PDA

View Full Version : Life: Post Internet

Yurt
11-22-2008, 07:10 PM
i find it somewhat depressing sitting in front of my computer screen on a saturday afternoon. i don't have TV, sold it, must get ass off couch. today i am home and i choose to sit down at the computer. i am in front of a computer everyday of the week. everyday of the week i look at a monitor.

i went to the marshall islands in mid 94 for a year teaching...when i came back in mid 95 i could not believe the jump in internet technology. when i left, there was no search engine. when i came back, search engines. i was hooked. i immediately looked up cannabis. holy crap did i have field day and when i pointed the sites out to friends they loved it but were like, dude, yeah, its the internet. but i was on an outer island, no electricity, running water, etc... for a year and in the blink of an eye, the world changed while i surfed, snorkeled, husked coconuts on some remote island lost in time (thankfully so).

the internet is awesome. yet i feel it can be all consuming. i chose law as a career because i wrongly believed that law is old fashioned and had little to do with technology. while law may not move as fast in tech as say the microchip world, lawyers are now responsible for much, much more than our predecessors. i could go bore with the details, but i won't.

what i am highly interested in is:

how is your life post internet as compared to before?

crin63
11-22-2008, 07:29 PM
I got my first computer in 1997. It seems so long ago its hard to remember what it was like before. Its hard to remember life before cell phones also. I would sit and watch TV more than I do now. Work was usually an hour or two away plus 8 - 12 hours working which didn't really leave much time anyway.

This is my first real forum experience and aside from some obvious exceptions it has been quite pleasant.

Noir
11-22-2008, 07:37 PM
I've never really had a life before the Internet, as I got my first computer when I was 7, and then the net at 10, so I've never really not known it.

Yurt
11-22-2008, 07:38 PM
I got my first computer in 1997. It seems so long ago its hard to remember what it was like before. Its hard to remember life before cell phones also. I would sit and watch TV more than I do now. Work was usually an hour or two away plus 8 - 12 hours working which didn't really leave much time anyway.

This is my first real forum experience and aside from some obvious exceptions it has been quite pleasant.

this board is the only board i really post on, i belong to jim's old board, but rarely post. jim and his merry crew keep me with him and his board(s).

i never had a computer of my own, my very own, until my first year of lawschool. laptop, have to have one to take notes/exams etc...

cell phones is another phenom.... that sprang up, oddly enough, right at the same the internet did. i was the last out of my group of friends to get a cell phone. now, i can't live without it. seems the same with the net.

bothers me.

Yurt
11-22-2008, 07:40 PM
I've never really had a life before the Internet, as I got my first computer when I was 7, and then the net at 10, so I've never really not known it.

thanks for posting. truly.

what is the internet to you then?

LiberalNation
11-22-2008, 08:53 PM

LiberalNation
11-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Don't remember a time without net either. It represents to me a wealth of information and entertainment at my fingertips. Anonymous relationships where you can be whatever you want with little consquence ect.

hjmick
11-22-2008, 08:57 PM
No real change post internet. Though I suppose I read less. Well, maybe not less, but it takes me longer to finish a book than it did before. Maybe not. I'm halfway through my second book in a week. Okay... I know... I watch less television than I used to... Oh hell, Idon't know...

I like pie.

manu1959
11-22-2008, 08:58 PM
i hate cell phones......i hate e-mail.......i do like the research capability of the internet.....

LiberalNation
11-22-2008, 09:03 PM
i love email, lots better than making phone calls.

Microcosmos
11-22-2008, 09:08 PM
If there were no Internet, I'd be curled up with a good book right now instead of trying to type on a cell phone screen! I read much less offline than I used to. I don't know if that's good or bad?

Mr. P
11-22-2008, 09:42 PM
The net is like having the worlds resources at yer fingertips in seconds.

I grew up with party lines, black and white network (only) TV, snail mail etc.

