PDA

View Full Version : Vatican Forgives John Lennon For Jesus Quip

Psychoblues
11-23-2008, 08:56 PM
This has been a 40 plus year question from only the most conspiritorical of the remark by John Lennon.

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - The Vatican's newspaper has finally forgiven John Lennon for declaring that the Beatles were more famous than Jesus Christ, calling the remark a "boast" by a young man grappling with sudden fame.

The comment by Lennon to a London newspaper in 1966 infuriated Christians, particularly in the United States, some of whom burned Beatles' albums in huge pyres.

But time apparently heals all wounds.

"The remark by John Lennon, which triggered deep indignation mainly in the United States, after many years sounds only like a 'boast' by a young working-class Englishman faced with unexpected success, after growing up in the legend of Elvis and rock and roll," Vatican daily Osservatore Romano said.

The article, marking the 40th anniversary of the Beatles' "The White Album," went on to praise the pop band.

"The fact remains that 38 years after breaking up, the songs of the Lennon-McCartney brand have shown an extraordinary resistance to the passage of time, becoming a source of inspiration for more than one generation of pop musicians," it said.

Lennon was murdered in New York in 1980.

Link: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=6313228

I am happy the Holy Father has finally put this question to eternal rest. I imagine the conspiracy nuts will continue.

Psychoblues

Mr. P
11-23-2008, 08:59 PM
a "boast" by a young man grappling with sudden fame.

I think that's all most folks thought of it.

Psychoblues
11-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Did you read all the articles written at the time, or listen to the daily news shows or have you paid attention through the years now, p?

I think that's all most folks thought of it.

Have you seen the FBI files as composed and protected by one J. Edgar Hoover about John Lennon and that particular remark, p? Making light of it now will not excuse your ignorance.

Psychoblues

Mr. P
11-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Did you read all the articles written at the time, or listen to the daily news shows or have you paid attention through the years now, p?

Have you seen the FBI files as composed and protected by one J. Edgar Hoover about John Lennon and that particular remark, p? Making light of it now will not excuse your ignorance.

Psychoblues

No not "all the articles written at the time" you?...and J. Edgar Hoover was a flaming ass.

darin
11-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Why the hell would the vatican care what a non-believer said?

fwiw, IMO, all beatles music is terrible.

Mr. P
11-23-2008, 09:22 PM

Agreed

Psychoblues
11-23-2008, 09:23 PM
John Lennon was more of a believer than you want to admit, dimples.

And just who gives a rat's ass what you think about the Beatles? I think the question here is about the comment by John Lennon, the reactions of the press, the Vatican and the general populace at the time and through the years. Just why do you always confuse things so much?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!

Psychoblues

Kathianne
11-23-2008, 09:24 PM
Agreed

haven't a clue to whether or not that 'agree' was with concept or product. In any case, seems where the rubber meets the road. Is it God, works, or word? The fact that many convolute the two later is sad.

Psychoblues
11-23-2008, 09:34 PM
The convolution presents itself even today, Kat.

haven't a clue to whether or not that 'agree' was with concept or product. In any case, seems where the rubber meets the road. Is it God, works, or word? The fact that many convolute the two later is sad.

Are you as confused as the rest?

Psychoblues

darin
11-23-2008, 09:34 PM
John Lennon was more of a believer than you want to admit, dimples.

And just who gives a rat's ass what you think about the Beatles? I think the question here is about the comment by John Lennon, the reactions of the press, the Vatican and the general populace at the time and through the years. Just why do you always confuse things so much?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!

Psychoblues

Confuse what? I'm saying, No Christian can get upset if a non-believer - or even a believer - "Insults" their faith. It's silliness.

The Comment by John Lennon? Who cares? It wasn't an issue the Church should have to forgive. It wasn't an issue any believer would have to forgive.

Mr. P
11-23-2008, 09:35 PM

I bolded my "agreed" part.

