was reading something about how our country will soon "need" flying cars because, currently, the roads are becoming too crowded.

Wouldn't it make more sense to try and maintain/slightly decrease the number of children we have?

Do you think overpopulation contributes to some of todays issues, or do you think it's junk science? Do you think it's fair to expect the older population to suffer more with less "young" to support them? What are some things we could do to help curb overpopulation? Would those things be ethical, or neccesary?

Maybe would put an age cap on peoples lives. Abort more babies. Euthanize the infirm. Execute the lazy and radicals.

I'm sure there's lots of other good ideas out there beside these.

darin
11-20-2008, 01:43 PM
I think it's junk science too. not unlike "man-made" global warming, and darwinism.

Des
11-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Maybe would put an age cap on peoples lives. Abort more babies. Euthanize the infirm. Execute the lazy and radicals.

I'm sure there's lots of other good ideas out there beside these.

How do you feel about Chinas "one child" policy?

MtnBiker
11-20-2008, 01:52 PM

Exactly how would that be accomplished? Would it require legislation? How would such legislation be enforced?

Des
11-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Exactly how would that be accomplished? Would it require legislation? How would such legislation be enforced?

I don't know. Education?

MtnBiker
11-20-2008, 01:58 PM
I don't know. Education?

You want abstience taught?

Des
11-20-2008, 02:14 PM
You want abstience taught?

No, I want to know what other people think about it, because I've heard some really good arguments for both "sides". I don't think there is a way to enforce having less children that I'd agree with, just educate about it, if it were a pressing issue.

darin
11-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Education doesn't solve folks' desire to procreate.

But - again - why throw resources at a problem that doesn't exist?

crin63
11-20-2008, 02:35 PM

Opposed to it!

Des
11-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Opposed to it!

I am too. It broke my heart to see so many parents lose their only child in the earthquakes.

11-20-2008, 06:39 PM

Its a perfect example of why government shouldnt be allowed to power to interfere in our lives to the degree it is.

Abbey Marie
11-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Funny that you should bring this up. The other day I heard Whoopi Goldberg say that we should prohibit people in New York "from having anymore damn kids" until every foster kid and orphan is adopted.

On it's own, I wouldn't put much emphasis on such a throwaway remark, but I've heard too many libs make similar remarks over the years to ignore the trend. Why do so many libs despise the normal aspirations of the traditional family so much?

Nukeman
11-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Funny that you should bring this up. The other day I heard Whoopi Goldberg say that we should prohibit people in New York "from having anymore damn kids" until every foster kid and orphan is adopted.

On it's own, I wouldn't put much emphasis on such a throwaway remark, but I've heard too many libs make similar remarks over the years to ignore the trend. Why do so many libs despise the normal aspirations of the traditional family so much?

Because "they" are not traditional! by their nature they are BETTER than you and I so they know what is best for us and we shouldn't be having so many productive members of society. They prefer the weak minded social service recipient that can be TOLD what to think!!!

crin63
11-21-2008, 03:46 PM
I'm all for adoption and was actually considering adopting recently but I have decided against it. I'm not going to have any agency telling me that I cant swat my kids or discipline in the manner I choose, which is Biblical. I'm also not going to ask the government to burrow as deeply as they possibly can into my affairs.

gabosaurus
11-21-2008, 04:16 PM
The problem can be easily solved -- prohibit conservatives from breeding.

Trigg
11-21-2008, 04:38 PM

All of the industrialized nations are below replacement (2.1 children per woman) right now and have been for the past decade. In fact there are many that have more deaths than births every year and are loosing population. Russia and Japan are two that fall in that category, for many others the only thing keeping the population up are immigrants.

http://www.prb.org/pdf07/TFRTable.pdf

Even in 3rd world countries the birthrates are going down. African countries are the only ones with very high fertility (4 children or more) and they certainly aren't overpopulated, the problem those countries have with feeding their people are the corrupt governments.

There is no such thing as over population.

Trigg
11-21-2008, 04:48 PM

It's barbaric!!!!

Said1
11-21-2008, 06:04 PM
There is no such thing as over population.

Says who?

Trigg
11-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Says who?

Did you go to the link????? Every industrialized country is below replacement, some are loosing population...Russia and Japan to name two.

The only countries with rapidly growing populations are in Africa and that continant is inder-populated.

Said1
11-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Did you go to the link????? Every industrialized country is below replacement, some are loosing population...Russia and Japan to name two.

The only countries with rapidly growing populations are in Africa and that continant is inder-populated.

I don't need to, I'm very familiar with that web site. I don't recall it claiming that there is no such thing as over population or do they?

Also, measuring over population goes beyond merely subtracting the death rate from the birth rate (per 1000 total population in most cases I think).Taking such measures as arable land, employment rates (or unemployment rates) and measuring them against population growth/decline both due to natural causes and immigration can give you different conclusions. In some cases the answer is obvious, although some countries might surprise you given the abundance of useless land they possess.

bullypulpit
11-25-2008, 04:50 AM
The problem can be easily solved -- prohibit conservatives from breeding.

Indeed. Get 'em outta the gene pool before they drag the rest of us down with them. :laugh2:

Sitarro
11-25-2008, 07:18 AM
Indeed. Get 'em outta the gene pool before they drag the rest of us down with them. :laugh2:

It's too bad fags can't breed isn't it bullshit? But you have a great replacement for illiterate self serving voters......... illegal Mexican, Columbians, Guatemalans and other hispanic third world asswipes......... they will make perfect Democraps.

Nukeman
11-25-2008, 07:27 AM
Says who?
Says ME!!!!:dance:

Classact
11-25-2008, 07:38 AM
Indeed. Get 'em outta the gene pool before they drag the rest of us down with them. :laugh2:Actually, it's liberals that are more likely to go extinct... http://media.www.dailycollegian.com/media/storage/paper874/news/2007/10/10/EditorialOpinion/The-Impending.Liberal.Extinction-3022033.shtml

Liberals prey on the rest of society with their abusive plans and especially like to target the youth that are vulnerable to liberalism. They do this because they don't procreate enough to sustain their ilk.

Des
11-25-2008, 11:05 AM
This whole war between liberals and conservatives on this board leaves a bad taste in my mouth, including some of the comments said about both sides. Does anyone here think that they are helping their cause by attacking the other side with such blind anger is helping their cause...or just making those reading question your motives? Honestly...

11-25-2008, 11:36 AM

This is precisely why liberalism is dangerous. Welcome to death camps again.

Abbey Marie
11-25-2008, 01:35 PM
This whole war between liberals and conservatives on this board leaves a bad taste in my mouth, including some of the comments said about both sides. Does anyone here think that they are helping their cause by attacking the other side with such blind anger is helping their cause...or just making those reading question your motives? Honestly...

You have a point, Des.

Classact
11-25-2008, 01:47 PM
This whole war between liberals and conservatives on this board leaves a bad taste in my mouth, including some of the comments said about both sides. Does anyone here think that they are helping their cause by attacking the other side with such blind anger is helping their cause...or just making those reading question your motives? Honestly...There is hardly a person alive that hasn't been liberal at some point in their lives so to smack down all people that currently claim to hold the liberal viewpoint is to the degree of hate is to hate oneself at some point in your life. Conservatives want to rescue liberals from themselves but rarely throw out a float to grab onto. For the differences of both viewpoints are that each side sees themselves a sane person walking by an asylum and each sees the other viewpoint on the inside the fence.