The net is great and it does have an off switch. :thumb:

The down side of this chat venue is..I'd much rather talk and interact with some of you in person..but then being at such a distance that's impossible soooooo. here I is. It works for me and nobody gets hurt. :cheers2:

Yurt
11-22-2008, 11:42 PM
i hate cell phones......i hate e-mail.......i do like the research capability of the internet.....

why?

manu1959
11-22-2008, 11:45 PM
why?

nothing is that important.......i have clients that e-mail me phone me text me and they used to fax me......

they think that if they can ask questions quickly the answer doen't take long either......

Mr. P
11-23-2008, 12:51 AM
nothing is that important.......i have clients that e-mail me phone me text me and they used to fax me......

they think that if they can ask questions quickly the answer doen't take long either......

Ain't it the truth! No one gets the e-mail or cell number (cept the court) for just that reason. The fax stuff is bad enough. Oh and the hard line phone..geeezzzzzzz some of these folks call at 12am an leave a message for shit,even on weekends.

emmett
11-23-2008, 04:03 AM
It's funny this poiont you have made about the internet! Here I am, I just got up from bed to get a glass of milk in a frosted mug and sat down in front of computer, which was left on, sitting on my coffee table in living room before I slumbered off at around 10:30pm. There is a lone candle burning on the coffee table, the dog (Honey Bee) is curled up under my Harley Davidson blanket I use as a throw on the couch. The serene silence is only breifly interupted by the sound of a heater in the bathroom coming on intermittendly as I sit down and touch the keypad with my finger. All of a sudden a bright light projects itself from the screen and I realize I am once again connected to the world.

It reminds me of the three years i spent on the road in that damn truck, the times when boredom began to overcome me and I would feel lonely and without much purpose. Reading only pacified me to such a degree that interaction became incestuous. I would talk to anybody who would receive me. Then I found the old board while googling politics and reading. I had never been on a chat line either. Much like at this very second instant purpose had become me. Conversation! I can read the opinions of another and respond. I don't know the name of either of my neighbors, never met them, strange as that would not have been the norm years ago for me. I would have found a way to introduce myself much as I did when i lived across the street from Nathan Deal's mother on Vine St. in Gainesville. Two of the old ladies on the street had inquired about how I could grow my ferns on the porch to a length of ten feet without them freezing in the winter time. They were also found of my flower garden and wanted to chat with me during their typical afternoon walk.

Ironic it seems now thinking back on that time twelve years ago that had I been involved in a chat box I might not have been out in the front yard as they walked by and would almost assuredly never made their acquaintence. This would have been long before I developed the affliction of reaching for my cellphone to see if I had received a message while asleep. I have no home phone line as it almost certainly means I shall have no more pesky telemarketeers calling to sell me penis pumps or real estate opportunities.

What am I doing at 2:30 in the morning, writing some opinion on my computer screen that only people whom I will never meet will read. Why don't I just go back to bed. I can't! The subject matter I have run across is interesting. The topic has stimulated my thinking processes and really hit home and I must reply!

I have since recent decided not to hook up television in my new little house here in jefferson. The fascinating documentaries that I love so much distract me from my writing and I need to finish my book. The history channel, my most recent addiction of many years was so hard to break such as a drug addiction or alcohol would be. I wish I could quit smoking but at least the stoppage of those habits didn't cause physical discomfort. I wonder if I was denied access to the board would there be some such discomfort. I rely on it so regularly. I do notice that I do not read as much as I used to. I remember back before cable TV I read a book a week, now I am lucky to read one a month. I don't think I do. I did listen to alot of audio books when I was in the truck. That was different as I know I would not have if I was at home. Come to think of it, I haven't listened to one since getting out of the truck.

Debate Policy is an interesting place. I seem to have spent so much of my time here. I wonder about the people. Would they be the same folks I would encounter in the neighborhood? Maybe.... if they lived in my neighborhood. I wonder again if all of us were in a room, would we be as compatible as we seem on here. Is it just the boredom that brings them here or are they really as seemingly passionate about debating as some seem. Many appear to be much like myself, well I know they aren't. I doubt many have long hair down to their shoulderblades, wear turquoise jewelery, tennis shoes 24 / 7 and burn candles all the time. Then again, I tell myself they probably would look like any group of people one would see at the mall. Just a random lot. The only thing they all seem to have in common is they all spend alot of time in front of a computer. Hmmm.... I guess I do to! I didn't use to, hell, at one time we didn't have these things. We didn't have cell phones either. I remember how strange it felt to carry around that big bag phone with me. It was interesting to witness the gradual change I went through, especially when I didn't have to hunt payphones anymore. I found the search for coverage area was much the same however except for once located, there was no guarentee that I had delved far enough into the area as to maintain a good signal.

