PDA

View Full Version : Haystacks

Yurt
11-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Enjoying haystacks today. wife did not enjoy the coast, it is actually warmer on the coast than here in SLO due to inland winds and she wanted to come home and chill here. so i thought the easiest thing to make and i know she loves them....haystacks.

1. chips - she likes tostitos, me too, but i aslo purchased fresh chips from a great local joint in los osos.
2. crush chips onto plate
3. toppings - pretty much anything you like.
onions, olives, salsa, cheese, mexican rice, beans, sour cream, shredded lettuce, tomatoes....

mine:
fresh chips lightly crushed on plate
refried beans (some mexican brand) cooked: add green chiles, sour cream and briefly warm up, hmmmm,
white onion chopped,
shredded (kraft, didn't have tillamook mexican blend - really just jack and cheddar) cheese but tillamook cheese is my favorite
ranchero sauce - from local joint in los osos, hmmmm
salsa - too lazy to make mine, so from local joint in los osos, hmmmm
fresh farmers market cilantro, lots
olives, black, sliced
shredded lettuce
sour cream

then lightly mix up and hmmmm.

Mr. P
11-22-2008, 06:53 PM
I call em Nachos and don't crush em..:poke:

crin63
11-22-2008, 07:13 PM
One of my favorites is to just get a hunk of cream cheese in a bowl, poor salsa all over it, dip in and enjoy. It makes a nice appetizer as well as a meal.:coffee:

Yurt
11-22-2008, 07:18 PM
I call em Nachos and don't crush em..:poke:

you put lettuce on nachos?

and yes, they are like nachos :laugh2:, and the crushed chips make it all blend together. you want some?

One of my favorites is to just get a hunk of cream cheese in a bowl, poor salsa all over it, dip in and enjoy. It makes a nice appetizer as well as a meal.:coffee:

very good, as long as the cream cheese is room tempature.

my favorite store, but unfortunately only by santa cruz, don't live there anymore, fine with that, but do miss the store....

http://www.mipueblofoods.com/

the most awesome store to get mexican food. FRESH. oh man, fresh, sour cream, made there.....

Mr. P
11-22-2008, 08:13 PM

and yes, they are like nachos :laugh2:, and the crushed chips make it all blend together. you want some?

my favorite store, but unfortunately only by santa cruz, don't live there anymore, fine with that, but do miss the store....

the most awesome store to get mexican food. FRESH. oh man, fresh, sour cream, made there.....

No lettuce on nachos! Yuke...
Overnight some. :thumb:

krisy
11-23-2008, 09:12 AM
Wow,that sounds really good Yurt! Now I might have to make a trip up to Wal Mart.....and it's only 9 a.m.!!! A good weekend snack....minus the olives:eek:

Tis the season for the munchies!!!

Kathianne
11-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Wow,that sounds really good Yurt! Now I might have to make a trip up to Wal Mart.....and it's only 9 a.m.!!! A good weekend snack....minus the olives:eek:

Tis the season for the munchies!!!

It's true! Last night the kids were not home. Dinner? I wasn't in the mood to 'cook' for myself. Threw in some spinach tarts, crabcakes, and Spanakotyropita, (I do like spinach!). Better than dinner!

krisy
11-23-2008, 09:44 AM
It's true! Last night the kids were not home. Dinner? I wasn't in the mood to 'cook' for myself. Threw in some spinach tarts, crabcakes, and Spanakotyropita, (I do like spinach!). Better than dinner!

Whats a spinach tart? Sounds interesting

Kathianne
11-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Whats a spinach tart? Sounds interesting

I get them at Costco. Little pastry tarts, filled with a spinach/onion quiche like filling. 2 bites each. Yum!

krisy
11-23-2008, 09:59 AM
I get them at Costco. Little pastry tarts, filled with a spinach/onion quiche like filling. 2 bites each. Yum!

Ahhhh,my sis in laws sister makes (or buys) something like that for my nephews birthday every year.....they are pretty good. I was actually surprised that I liked them.

Kathianne
11-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Ahhhh,my sis in laws sister makes (or buys) something like that for my nephews birthday every year.....they are pretty good. I was actually surprised that I liked them.

I make a lot of hors d’oeuvres for Christmas, while I still make several from scratch, the variety and cost have made the freezer section very appealing. Have you tried the bacon wrapped scallops or filet bites?

krisy
11-23-2008, 10:25 AM
I make a lot of hors d’oeuvres for Christmas, while I still make several from scratch, the variety and cost have made the freezer section very appealing. Have you tried the bacon wrapped scallops or filet bites?

