PDA

View Full Version : Speaking for Myself

Kathianne
11-23-2008, 05:37 PM
I love a whole lot of posters here, really. Yet, I can read the handwriting on the wall, the flamers and haters are winning, the site is dying.

If you care, please, post some posts that are relevant to the news today and our community. We are the majority, being silenced by the nasties.

Please, take a look at my giving thanks post. Perhaps someone wishes to start a Christmas or New Year's post?

What will the Obama administration bring, for good or not?

hjmick
11-23-2008, 05:52 PM
I tend to agree, the flame wars are overshadowing any real discussion these days.

If people would review what they read and ask themselves, would I want my mother to read this? I have a feeling the tone of things might change significantly.

Kathianne
11-23-2008, 05:53 PM
I tend to agree, the flame wars are overshadowing any real discussion these days.

If people would review what they read and ask themselves, would I want my mother to read this? I have a feeling the tone of things might change significantly.

Indeed.

jimnyc
11-24-2008, 09:33 AM
I love a whole lot of posters here, really. Yet, I can read the handwriting on the wall, the flamers and haters are winning, the site is dying.

The beauty of a community is the community itself controls the destiny of the board. Those looking to rile things up simply cannot do so unless they are allowed to. Staff is here to ensure violations are corrected and that the board has an opportunity to flourish. Members have the opportunity to ignore posts they don't like, or literally place other members on ignore. Flame wars cannot ensue unless multiple parties are involved.

I know there are a few members that enjoy coming here to rile up other members. If their only intent was to start flaming, they should and will be removed from threads. If they stick to the subject, but are a bit testy in their posting habits, it's then up to the other members to decide on how to interact with these members. If you feed their desires, you are allowing the "hate" to win.

One thing I will never understand about the life of message boards on the internet is the refusal to place members on ignore. Perhaps one of the best things ever designed for message boards and yet the least used. One cannot invite drama by looking for it and then turn around and complain when they find it. It's similar to "spam". I used to get annoyed at the amount of spam that hit my inbox. Instead of getting more and more angry, I started to utilize tools to kill it before it ever reached me. Now I don't see it, and I no longer get angry.

Kathianne
11-24-2008, 10:24 AM
The beauty of a community is the community itself controls the destiny of the board. Those looking to rile things up simply cannot do so unless they are allowed to. Staff is here to ensure violations are corrected and that the board has an opportunity to flourish. Members have the opportunity to ignore posts they don't like, or literally place other members on ignore. Flame wars cannot ensue unless multiple parties are involved.

I know there are a few members that enjoy coming here to rile up other members. If their only intent was to start flaming, they should and will be removed from threads. If they stick to the subject, but are a bit testy in their posting habits, it's then up to the other members to decide on how to interact with these members. If you feed their desires, you are allowing the "hate" to win.

One thing I will never understand about the life of message boards on the internet is the refusal to place members on ignore. Perhaps one of the best things ever designed for message boards and yet the least used. One cannot invite drama by looking for it and then turn around and complain when they find it. It's similar to "spam". I used to get annoyed at the amount of spam that hit my inbox. Instead of getting more and more angry, I started to utilize tools to kill it before it ever reached me. Now I don't see it, and I no longer get angry.

Good to see you on! Hope it's a trend! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

hjmick
11-24-2008, 10:49 AM

You're absolutely correct, Jim. Rather than use the ignore function, I myself have opted to exercise the restraint of a mature adult and simply not reply to the obvious inanity and deliberately inflammatory posts some choose to throw at the wall. This way, in the off chance one of the usual suspects actually posts something worth responding to, I don't miss it. Sadly, it is a rare occurrence when that happens.