Change! Interesting it is indeed how ones life can be so affected by the change that is brought on by technology. I guess without it, my opinion would not be viewed this morning by so many. But then again, does the receipiant of my message matter? I mean... like I said... I don't know them! Who will care? It isn't like i have had a face to face conversation with my neighbor. Oh... that's right, I don't know my neighbor!

I seem to think alot of the folks whom I read of their thoughts on this board. It stimulates my curiosity to think of them when I read their writings and opinions. I have befriended a couple of them and I hear that is quite rare as most seem to prefer to maintain ananymous presences. I wonder why that would be. Oh! That's right, people use this thing as a means of conducting dubious activity. That's right......I have investigated some of those cases. What was I thinking? It's dangerous to be on here and tell your personal information. Ironic!

I wonder what inspired Jim to start this thing or the other board? Certainly it could be the pennies he no doubt takes in from advertising on here. I wouldn't imagine it is a catalyst to prosperity. Hell, only the other day I saw on here where he was trying to raise funds to keep it running. Interesting the cultural diversity represented here. The folks are interesting. Much like a group of people anywhere perhaps. Just random people. No! They aren't random! We all seem to have this in common so one might wonder if there was any way this particular group of folks would have ever convened anywhere else. Of course not! It couldn't be possible. They will probably think me crazy for gpoing on like this at this hour! No.... maybe not! They understand. They're like me...... they do it too!

The world seems an ever changing place. P's commewnt about black and white TV made me think of this. I remember my aluminum foil creation on my Magnavox TV I had as a kid. It covered my entire wall and was really quite a creation. I still remember the adjustments I had to make to get channel 17 in the early am hours. I had designed a quick disconnect part using a coathanger that would allow the monstrosity to only pick up on one side of the room when it rained which seemed to enhance the signal. Movies came in great on 17 if I laid in the bed to watch but would grow fuzzy if i sat up. I laugh to think of it! 2, 5 and 11 came in fine if I left the entire thing hooked together. LOL!

I don't imagine the youngsters on here could have any idea what I am talking about! They seem so different from what I was about in my younger days. I don't think I would have any interest in computers when I was young. Would have taken up too much time. Makes me wonder about them! Why do they have so much time on their hands. Then again, how do any of us? How do some of these folks have time to post tens of thousands of times. Hmmm! Well, then there is RSR, he posts alot because he is always at home. I wonder what he would do without this thing. Or Yurt, or any of these big posters! What would they be doing if they were not on here? Interesting people though. RSR calls me on the phone, he is a wise old chap indeed. Almost seems nothing like he does on here. Seems so easily aggrevated by some of the lefties. Not very tolerant. Yet in life he is very much so as I have discovered through our conversations. Interesting! I wonder what Stephanie is really like, or Abbey. What ever happened to Gunny? I've met Kathy, she doesn't want me telling people that. I had promised not to make mention of it again. Mr. P lives less than thirty miles away from me but I have never met him. I've talked to him on the phone, he'd be an interesting neighbor. Jeff, my Libertarian cohort, just moved to Fayetteville. I'd been telling myself it would be interesting to meet him. Interesting, I seem to agree with his views more than anyone here on the board yet ironoic as it is that he is a military man who is against all war by the United States. I have recently adopted that platform as well. Hmmm. I remember only a few years ago being an advocate of advancing on Saddam Hussein. Today i would say let some one else do it! Wait a minute.......did I change my view only since coming on here? Hmmm......maybe so! Interesting!