Ohhh! We are big hors d'oeuvres people too at Christmas. Christmas eve I make all kinds of em. We've never had the scallops or filet bites(my kids are veeery picky). My stuff is pretty simple....salami rolls,chips and dip,finger sammys,Hillshire Farm sausage and sheese on crackers. This year I want to make these little finger thingys that are basically just crescent rolls with cream cheese and bacon bits and maybe a little oniion in them. Cut them into little pieces and they are great!! Maybe a cheese ball too?

I'm thinking about those spinach tarts now and may just have to get some!!!

Kathianne
11-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Ohhh! We are big hors d'oeuvres people too at Christmas. Christmas eve I make all kinds of em. We've never had the scallops or filet bites(my kids are veeery picky). My stuff is pretty simple....salami rolls,chips and dip,finger sammys,Hillshire Farm sausage and sheese on crackers. This year I want to make these little finger thingys that are basically just crescent rolls with cream cheese and bacon bits and maybe a little oniion in them. Cut them into little pieces and they are great!! Maybe a cheese ball too?

I'm thinking about those spinach tarts now and may just have to get some!!!

Christmas Eve is usually just my kids, boy/girlfriends and my friend's family. It's super easy Italian. Progresso Minestrone Soup which I spice up a bit, Caesar salad, baked Mostaccoli, and Eli's Cheesecake. Everything is ready in advance.

We don't have any 'little ones' around at the present time and my brother's and my kids are definitely high maintenance when it comes to food. ;) I inherited the Christmas hors d'oeuvres extravaganza from my mom, with certain things required in her memory, (mostly kid friendly): jumbo shrimp, meatballs in a cocktail sauce, Jeno's pizza rolls, (don't ask how those slipped in), and teriyaki chicken wings. I'm sure the 'kids' would love if I'd add sushi, that's not happening. I usually add 5-10 frozen appetizers to the above. Needless to say the dinner menu is easy to prepare and not too rich. Desserts, well that's another story.

krisy
11-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Christmas Eve is usually just my kids, boy/girlfriends and my friend's family. It's super easy Italian. Progresso Minestrone Soup which I spice up a bit, Caesar salad, baked Mostaccoli, and Eli's Cheesecake. Everything is ready in advance.

We don't have any 'little ones' around at the present time and my brother's and my kids are definitely high maintenance when it comes to food. ;) I inherited the Christmas hors d'oeuvres extravaganza from my mom, with certain things required in her memory, (mostly kid friendly): jumbo shrimp, meatballs in a cocktail sauce, Jeno's pizza rolls, (don't ask how those slipped in), and teriyaki chicken wings. I'm sure the 'kids' would love if I'd add sushi, that's not happening. I usually add 5-10 frozen appetizers to the above. Needless to say the dinner menu is easy to prepare and not too rich. Desserts, well that's another story.

Meatballs......love em! Hanky Panky is great too. Pizza rolls are a great one for kids.....I don't know a kid or teen that doesn't like those. Another good one that ususally is not at Christmas but birthday parties is taco dip. It has flavored taco meat,taco sause,refried beans,sour cream,and cheddar on top with nacho chips for dipping

Gosh I'm getting hungry :coffee:

Kathianne
11-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Meatballs......love em! Hanky Panky is great too. Pizza rolls are a great one for kids.....I don't know a kid or teen that doesn't like those. Another good one that ususally is not at Christmas but birthday parties is taco dip. It has flavored taco meat,taco sause,refried beans,sour cream,and cheddar on top with nacho chips for dipping

Gosh I'm getting hungry :coffee:

Are we talking that layered taco dip? Required indeed. This year I'm going to make it myself, the price in the stores is crazy for the amount!

krisy
11-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Are we talking that layered taco dip? Required indeed. This year I'm going to make it myself, the price in the stores is crazy for the amount!

Yes,the layered dip. We always make it homemade.

Any new recipes for good hor'd's appreciated!!

Kathianne
11-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Yes,the layered dip. We always make it homemade.

Any new recipes for good hor'd's appreciated!!

For some reason I've always bought it in the deli, not this year. It's like $9 something for 10 oz!

In the next week or so I'll be digging out those recipes, I'll post some. I'm hungry too!

diuretic
11-24-2008, 04:12 AM

I had to cut the connection.

I think I drooled into my keyboard :laugh2:

Psychoblues
11-24-2008, 04:16 AM
Drooling?!?!?!??!?!?!??!

I had to cut the connection.

I think I drooled into my keyboard :laugh2:

I'll bet it's not the first time for you , doc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

diuretic
11-24-2008, 04:19 AM
Drooling?!?!?!??!?!?!??!

I'll bet it's not the first time for you , doc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Yeah but this was BOTH sides of my mouth PB - must mean I was on the level :beer:

Psychoblues
11-24-2008, 04:39 AM
Cool jamm, my friend!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah but this was BOTH sides of my mouth PB - must mean I was on the level :beer:

Eatin' is certainly heavenly!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Drool on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues