PDA

View Full Version : Schwarzenegger Wants A Pet Tax

red states rule
11-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Once again, RINO's and Dems will never stop finding new ways to take more of our money

If Arnold is so worried about his deficit - CUT SPENDING. I promise Arnold, it will reduce the deficit

How soon until other liberals want the same tax for their citizens?

LOS ANGELES, Nov 21, 2008 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- In a recent announcement, Governor Schwarzenegger recommended broadening the Sales and Use Tax to include "luxury" items such as veterinary services, which is sure to cause an increase in animal shelter overpopulation. Animal welfare advocates across the state are joining forces and urging all pet owners to take action and contact the governor and state legislature to stop this tax.

"Our companion animals are family members and taking care of their health is a responsibility, not a discretionary spending decision like golf or furniture repair," said Judie Mancuso, president of Social Compassion in Legislation. "No other medical professions were included in the sales tax proposal, and with record numbers of families already making the unfortunate choice to abandon their pets because they cannot afford them in today's economy, the last thing we need to do is increase medical costs."

Due to the poor economy and home foreclosures, shelters across the city, state and nation are seeing an increase in animal intake. This new tax for veterinary services will cause some pet owners to be unable to afford proper pet care and others to relinquish their pets to shelters.

"Subjecting complicated veterinary medical procedures and treatments to taxation would be the same as taxing health care for children in California," said William Grant, II, DVM, president of the California Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA). "What will happen to the sick or injured pets of people already struggling with potential home foreclosures and job losses? How much more heartbreak is it fair to ask of our fellow citizens?"

"The current economic crisis has impacted many aspects of our lives, and pets are no exception," said Michael Markarian, president of the Humane Society Legislative Fund. "Pet food and regular veterinary care are necessities, not luxuries, for the companion animals in our lives, and we can't skimp on these costs without jeopardizing the health and safety of our pets. Rather than find solutions to help pet owners during this money crunch, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has found a way to make matters worse."
Under the governor's proposal, essential veterinary services like routine exams, vaccinations and prescription medications would be lumped into the category of taxable services such as "appliance and furniture repair, vehicle repair and golf." All other medical professions were excluded from the sales tax proposal. As Dr. Barbara Hodges of the Humane Society Veterinary Medical Association said, "Veterinary services should not be considered nonessential or luxury services, but as truly essential family medical services."

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/A-Recommended-Sales-Use-Tax/story.aspx?guid=%7B7BCC05E8-DA48-4D12-AF64-F97F804E8332%7D

Yurt
11-21-2008, 07:12 PM
i heard this ealier on my way back from court and couldn't believe it...shit, i still can't.

he is no conservative, he is a lib ninja.

red states rule
11-21-2008, 07:15 PM
i heard this ealier on my way back from court and couldn't believe it...shit, i still can't.

Being a memeber of the Kennedy clan would have that effect on anyone

It is insane, and will kill many pets who otherwise might find a home

hjmick
11-21-2008, 07:24 PM

And they're talking about raising the car tax, the very thing that got Davis ousted.

Yurt
11-21-2008, 07:29 PM
And they're talking about raising the car tax, the very thing that Davis ousted.

makes me wonder about the "change" politicians speak of

governator was for no new taxes, now....oh yeah, guess i need taxes.

bullshit

what about cutting the budget.

power

to bad

red states rule
11-21-2008, 07:30 PM
makes me wonder about the "change" politicians speak of

governator was for no new taxes, now....oh yeah, guess i need taxes.

bullshit

what about cutting the budget.

power

to bad

Gray Davis must be loving this

Mr. P
11-21-2008, 08:11 PM
I do feel sorry for you left coasters..but hey, you choose to live there.:poke:

manu1959
11-21-2008, 08:19 PM
I do feel sorry for you left coasters..but hey, you choose to live there.:poke:

i like the weather.......

they should tax the oil fields here......same as they do in alaska and texas.....

Abbey Marie
11-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Is Schwarzenegger brain dead? This is a world-class bad idea.

stephanie
11-21-2008, 08:58 PM
He's turned into a huge disappointment..they should recall him..

manu1959
11-21-2008, 08:59 PM
He's turned into a huge disappointment..they should recall him..

just change the R to a D and carry on......

Mr. P
11-21-2008, 09:17 PM
i like the weather.......

they should tax the oil fields here......same as they do in alaska and texas.....

Ya,ya, ya but...is it really worth living with all the fruits & Nuts?

manu1959
11-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Ya,ya, ya but...is it really worth living with all the fruits & Nuts?

you live with all the mildew and crickets.......to each their own.....

Mr. P
11-21-2008, 09:28 PM
you live with all the mildew and crickets.......to each their own.....

crickets yes..gotta love the nature..I can use em for bait too without the threat of arrest for animal cruelty or endangering a bug...:cheers2: .mildew no.

red states rule
11-22-2008, 07:25 AM
Is Schwarzenegger brain dead? This is a world-class bad idea.

If Arnold would go back to his roots he would know all he has to do is cut spending

Being surrounded by liberals at work and at home has made him move far to the left

Now helpless animals will pay for insane liberalism with their lives

Yurt
11-22-2008, 12:46 PM
is this a pet project?

DragonStryk72
11-22-2008, 10:09 PM
is this a pet project?

lol, That was such horrible humor, yurt, really.

Okay, so anyhoo, I do agree, a decrease in government spending would be vastly better for everyone. However, this is not going to happen in California, it just isn't, and it isn't even just the libs doing it anymore. Even the current breed of "conservatives" don't advise spending cuts, instead talking about tax cuts (yes, let's cut our income while our expenses continue to increase.), or even the same tax hikes that many libs are talking about.

All in all, the republicans, and especially the conservatives, have lost sight of a very basic question that should be the basis of their party, "If I'm a conservative, then what is it I am conserving?"

Yurt
11-22-2008, 11:34 PM

Okay, so anyhoo, I do agree, a decrease in government spending would be vastly better for everyone. However, this is not going to happen in California, it just isn't, and it isn't even just the libs doing it anymore. Even the current breed of "conservatives" don't advise spending cuts, instead talking about tax cuts (yes, let's cut our income while our expenses continue to increase.), or even the same tax hikes that many libs are talking about.

All in all, the republicans, and especially the conservatives, have lost sight of a very basic question that should be the basis of their party, "If I'm a conservative, then what is it I am conserving?"

why thank you, it was a slow day. but i am glad i made you smile, even a wee bit.

you should really rethink your question. unless all you want is continual "change".

manu1959
11-22-2008, 11:42 PM

america and its original purpose

DragonStryk72
11-23-2008, 01:44 AM
why thank you, it was a slow day. but i am glad i made you smile, even a wee bit.

you should really rethink your question. unless all you want is continual "change".

here's the thing- If you can't answer that question, you're not a conservative. Yeah, the question needs to be a bit more refined, but that's alls it needs.