Psychoblues
11-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Do you see what I mean by the confusion, dimples?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!

Confuse what? I'm saying, No Christian can get upset if a non-believer - or even a believer - "Insults" their faith. It's silliness.

The Comment by John Lennon? Who cares? It wasn't an issue the Church should have to forgive. It wasn't an issue any believer would have to forgive.

The "Church" condemned John Lennon at the time. Presently they have decided to retract. Long time coming.

Psychoblues

Mr. P
11-23-2008, 09:52 PM

The "Church" condemned John Lennon at the time. Presently they have decided to retract. Long time coming.

Psychoblues

New Pope too by what, 3? A non issue, PB.

Psychoblues
11-23-2008, 10:00 PM
?

New Pope too by what, 3? A non issue, PB.

I thinketh that you are full of shit, pee.

Psychoblues

Mr. P
11-23-2008, 10:07 PM
?

I thinketh that you are full of shit, pee.

Psychoblues

My...such vulgarity from such a wise one. :laugh2:

Psychoblues
11-23-2008, 10:16 PM
In such an environment of vileness and impropriety, pee, just how do you contain yourself?

My...such vulgarity from such a wise one. :laugh2:

Thanks for the recognition!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Mr. P
11-23-2008, 10:17 PM
In such an environment of vileness and impropriety, pee, just how do you contain yourself?

Thanks for the recognition!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Sarcasm is holy. :slap:

Psychoblues
11-23-2008, 10:29 PM
Indeed!!!!!!!!!!

Sarcasm is holy. :slap:

:beer:

Psychoblues

darin
11-23-2008, 11:07 PM

Psychoblues

Then The "Church" was stupid.

Sitarro
11-23-2008, 11:18 PM

All Beatles music is terrible??? Really, every bit of it? Every #1 song? I guess I would have to ask what you consider great music to be to qualify this all encompassing statement.

Psychoblues
11-23-2008, 11:27 PM
What is your interpretation of the word "was", dimples?

Then The "Church" was stupid.

I think it pretty much still is, if you know what I mean by the work "is"?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Psychoblues

darin
11-24-2008, 08:20 AM
All Beatles music is terrible??? Really, every bit of it? Every #1 song? I guess I would have to ask what you consider great music to be to qualify this all encompassing statement.

There's nothing they did that moves me to any length. Some of it's catchy? But generally, sylistically, musically, and composition-wise, their music doesn't appeal to me at all.

Immanuel
11-24-2008, 09:01 AM

Psychoblues

I agree with dmp on this one. It wasn't an issue. It should never have been an issue. It almost sounds "Islamic" in the fact that they "condemned" John Lennon for a remark he made. Hell, I didn't remember it... then again, I was no Lennon fan.

The Vatican should have just left the entire issue in the forgotten comments file.

Immie

Psychoblues
11-25-2008, 11:43 PM
Whether you agree or not, immie, is beside the point.

I agree with dmp on this one. It wasn't an issue. It should never have been an issue. It almost sounds "Islamic" in the fact that they "condemned" John Lennon for a remark he made. Hell, I didn't remember it... then again, I was no Lennon fan.

The Vatican should have just left the entire issue in the forgotten comments file.

Immie

It obviously is and was an issue. Even someone as uninformed as you have to agree with that, don't you?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

Psychoblues

darin
11-25-2008, 11:47 PM
...and it's obvious the vatican is being silly. :)

Psychoblues
11-25-2008, 11:54 PM
The Vatican, dimples, is as serious as life, death and the ressurrection at all times, don't you know?

...and it's obvious the vatican is being silly. :)

Making light of the most public decision of the Pope to apologize for the previous indescretions should be taken seriously as well. Hellbound you most cretainly are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

crin63
11-26-2008, 02:22 AM
Taken in the context of the time its understandable why the comment caused such outrage. Allot of people saw what they perceived as the declination of American society and that was a fairly bold in your face kind of comment for the time. It was a much more proper and well mannered society then. The commonplace things people say now would have been shocking then.