Yes...... yes it is! Very Interesting! I seemed to have changed since being involved with a chat board! Did I change? Maybe I evolved? Is it different? I guess it is. I used to use humor so much more effectively. My favorite tool. Seems I didn't have any adversaries when I did that either. I've become a bit more directional since arriving here that night in Wyoming at the rest area when I discovered the old board by mistake while surfing. I wonder if these folks notice that? I seem to notice some of them have changed. Some are much more active........some much less! Then there are the regulars, they seem the most influential. Well..... not really! Sometimes I see someone come on who I recognize as being somewhat inactive for a long period and I am actually happy to see what they write.... sort of like seeing an old friend.

I wonder what they will think of my early morning babbling? Ah... who cares! They know how I am! I tend to do that. I can do that here. It's what we do! I imagine someone will even think it kind of cool that another member has rambled on about a subject such as this. Hell.....they got me thinking, talking about change and all. I guess I have changed since I first got on here. Or did the board change? Yeah.... maybe the board changed and i just changed with it. I think I will go all day tomorrow without talking on the cell phone, talking on this board or using modern technology. (I look up to see the rabbit ears on my TV). No cable, no problem, I don't have it. I decided not to hook it up when I moved here so I would write more. Seems like I have posted more too. Hmmm.....Interesting!

Noir
11-23-2008, 06:29 AM
thanks for posting. truly.

what is the internet to you then?

The internet is quite possibly the singal most important factor of my life, it has litterally changed everything.

It was the Internet that turned my life towards politics, I had never really bothered much about it until I was invited onto a debating website by a mate, which over time changged my asperations to read politics rather than physics at university.

It has been through the Internet, and social networking, that I ended up meeting my amazing girlfriend, who lived a few hundred miles away in a city I had never herd of, so without the net we would certainly never be together. There are also a huge number of friends that I have meet, most of whom just talk every now and then, asking how things are. But some of them completly changed how I look at life, and death.

I also do allot of learning from the Internet, as i Tend to have quite a short attention span and books can be rather daunting by there scale, but I can read report after report on the Internet endlessly.

Honesty I have no idea what my life would he like without the internet, and i'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it if I did know. So let's have a big one for the internet :beer:

Kathianne
11-23-2008, 08:04 AM
Interesting op indeed, Yurt. :clap:

I find the 'wonder' of technology to be how much 'more' we are able to get done and how much easier it is to look at issues and subjects in depth. The cost has fallen so that it seems that nearly everyone but the homeless can have an online computer if they wish. The speed at which things have changed in the span of 30 years is breathtaking:

While I've been 'connected' to the internet since 1980's, never used it much until until 1990. My ex became a programmer with the Bell System in 1978, quickly promoted to designer, then director of designers so we always had computers/internet in home. Huge suckers they were too, but getting smaller all the time.

After 1982, I don't think a month went by where we weren't getting a 'new' computer at home, provided by Bell. It must have been about 1987 when he came home with this huge suitcase like deal, saying it was a 'portable' computer, must have weighed at least 25 lbs and I remember laughing and said something to the effect, 'no one will be able to or want to carry around a computer.' Same with 'portable phone', though I think that came earlier. I'm now typing on my MacBook that I carry back and forth between school and home daily. It weighs less than my school bag. ;) My G5 weighs less than that clunker 'portable' computer, and it's a desk top!

While my kids picked up the 'commands' from the time they were 3 or so, I really only used the computer for writing. In spite of the games that the kids were playing, I never saw real practicality to computers, outside of business. Our first printer was a standing model, with that paper that came with those big rolls of paper, with the tear off ends that were on spikes! Noisy and big, I mean BIG!

Once the oldest started school, I was writing quite a lot. I was involved with PTA, League of Women Voters, and The Association of University Women. There were always letters to the editor, stories for the kids, journaling. Word processing was something I felt a serious need for and it sure beat the Underwood I'd had until jr. high, the Smith Corona electric I had in jr. high or the Selectric from hs. No more carbon paper, no more having to begin typing all over again, because of edits.

