PDA

View Full Version : Country Fried Steak, Taters, Fresh Greens

Psychoblues
11-24-2008, 02:25 AM
I don't have a damned clue as to how my wife makes 'em but all that and a pone of cornbread, some sliced mater and onion and and some sweet iced tea keeps this ol' cowboy charged up for a day or two!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

5stringJeff
11-24-2008, 07:39 PM
My wife makes some excellent chicken fried steak as well! We usually have mashed potatoes, corn, buscuits, and gravy with it.

Mr. P
11-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Oooooooooooo

Country Fried Steak, white gravy, mashed taters, green beans cooked with bacon fat.....HEAVEN!!! :thumb:

Psychoblues
12-03-2008, 05:39 AM
Country fried and chicken fried are 2 different things in my neck of the woods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

jackass
12-03-2008, 04:04 PM
This whole thread is useless without any recipes!! :cheers2:

Psychoblues
12-09-2008, 12:43 AM
Like most men, ja, I do the brunt of the outdoor grillin' but I have no clue as to how my wife does the domestic kitchen thing!!!!!!!!!!!! All I know is that I truly love her talents as is evident in the fact that I weighed 135 lbs. when I married her and I now weigh about 185!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When my wife cooks the whole world starts singing in my ears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cheers2:

Psychoblues

5stringJeff
12-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Country fried and chicken fried are 2 different things in my neck of the woods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

OK, I'll confess ignorance... what's the difference?

Kathianne
12-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Anything 'fried' sounds yummy, but not healthy. Just saying...

Mr. P
12-09-2008, 10:30 PM

None I know of..just a geographic title best I can tell.

Psychoblues
12-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Chicken fried steak is breaded in white flower and normally served with white gravy. Country fried is normally tenderised, unbreaded and served with a brown onion gravy rather like beef liver usually is. Both are generally made from an inexpensive cut of beef. I freakin' hate liver of any description!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Mr. P
12-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Chicken fried steak is breaded in white flower and normally served with white gravy. Country fried is normally tenderised, unbreaded and served with a brown onion gravy rather like beef liver usually is. Both are generally made from an inexpensive cut of beef. I freakin' hate liver of any description!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

We call that Swiss Steak over here.

I'm shock, I tell ya, SHOCKED that you don't like fried chicken livers, taters and green beans! On the otherhand no one will ever get a chittlin in my mouth either. Carry on!

Psychoblues
12-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Swiss steak is very similar but not exact, pee. Swiss steak uses an entirely different type seasoning (I don't know what it is but I know it's good) and Swiss steak is also usually cut from a better cut of beef like thin sirloin or a good strip. Tastewise there is no comparison in my opinion.

We call that Swiss Steak over here.

I'm shock, I tell ya, SHOCKED that you don't like fried chicken livers, taters and green beans! On the otherhand no one will ever get a chittlin in my mouth either. Carry on!

Actually, I can eat fried chicken livers but just a few is all I can stand. Breaded and fried chicken gizzards, on the other hand, I'll go pretty far out of my way to get!!!!!!!!!!!!! And, I'm like you, the chittlins and me will not be caught in one anothers company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some of my neighbors, hell, some my my kinfolk, would fight you over what they consider good chittlin's!!!!!!!!!!!

Bon Apetite!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

5stringJeff
12-10-2008, 10:09 PM

Psychoblues

OK... in that case, we do chicken fried steak. My wife uses cube steak to cook it with.

Psychoblues
12-10-2008, 10:28 PM
I think my wife usually uses a minute cut, a round cut or cube as your wife does, jeffie.

OK... in that case, we do chicken fried steak. My wife uses cube steak to cook it with.

She's a danged good Southern gal and Southern cook. God should've made more of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bon Appetite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues
01-29-2009, 02:50 AM
How come nobody wants to talk about them good greens, taters, maters and fresh or sliced onions?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!????!

Not to mention that cornbread that would make a grown man come to tears over?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!??!?

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Psychoblues

Noir
01-29-2009, 05:47 AM
Fried Chicken Liver?!?!? Great Scott, people eat chicken livers, =/

Trigg
01-29-2009, 10:33 AM

I don't think you have room to talk, I've seen some of the weird stuff that masquerades as food in England.

I've never had fried chicken liver, but my mom always cuts it up and puts it in her chicken pie for added flavor.

Hubby also once got talked into "mountain oysters" by an uncle of mine.

Mr. P
01-29-2009, 11:47 AM
I don't think you have room to talk, I've seen some of the weird stuff that masquerades as food in England.

I've never had fried chicken liver, but my mom always cuts it up and puts it in her chicken pie for added flavor.

Hubby also once got talked into "mountain oysters" by an uncle of mine.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:...And?

Trigg
01-29-2009, 04:45 PM
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:...And?

He didn't think they were to bad. I didn't try them yuck!!

Psychoblues
02-04-2009, 05:32 AM
Anyone up for a kidney pie??!?!?!?!????!?!?!?

Psychoblues

Jeff
02-05-2009, 05:53 PM

It may be useless but it just made me hungry as hell.

Psychoblues
02-06-2009, 12:53 AM
Chow down, Jeff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It may be useless but it just made me hungry as hell.

Would you pass the cornbread?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Psychoblues

Jeff
02-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Chow down, Jeff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would you pass the cornbread?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Psychoblues

Morning time now Psyco , but I will be more than happy to cook up some eggs , grits , and country ham , the wife will have to cook up some of those biscuits , dang doing it again ,lol , getting hungry,lol

Guess I need to stay out of this section,lol

OCA
02-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Its called chicken fried steak, nothing else. Only northoners would refer to it as "country fried steak".

crin63
02-06-2009, 10:35 AM

They also fry up the chicken hearts as well. My grandpa loved them.

