PDA

View Full Version : electric cars.........

manu1959
11-20-2008, 10:26 PM
sf oakland etc are all chasing this electic car thing......great.....

so now everyone will not put gas in their car but will plug thier car into their wall.......

we have rolling black outs now ...... we can't build any new power plants ...... where is all this electricity going to come from ......

Mr. P
11-20-2008, 10:30 PM

so now everyone will not put gas in their car but will plug thier car into their wall.......

we have rolling black outs now ...... we can't build any new power plants ...... where is all this electricity going to come from ......

Not from coal that's for sure..GOOD LUCK WEST COASTERS!

LiberalNation
11-20-2008, 10:37 PM
a couple new nuke plants could power a lot of cars and that's a high yield resource we are not going to be running out of anytime soon. Of course you have to find places to store the used and security but done right.......

manu1959
11-20-2008, 10:44 PM
a couple new nuke plants could power a lot of cars and that's a high yield resource we are not going to be running out of anytime soon. Of course you have to find places to store the used and security but done right.......

build a nuke plant in kalifornia.......:laugh2:

LiberalNation
11-20-2008, 10:48 PM
yeah I know but the rest of the country could benifit from their electric car invention atleast. If someone ever comes out with a practical, cheap, fully functional electric car it will be a mirrical.

Mr. P
11-20-2008, 10:49 PM

I hear thousands are leaving California cuz they can't get electric, have high taxes and life style restrictions out the ass..store it there. Hey, they're vacating anyway.

Mr. P
11-20-2008, 10:51 PM
yeah I know but the rest of the country could benifit from their electric car invention atleast. If someone ever comes out with a practical, cheap, fully functional electric car it will be a mirrical.

They have, but GM would rather build SUVs and get YOUR $$$ to do it.

manu1959
11-20-2008, 10:52 PM

the volt comes out in a year or two....and a bmw mini is due out about the same time......

Yurt
11-20-2008, 11:04 PM

i asked the very same question at a malibu shin dig i went to earlier this year promoting electric cars, the movie shown was "who killed the electric car"...so after the movie (99.9% libs) a QA was given, i couldn't believe no one asked that question

the answer:

it is different, it won't over tax the system, not everyone will plug in at the same time, and when most do, at night, the grid is not overburdened and we must hope for the future, eg, that we can produce better electricity in the future

manu1959
11-20-2008, 11:07 PM
i asked the very same question at a malibu shin dig i went to earlier this year promoting electric cars, the movie shown was "who killed the electric car"...so after the movie (99.9% libs) a QA was given, i couldn't believe no one asked that question

the answer:

it is different, it won't over tax the system, not everyone will plug in at the same time, and when most do, at night, the grid is not overburdened and we must hope for the future, eg, that we can produce better electricity in the future

what about all the "free" plug in stations in parking garages.......park your car....plug it in....go to work.....i see these cars now in the bay area plugged in all day.....

Yurt
11-20-2008, 11:15 PM
what about all the "free" plug in stations in parking garages.......park your car....plug it in....go to work.....i see these cars now in the bay area plugged in all day.....

see, we could have stumped them

my hunch, the answer will be that once the batteries charge it is not draining the full electrical power from the grid

Mr. P
11-20-2008, 11:23 PM
see, we could have stumped them

my hunch, the answer will be that once the batteries charge it is not draining the full electrical power from the grid

I'd say you are correct..at least I'd hope so..heck I have a car battery charger that shuts down when full charge occurs..I'd hope they'd incorporate that into a car charging system.

Yurt
11-20-2008, 11:29 PM
I'd say you are correct..at least I'd hope so..heck I have a car battery charger that shuts down when full charge occurs..I'd hope they'd incorporate that into a car charging system.

yeah, hope so, because let's say we lessen oil use (i am telling you that combustion engine cars are NOT ever going to go away completely [hope], way too much fun and the nostalgia will keep them as collectors) if we consume to much electricity, unless we find better ways of producing it (i like more nuke plants) then we are still hurting ourselves and the electric car will go the way of ethanol gas cars

Mr. P
11-20-2008, 11:34 PM
yeah, hope so, because let's say we lessen oil use (i am telling you that combustion engine cars are NOT ever going to go away completely [hope], way too much fun and the nostalgia will keep them as collectors) if we consume to much electricity, unless we find better ways of producing it (i like more nuke plants) then we are still hurting ourselves and the electric car will go the way of ethanol gas cars

Gotta have more nuke plants..just no other way. The bed wetters just need to accept what must be. This we can't do that anymore but we don't want that is going nowhere. It's time to bitch slap these IDIOTS and move on.

Yurt
11-20-2008, 11:40 PM
Gotta have more nuke plants..just no other way. The bed wetters just need to accept what must be. This we can't do that anymore but we don't want that is going nowhere. It's time to bitch slap these IDIOTS and move on.

nuke plants are far safer than they were 30 years ago and other than a very rare chance of a catastrophic melt down, they are clean energy. there are so many safety features now that even if there was a melt down, it would be controlled immediately. nothing in this life is without harm, even those windmills kill.

Mr. P
11-20-2008, 11:50 PM
nuke plants are far safer than they were 30 years ago and other than a very rare chance of a catastrophic melt down, they are clean energy. there are so many safety features now that even if there was a melt down, it would be controlled immediately. nothing in this life is without harm, even those windmills kill.

