PDA

View Full Version : civilization....

manu1959
11-23-2008, 08:31 PM
for the life of me i can not win a match on deity......

getting angry............

Mr. P
11-23-2008, 08:38 PM

Unplug it and have some whine. :poke: :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

manu1959
11-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Unplug it and have some whine. :poke: :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

funny old man.......you ever played it...

Mr. P
11-23-2008, 09:20 PM
funny old man.......you ever played it...

No..Video games just don't keep my interest...I really don't understand the popularity..really...that's just me. I was just pokin at ya.

hjmick
11-23-2008, 10:00 PM
I like the game too much to ruin it by playing the "Deity" level. Tried it, hated it.

Yurt
11-23-2008, 10:45 PM
I like the game too much to ruin it by playing the "Deity" level. Tried it, hated it.

same here

manu1959
11-23-2008, 11:31 PM
No..Video games just don't keep my interest...I really don't understand the popularity..really...that's just me. I was just pokin at ya.

i know.....it is a world domination game.....

manu1959
11-23-2008, 11:32 PM

so what do you play it on then.....winning all the tim is no fun....

11-24-2008, 12:00 AM

You win all the time? i never do.

manu1959
11-24-2008, 12:19 AM
You win all the time? i never do.

not on deity....

hjmick
11-24-2008, 11:00 AM

Usually "Noble," sometimes the next one up. I also enjoy the mods and the scenarios.

darin
11-24-2008, 11:13 AM
There's an OBAMA level??????

11-24-2008, 05:22 PM
You guys are really making me want to play again. i havent for a while.

Yurt
11-24-2008, 06:01 PM
There's an OBAMA level??????

yes, you start out with the hollywood world wonder, media technology and a free broadcast tower in every city :laugh2:

hjmick
11-24-2008, 06:03 PM
yes, you start out with the hollywood world wonder, media technology and a free broadcast tower in every city :laugh2:

ROFLMFAO! :lol:

Perfect Civ insider joke!

11-24-2008, 06:35 PM

And the UN does absolutely nothing. Like in real life.

5stringJeff
11-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Last one I had was Civ 2. I thought about getting the latest one, but I knew my wife would get mad for me playing all the time!

manu1959
11-24-2008, 09:48 PM
beat the second highest level last night with the arabs....it came down to me and the french.......they offered peace.......i nuked em....:beer:

Yurt
11-24-2008, 10:20 PM
you mean the french wanted to surrender

Yurt
11-26-2008, 03:26 PM
do any of you ever play online? i tried once and it was confusing. it would be fun to set up our own board and have a short game...problem is, you can't really play a short civ game and have fun and i know for me, i can't sit around for hours playing. i wonder if you can save online games.

hjmick
11-26-2008, 03:35 PM
do any of you ever play online? i tried once and it was confusing. it would be fun to set up our own board and have a short game...problem is, you can't really play a short civ game and have fun and i know for me, i can't sit around for hours playing. i wonder if you can save online games.

I used to play Civ III online, but I prefer the solitude of individual domination. Besides, the other players were far to geeky for me (translated: they were better). I got the impression that they all lived in their mother's basements and did nothing but play all day.

dan
11-26-2008, 03:46 PM
I got the impression that they all lived in their mother's basements and did nothing but play all day.

I'm getting that impression right now, reading this thread.

:finger3:

Yurt
11-26-2008, 03:58 PM
I used to play Civ III online, but I prefer the solitude of individual domination. Besides, the other players were far to geeky for me (translated: they were better). I got the impression that they all lived in their mother's basements and did nothing but play all day.

i turn my speakers down so as not to bother my mom :laugh2:

ever played the thomas war mod? downloaded it and going to give a try over the holidays.

hjmick
11-26-2008, 04:04 PM
i turn my speakers down so as not to bother my mom :laugh2:

ever played the thomas war mod? downloaded it and going to give a try over the holidays.

Haven't tried it, haven't even downloaded it. Perhaps I will check it out.

I'm getting that impression right now, reading this thread.

:finger3:

Where would you get that idea?

Yurt
11-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Haven't tried it, haven't even downloaded it. Perhaps I will check it out.

Where would you get that idea?

dan's a smartass and damn good at it, afterall, he has to mouth off on this board as he can't mouth off to his mother upstars :coffee:

hjmick
11-26-2008, 04:14 PM
dan's a smartass and damn good at it :coffee:

Yes, yes he is...

Yurt
11-26-2008, 04:19 PM
Yes, yes he is...

you quoted me before my edit:

afterall, he has to mouth off on this board as he can't mouth off to his mother upstars

i like dan, better a smartass than a dumbass

dan
11-26-2008, 05:15 PM
i like dan, better a smartass than a dumbass

That's my life motto!

Yurt
11-26-2008, 05:19 PM
That's my life motto!

so you live your life to be an ass :laugh2:

manu1959
11-26-2008, 06:44 PM
i play the ps3 version.....played online once....was crushed inside 15 minutes.....

Yurt
11-26-2008, 07:03 PM
i play the ps3 version.....played online once....was crushed inside 15 minutes.....

but we could create our own game and lock it. you can lock it, only problem i see is, can you save online games, because if you can't, i and i am sure you, are not going to stay online for hours just to finish a game.

manu1959
11-26-2008, 07:11 PM
but we could create our own game and lock it. you can lock it, only problem i see is, can you save online games, because if you can't, i and i am sure you, are not going to stay online for hours just to finish a game.

no you can not save online games......

Yurt
11-26-2008, 07:21 PM

forget it about then

manu1959
11-26-2008, 07:25 PM
forget it about then

scared of your wife .......

Yurt
11-26-2008, 10:15 PM
scared of your wife .......

DON'T TALK ABOUT MY WIFE

:coffee:

she doesn't like civ, in fact she doesn't like most video games. but she loves boggle and scrabble.

manu1959
01-18-2009, 07:50 PM
finally won a game on diety..........:cheers2:......used the effn arabs....

Yurt
01-18-2009, 08:06 PM
finally won a game on diety..........:cheers2:......used the effn arabs....

congrats

religious victory?

LiberalNation
01-18-2009, 08:16 PM
fall out 3, my new favorite game. Some first person shooter, a lot of strategy.

manu1959
01-18-2009, 10:34 PM
congrats

religious victory?

domination......

Yurt
01-18-2009, 10:41 PM
domination......

cool. what size map, strategy did you have?

manu1959
01-18-2009, 10:47 PM
cool. what size map, strategy did you have?

i am playing on the ps3 ....dont recall the map there wer 4 other civis....i send out sic armies to scout while i try to create cities and research culture not military ...... if i find a weak civi ... i try to take them out or at least stay at war with them ..... then it is a race to tanks ......

NightTrain
08-12-2009, 03:17 PM

Hate to Necro an old thread, but you can indeed save online games. All you do is save the game, then when you and your opponents are ready to resume the game, the host loads it, the others join and it launches again where you left off.

This is on a PC, of course.. I have no idea how the PS3 games work for Civ.

I play Civ IV now when I'm out of town working in a hotel against my brothers at night after work (cheaper than hanging out at the bar).

Civ is still by far and away the best world conquest game ever. Get the expansion packs for Civ IV and you'll have so many different mods it'll take you months to decide which is your favorite.

As far as beating it on Deity, I've never even come close. You either have your war machine ramped up and fall behind in technology or get your ass handed to you because they overwhelm your defenses with Chariots and Catapults. Finding the right balance is almost impossible unless you get lucky and land on a good size island at the beginning all by yourself.

A strategy that seems to work when you have an aggressive neighbor is to run your latest & greatest military unit up to the border so that the AI knows you have them. It seems to make them less likely to attack you if you're ahead in the military technologies department.

Insein
09-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Hate to Necro an old thread, but you can indeed save online games. All you do is save the game, then when you and your opponents are ready to resume the game, the host loads it, the others join and it launches again where you left off.

This is on a PC, of course.. I have no idea how the PS3 games work for Civ.

I play Civ IV now when I'm out of town working in a hotel against my brothers at night after work (cheaper than hanging out at the bar).

Civ is still by far and away the best world conquest game ever. Get the expansion packs for Civ IV and you'll have so many different mods it'll take you months to decide which is your favorite.

As far as beating it on Deity, I've never even come close. You either have your war machine ramped up and fall behind in technology or get your ass handed to you because they overwhelm your defenses with Chariots and Catapults. Finding the right balance is almost impossible unless you get lucky and land on a good size island at the beginning all by yourself.

A strategy that seems to work when you have an aggressive neighbor is to run your latest & greatest military unit up to the border so that the AI knows you have them. It seems to make them less likely to attack you if you're ahead in the military technologies department.

The game is like crack. I hadn't played it in over a year. Decided to play for a bit a couple weeks ago. Played it for 10 hours straight. You just can't help it. You have to go one more turn.

NightTrain
10-31-2009, 08:53 PM
If any of you are still playing Civ IV, my brother and I have been playing the Beyond The Sword expansion - we've both got some time off in the next couple of weeks.

The more, the merrier!

Shoot me a PM if you want to get in on the action.

Insein
11-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Yea I have BTS also. My nephew and I usually team up against harder AI's. Too hard and it gets boring though cause they dominate you. I'll have to look you up for a game if I have some free time.

NightTrain
11-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Sure, anytime! We're playing almost every day, the teams add a whole new element to the game.

My brother and I developed a few strategies recently that really boosts you and gives you leverage very early in the game while playing teams. First, we both play the Inca leader (Ind / Fin).

You found your first city, and set it to building warrior units until you have 4 or 5. You don't want to build a worker or settler anyway during the first few turns, because it halts city growth.

When you have your 4 or 5 warriors, you should have discovered at least one other Civ. Take out that city, thereby reducing his partner's Technology and Trade rates by 50%.

If you both take out a different rival civ, you're golden. When he'll talk to you again, make peace with him and get down to business developing and expanding as usual. More than likely the orphaned Civs from the destroyed partnerships will offer to be your Vassal State, which is mighty good for business and score.

Something to avoid, though, is taking more than one city that's isolated from your empire that early in the game. It really drags your economy down in a big way.

Insein
11-05-2009, 09:44 AM
When I play and start the conquest, I usually just raze cities. Like you said, it cripples the economy and its cheaper just to build a settler and start one from scratch. No insurgency and no overpopulation.

I like Americans early on because they build wonders 50% faster. I get all the early Wonders and it carries you through the first 2 stages of the game.

11-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Just started Civ IV again. Ive only got the Warlord expansion, but its just a fun game. I need some better strategies. Because i just seem to go with the flow most of the time and I dont really have a plan. Its fun to watch, but sometimes it gets me no where.

NightTrain
11-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Avatar, get the Beyond The Sword expansion for Civ IV, you'll love it. More units and unique racial units and buildings, more technologies, more world and national wonders.

Also, there's 6 different corporations you can control that do different things like add culture, add production or add money to each city you expand it to (works like spreading religion via missionaries). I'm pretty sure the corporations were introduced in the BTS expansion... I could be wrong though.

Late-game is where BTS really shines, though, especially naval warfare. You have attack subs, stealth destroyers, and missile cruisers in addition to standard naval units like battleships, destroyers, aircraft carriers, subs, transports, etc. Stealth destroyers are very handy because only another stealth destroyer can see them - so a couple of these pillaging fishing grounds, offshore oil rigs and other resources is pretty safe unless you get unlucky and a battleship happens to run over you.

One of my favorite tactics lately against a powerful adversary is to make about 5 aircraft carriers, load them up with fighters and run them in a stack of 4 battleships and a couple of destroyers. I'll run that fleet up and down the enemy coast, using my fighters to carpet bomb the snot out of his countryside developments... suddenly losing all your food, resources and luxuries instantly cripples any civ trying to wage war and a size 30 city will be down to single digits in a few turns with this scorched earth strategy. At least two 'medic' promotions on a couple of your ships in your fleet will keep all of them repaired up unless you're really catching hell from a big navy, in which case add a few more battleships to protect those carriers.

Another good tactic I started doing recently is to park an attack sub off the coast next to a large coastal city and hit the 'Blockade' button. This prevents any water resources including overseas trade from going to any city within the sub's influence, which severely cripples the enemy's economy. A few subs in choice spots can bring an enemy's economy to it's knees. Of course, if one of his destroyers spots you, it would be wise to haul ass out of there with your sub.

My brother is a fan of nuking the hell out of a city he's about to assault and it works for him, but I don't like doing it. Too messy and takes a lot of cleanup after you take it. Plus it triggers global warming and I don't like having deserts appear back in my cities replacing farmland.

Anyway, BTS is definitely the best Civ IV expansion out there IMO.

Noir
12-08-2009, 02:25 PM
I just got Civ 4 (i know a lil late to the party lol) i've been meaning to get it for agggggges as the last Civ game i had was Civ 2, but never got round to it, but i went on a bit of a game spending spree and finally picked it up,

One thing that keeps urking me (n00b question i know) is over-crowding in cities, there's like forever a -4 or -5 happiness level because of overcrowding, and the in-game help basically just says that over-crowding is bad, with no remedy, so how do i quell such a problem?

Insein
12-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Basically noir, you have a 6 button toolbar in the city screen that sets the goals for the city. You can "avoid growth" and that will halt the city from growing to any bigger size then its currently at. You can set it for max production which I prefer once its established since that does essentially the same thing. It will place the maximum amount of production in the city squares possible which in return slows the growth to only sustainable levels. Just scroll over each one to see the options for each.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/917/civ4screenshot0000az1.jpg

Right next to the map in the lower right hand corner in the area that has "Draft" on it. The bottom 6 things there determine what your city focuses on. Its default to just keep growing pop unless you specify otherwise.