After I started the divorce I decided to return to school to pick up my teaching creds and the history degree necessary. Little did I know that between papers for school and documentation necessary for the courts due to children, I'd have to be writing literally 6-7 hours a day, while attending classes, reading and taking care of 3 kids ages 7-12. For the most part my writing had to start after the kids went to bed, around 9pm. At first I tried typing on the old Selectric still at my parents' home, but some of the letters were worn from the ball and the replacement parts were hard to find. One of my friends had a computer at their house, so I used to drive there after the kids were in bed, to type papers. One night I'd begun a theology paper around 10pm, after writing for hours, around 4am, I was finished and thought I'd hit 'print', but instead all 22 pages disappeared. I remember crying and thinking I had to find a better way to deal with this.

Money was a serious issue, so I went to Circuit City and bought a (yes, Smith Corona) word processor for I think $150. This must have been in 1992. It was 'Word Perfect', still better imho than Word, but I digress. The incident with the theology paper was the last time I'd forget that 'save' is your friend. That word processor got me through school and also made me aware of just how much technology had changed in about 4 years.

After graduating and finally being able to work for $$$, I bought my first Compaq. I knew I had to learn how to use it, so I asked about 'language classes' to learn the 'commands.' I was told that wasn't necessary anymore. :cheers2: They'd become more 'user friendly.' That purchase with 'desk top printer'; hard drive, that fit under my desk; monitor-still huge; and keyboard came to nearly $5k. Indeed I recognized it had to do more than word processing. I used it to study for advanced insurance licensing classes, reading more history, helping my kids with their homework, letting them play educational games, reading the news, and was still journaling.

A few years later I bought this townhome and decided to teach. By this time my youngest was 11 and we were doing ok. I was teaching 4 nights a week for an 'at risk' program for hs students that had dropped out and decided to return to night program for a degree, rather than GED. I was teaching the Constitution and intro to deviant psychology, (covered by my sociology degree). While I was comfortable with the Constitution class, the sociology had been from 1970's, I had to do a lot of prep for that class, beyond the text. I was substituting during the day mostly in jr. high, working one night a week at Allstate, and weekends in grocery store for insurance. The Compaq died and that day I bought a Dell by phone. Cost for that, which was much faster, about $2k. Mind you, I'm pretty sure I was still dealing with 'dial up' connection.

In 1998 I began my current teaching position, and was able to work 'normal' hours for the most part. I had more time to search for ways to make me a 'better teacher'. What I found was there were so many ways to make learning more interesting and relevant to my students. I had a Compaq pc at school and my Dell at home. The library at school had 5 pc's and 5 macs. We had a part-time IT guy who mostly was at school overnight. Since I got to school around 5:30 am, we crossed over a lot. I told him some of the things I'd like to use for the kids, but how could I use the one pc in my room for 20 kids? He hooked up the pc to the tv so I could show them and then they could go to the library 1/2 class at a time. The majority of the students were already online at home, which was lucky in 1999 or so. They could do 'homework', freeing up library time for those not 'connected'. Today, every student in our school has internet at home!

September 11th was the catalyst for me to find others to chat with online. Prior to that all I'd used was messenger and email with those I knew in real life. I've spent way too much time on boards, but have learned a lot. I find it's become a 'hard world', much meaner than anything I would have thought back in 2001 or in real life. I'm not sure why that is, though would think the 'invisibility' is part of it.

After my Dell died, I switched to Mac. I bought the G5 4 years ago, my son is using it at university now. I bought the macbook a little more than a year ago. DSL or high speed I've had for over 8 years, I can't believe I ever made it through dial up, though at first I found it astoundingly fast, compared to using an encyclopedia! ;) Everything today is wireless. I still find it amazing that I can save more on my flash drive than what my first or second computers could hold on their hard drives! That I plug in my ipod and it can charge and play from my computer.

My classroom? We have laptops for every middle school student. I have smartboard and projector in my room. I download video, audio, artwork from United Streaming. I use the Avalon Project from Yale, along with National Archives programs to teach the Constitution. My students know how to search and use Thomas. Webquests used to be assigned as homework, we can now do as a class, in one day instead of perhaps 2 weeks. All of this in less than 10 years! We have closed circuit live tv capabilities, students produce 'morning news' using teleprompter. Homework is posted online, quizzes taken online, and grades/report cards are online.

Now if I can find a way to get the dishes into and out of the dishwasher by a command, life would be nearly perfect. ;)