Ya shut em down! I hear birds fly into em all the time..ya know at least one must be on the endangered list..can't have that shit! Lets just go without power..works in California. :laugh2:

DragonStryk72
11-21-2008, 12:09 AM
Nuke power is one pathway, and it works quite well (The surry plant down here's been running the past 20-30 years with no real hiccups). I think, however, that it would probably be cheaper long run to invest personally in solar power (meaning individuals, not the government investing). When you get down to it, it ends up costing you about $16 bucks a month, and the addition of the car charges won't be all that much, without the need for so many plants, and reducing the overall number of power shortages.

LiberalNation
11-21-2008, 12:22 AM
problem is we still can't capture enough energy from the sun cheaply to make solar viable right now but a solar car would be cool. If we ever perfect solar most other energy producing forms will go by the wayside.

Mr. P
11-21-2008, 12:23 AM
Nuke power is one pathway, and it works quite well (The surry plant down here's been running the past 20-30 years with no real hiccups). I think, however, that it would probably be cheaper long run to invest personally in solar power (meaning individuals, not the government investing). When you get down to it, it ends up costing you about $16 bucks a month, and the addition of the car charges won't be all that much, without the need for so many plants, and reducing the overall number of power shortages.

Sure it's great for individuals who afford the initial cost and own their property. It's not cheap to install solar on a home. What about the rest of the folks?

Overall I think it's a great way to go...solar does have drawbacks though..ya need that sun..this time of year many in some parts of the country don't see the sun for days on end. That equals zero power.

Yurt
11-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Ya shut em down! I hear birds fly into em all the time..ya know at least one must be on the endangered list..can't have that shit! Lets just go without power..works in California. :laugh2:

and think about all the indigenious gophers, snakes, etc that are displaced because of all the windmills, heck i heard there was some rare, never seen before worm that lost its home to the windmills and is now thought to be extinct

those senators work for us...right...give them one of these to crank out energy

http://www.bicycleseat.org/images/fitness_1.jpg

Nukeman
11-21-2008, 02:19 PM

Try Verticle wind catchers they don't kill the birds and it takes LESS wind to spin them and still makes a large amount of elctricity.

In case you guys missed this post the other day. It has a lot of potential and you don't have the problem of melt down with the larger reactors. Not to mention the security aspect of it is almost nonexsistant..

I
have to say this is absolutely amazing. If our government doesn't jump on this there will be NO doubt in my mind they are more than in bed with the oil industry. I will assume they have dirty pictures and all.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...ors-los-alamos

Quote:
Nuclear power plants smaller than a garden shed and able to power 20,000 homes will be on sale within five years, say scientists at Los Alamos, the US government laboratory which developed the first atomic bomb.

The miniature reactors will be factory-sealed, contain no weapons-grade material, have no moving parts and will be nearly impossible to steal because they will be encased in concrete and buried underground.

The US government has licensed the technology to Hyperion, a New Mexico-based company which said last week that it has taken its first firm orders and plans to start mass production within five years. 'Our goal is to generate electricity for 10 cents a watt anywhere in the world,' said John Deal, chief executive of Hyperion. 'They will cost approximately $25m [£13m] each. For a community with 10,000 households, that is a very affordable $250 per home.'

Deal claims to have more than 100 firm orders, largely from the oil and electricity industries, but says the company is also targeting developing countries and isolated communities. 'It's leapfrog technology,' he said.

The company plans to set up three factories to produce 4,000 plants between 2013 and 2023. 'We already have a pipeline for 100 reactors, and we are taking our time to tool up to mass-produce this reactor.'

here is a link to their web page.

http://www.hyperionpowergeneration.com/

some more links to show this is not just smoke and mirrors.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf33.html

http://www.nuclear.com/n-plants/inde...lr_reactr.html

Yurt
11-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Try Verticle wind catchers they don't kill the birds and it takes LESS wind to spin them and still makes a large amount of elctricity.

In case you guys missed this post the other day. It has a lot of potential and you don't have the problem of melt down with the larger reactors. Not to mention the security aspect of it is almost nonexsistant..

I

really, did not know that, they look like something in my wife's kitchen aid mixer

sear
04-15-2017, 08:49 AM
"and think about all the indigenious gophers, snakes, etc that are displaced because of all the windmills" Y #20

It's soaring raptors that take the brunt of wind turbine wrath. The blades blind-side them, endangering their species.

California DMV Confirms Apple Is Now Permitted To Test Self-Driving Cars, Adds To List Of Companies Testing In State (http://news.google.com/news/url?sr=1&ct2=us%2F3_0_s_3_1_a&sa=t&usg=AFQjCNFcXeY7JlJnnB62Q-YhjdTQLxO-UQ&cid=52779460835028&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.techtimes.com%2Farticles%2F20 4942%2F20170415%2Fcalifornia-dmv-confirms-apple-is-now-permitted-to-test-self-driving-cars-adds-to-list-of-companies-testing-in-state.htm&ei=5yLyWOiBApfD3AGYma3IDA&sig2=zXoBD2Sfv3V7faoESNCCaw&rt=HOMEPAGE&vm=STANDARD&bvm=section&did=45497856925838079&sid=en_us-t&ssid=t&st=1&at=dt0)

<tbody>
Tech Times
- ‎2 hours ago‎

<tbody>

</tbody>

</tbody>

Apple Inc., is officially the 30th name on the list of companies permitted to test autonomous vehicles in California, silently confirming their movements in the autonomous vehicle industry.
Please pardon me. I'm suffering a "senior moment" here.
How exactly does one exhibit road-rage to an autonomously piloted automobile? Instagram?