I really don't see any need for the Vatican to make this statement now unless there is money in it for them somehow.

Immanuel
11-26-2008, 03:35 PM
Whether you agree or not, immie, is beside the point.

It obviously is and was an issue. Even someone as uninformed as you have to agree with that, don't you?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

Psychoblues

Me thinks you are the one that is uninformed. It was not an issue. I doubt if you polled 1500 people in the country if 50 would have even remembered the comment. Not an issue at all.

Sending a Busch your way,

Immie

Des
12-02-2008, 06:33 PM
How nice. I didn't know Jesus recommended a 40 year wait time on your forgiveness.

Psychoblues
12-03-2008, 02:24 AM
Thanks, immie!!!!!!!!!!!

Me thinks you are the one that is uninformed. It was not an issue. I doubt if you polled 1500 people in the country if 50 would have even remembered the comment. Not an issue at all.

Sending a Busch your way,

Immie

Could I offer you an egg nog with a little bourbon??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

actsnoblemartin
12-03-2008, 12:09 PM
[QUOTE=Psychoblues;326890]John Lennon was more of a believer than you want to admit, dimples.

beatles music terrible :eek:

what planet are you two living on?

they are (arguably) the most influential band ever

crin63
12-03-2008, 12:39 PM
If the actual words that were used were in fact sinful the Vatican cant forgive it on behalf of God anyway. Thats just absurd.

I see the statement as an indictment of a Godless society and Lennons remarks were just an off the cuff reflection of what may very well have been true at that point in time. As the people of the world and particularly the USA were turning from worshiping God to worshiping themselves and whatever made them feel good. It was a pivotal time in our history and where our decline really took foothold.

-Cp
12-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Given the beatle's popularity at the time - his statement could've been true... who knows?

Abbey Marie
12-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Given the beatle's popularity at the time - his statement could've been true... who knows?

More importantly, "Who cares"?

JL was a self-indulgent, negative man, who cheated on his wife and ignored his first-born son. Why would anyone care about him enough to forgive him posthumously?

Silver
12-05-2008, 08:51 PM
I see nothing in the link about the Vatican forgiving anybody for anything....

To assume the Vatican was angry about anything in the first place has no validity....

If they said the man made a boastful comment about his being more famous than Christ...thats it....no big deal....
I agree...it was a boast...and the fact that some few got pissed about it has nothing to do with the Vatican .....

If Nancy Polosi said it was a boastful comment does that immediately mean that the US Senate forgives Lennon....?
Its a crap conclusion for an innocent opinion...

Kathianne
12-05-2008, 09:00 PM
This has been a 40 plus year question from only the most conspiritorical of the remark by John Lennon.

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - The Vatican's newspaper has finally forgiven John Lennon for declaring that the Beatles were more famous than Jesus Christ, calling the remark a "boast" by a young man grappling with sudden fame.

The comment by Lennon to a London newspaper in 1966 infuriated Christians, particularly in the United States, some of whom burned Beatles' albums in huge pyres.

But time apparently heals all wounds.

"The remark by John Lennon, which triggered deep indignation mainly in the United States, after many years sounds only like a 'boast' by a young working-class Englishman faced with unexpected success, after growing up in the legend of Elvis and rock and roll," Vatican daily Osservatore Romano said.

The article, marking the 40th anniversary of the Beatles' "The White Album," went on to praise the pop band.

"The fact remains that 38 years after breaking up, the songs of the Lennon-McCartney brand have shown an extraordinary resistance to the passage of time, becoming a source of inspiration for more than one generation of pop musicians," it said.

Lennon was murdered in New York in 1980.

Link: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=6313228

I am happy the Holy Father has finally put this question to eternal rest. I imagine the conspiracy nuts will continue.

Psychoblues
What did the Holy Father say? I missed that. Could it be a tad of hyperbole on PB's part?