The Bread is to toggle growth on and off. The Hammer is for production. The Coin is for wealth. Flask is for Science. Great People and then I have no idea what the last one is.

NightTrain
10-03-2010, 02:55 PM
I never worry about the overcrowding issue. Be sure to build all the wonders you can, every luxury you can add to your resource base affects every one of your cities, and of course your luxury rate will help, too.

Unless a city revolts, I really don't care - even in Civ, there's a few liberals causing problems in your cities but as long as there are at least as many happy people as unhappy ones, your city will do fine.

hjmick
10-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Anybody have Civ V yet?

DragonStryk72
10-04-2010, 03:41 AM

Uh, yeah, sort of the point of deity isn't it? It's the equivalent of having someone roll up and punch you in the balls every other turn

DragonStryk72
10-04-2010, 03:44 AM
Anybody have Civ V yet?

Yup. It's great, and I especially the switch over to hex grid, as well as the easy modding tools they developed. My only real caveat at this point is that they do not have historically accurate starting locations for the civilizations on Earth map, which sort of defeats the whole point of playing the Earth map.

Here's a review of the game that I enjoyed thoroughly.

<embed src="http://blip.tv/play/hdEVgf_DcgI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="277" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>

NightTrain
10-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Civ V, eh? Looks like I'd better head down to the store.

NightTrain
10-09-2010, 11:12 AM
I bought it, and I like it.

The only problem is that they released it too early to the public and there are a few very strange bugs still to be worked out. My desktop (running XP) that is much more powerful than my laptop won't play it, but my laptop running Win7 does - barely.

They'll release patches to fix it, but IMO it is unacceptable to release a game like this with flaws that need to be addressed. Using the world to testbed your software frustrates your customer base and makes them reluctant to buy future releases right away.

NightTrain
01-11-2011, 11:54 AM
They've almost got all the bugs worked out in it now, with patches. It takes a fairly late model video card to play it, even though it's not readily apparent that the game is graphics intensive. I would guess the engine they used isn't very economical, and the game does begin bogging down later in the game when thousands of units are repositioned worldwide and wars are fought.

It's harder to engage in blitzkrieg and requires more planning, but I do like the game.

Anyone up for a friendly game of world conquest?

NightTrain
03-04-2011, 02:21 PM
They released a huge patch a couple days ago, it fixed the game. No more bogging down, it's smooth as silk now and damn near as fast as Civ II. :thumb:

DragonStryk72
03-04-2011, 08:20 PM

Have you tried finding some online folks to pit yourself against? I mean, the whole point of deity level is to just keep punching you in the balls. My favorite trick was to set up a "secondary civilization" out on Australia, while allowing the others civs to interact with my few mainland cities. At the least, I get a wonderful degree of knowledge that they're coming for me.

I also admit to diplomatting the hell out of my enemies, and keeping solid fortifications and military units up. This usually comes down to picking one civ that I latched myself to, usually one not directly bordering my own empire, and keep my diplomacy as high as possible with them, so that I can set up multi-empire pincer attacks to keep them from being able to focus solely on me. I will usually produce military units for a time, then switch focus to research to speed up my advance to next the next big weapons improvement

NightTrain
04-25-2015, 12:18 PM
Necro post!

They really need to put R. Lee Ermey in as your military adviser... it would be a beautiful thing.

I still say Civ is the greatest computer game series ever.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7148&stc=1

tailfins
04-25-2015, 12:33 PM
Necro post!

They really need to put R. Lee Ermey in as your military adviser... it would be a beautiful thing.

I still say Civ is the greatest computer game series ever.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7148&stc=1

Beating Civ 5 in Deity isn't that hard. Brave New World is a whole different matter. Adding that faith resource made the game a whole dimension more difficult.

tailfins
04-25-2015, 01:04 PM
If you have no iron in your area, the best strategy is to build as much science as you can on a path to Engineering, build the Great Wall, then get on a path to Education, which includes Civil Service enabling you to temporarily build Pikemen. After that, get on a path to gunpowder to finally protect your civilization. Once you have Musketmen, gift your Pikemen so you don't pay maintenance on them to an allied City-State that is providing you good resources so that a rival civilization doesn't conquer them and have you lose those resources. Once you have Chemistry, build canons and take a city with lots of wonders and one that has iron so you can begin building your maritime technologies and build Frigates.