Chicken fired steak with a big ole plate of mashed taters, corn and biscuits was my favorite growing up. I may have been born in So. Cal. but I was raised by a bunch of hicks from Oklahoma and Arkansas.

Jeff
02-06-2009, 10:59 AM

Chicken fired steak with a big ole plate of mashed taters, corn and biscuits was my favorite growing up. I may have been born in So. Cal. but I was raised by a bunch of hicks from Oklahoma and Arkansas.

The Hearts are great crin , down here most gas stations that have a deli sell fried livers or gizzards, but the hearts are what I like best.

OCA
02-06-2009, 11:00 AM

Referring to it by its proper term is always good, I think Dennys started up this country fried crap because it ain't called that at the Waffle House.

Went to college in Abilene and grits with red eyed gravy was my morning routine, best hangover cure i've ever found.

Jeff
02-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Its called chicken fried steak, nothing else. Only northoners would refer to it as "country fried steak".

Down here in Ga it is called country fried steak ,at least in this part of the woods, call it what ya want but it is good, as for the northerners you refer to , if I remember right you aren't far from DC, but if I'm wrong I see ya do live in Md, so it isn't far from DC ,it may be below the line, but when I lived in SC ppl would tell me anyone north of the border was a Yankee ,lol Now in Ga there a bit better anyone north of the NC, VA line is a Yankee, anyway anyone living that close to DC is with out a doubt considered a northerner. So maybe up there in the north y'all call it Chicken fried steak.

:poke:

Jeff
02-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Referring to it by its proper term is always good, I think Dennys started up this country fried crap because it ain't called that at the Waffle House.

Went to college in Abilene and grits with red eyed gravy was my morning routine, best hangover cure i've ever found.

LOL, I tried that red eye gravy once in Tenn. lol, you are correct it would cure a hang over and then some. lol

Mr. P
02-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Down here in Ga it is called country fried steak ,at least in this part of the woods, call it what ya want but it is good, as for the northerners you refer to , if I remember right you aren't far from DC, but if I'm wrong I see ya do live in Md, so it isn't far from DC ,it may be below the line, but when I lived in SC ppl would tell me anyone north of the border was a Yankee ,lol Now in Ga there a bit better anyone north of the NC, VA line is a Yankee, anyway anyone living that close to DC is with out a doubt considered a northerner. So maybe up there in the north y'all call it Chicken fried steak.

Plus he's GREEK what the hell does a GREEK know about southern food? :laugh2:

5stringJeff
02-06-2009, 11:41 AM
I grew up in Texas, and we called it chicken fried steak. But I don't care what you call it, it's about the best meal ever!

Noir
02-06-2009, 11:49 AM

Chicken flesh, liver and heart on a plate...I fear if that was ever put infront of me it would soon be covered in a vomit sauce!

Seriously that is vile. (but I don't wana drag this topic into another meat is murder debate, as it's just a light hearted discussion, so feel free to ignore this post)

Jeff
02-06-2009, 11:50 AM
I grew up in Texas, and we called it chicken fried steak. But I don't care what you call it, it's about the best meal ever!

LOL I know you are right, I get confused with the different names ,lol, but after the first bite i know what it is, LOL , But Jeff every time I go threw Texas all I can think about is a big ol steak , never fails I either stop and get a steak, or recently I have been stopping and getting Mexican.

5stringJeff
02-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Chicken flesh, liver and heart on a plate...I fear if that was ever put infront of me it would soon be covered in a vomit sauce!

Seriously that is vile.

Chicken fried steak isn't chicken flesh, it's beef.

But I agree with you about the heart and liver... I'm not a big fan of organs.

5stringJeff
02-06-2009, 11:52 AM
LOL I know you are right, I get confused with the different names ,lol, but after the first bite i know what it is, LOL , But Jeff every time I go threw Texas all I can think about is a big ol steak , never fails I either stop and get a steak, or recently I have been stopping and getting Mexican.

Tex Mex is wonderful! I was in Texas last month for a few days and ate Tex Mex every chance I could get! Here in GA, there are a couple of decent Mexican places, but Tex Mex has its own unique flavor to it.

OCA
02-06-2009, 11:53 AM

South of the Mason Dixon.

Anyway originally it was called Chicken fried, I think some queer on the Julia Child show coined the "country fried".

Jeff
02-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Tex Mex is wonderful! I was in Texas last month for a few days and ate Tex Mex every chance I could get! Here in GA, there are a couple of decent Mexican places, but Tex Mex has its own unique flavor to it.

Jeff if ya ever get North of Atl. try going into Gainesville there are some fantastic Mexican restaurants there , My wife isn't home so I can't give ya the names , but Gainesville is refered to as little Mexico so it wont be hard to find a good one.

There is also a good Tex-Mex in Gwinett, I haven't been there in a while ( being we moved north of there) but again the wife could tell me the name, lol

5stringJeff
02-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Jeff if ya ever get North of Atl. try going into Gainesville there are some fantastic Mexican restaurants there , My wife isn't home so I can't give ya the names , but Gainesville is refered to as little Mexico so it wont be hard to find a good one.

There is also a good Tex-Mex in Gwinett, I haven't been there in a while ( being we moved north of there) but again the wife could tell me the name, lol

North of Atlanta? Anyone north of I-20 is a Yankee!!! :D

Just kidding - thanks for the tip!

Jeff
02-06-2009, 12:18 PM
North of Atlanta? Anyone north of I-20 is a Yankee!!! :D

Just kidding - thanks for the tip!

LOL , I am a Yankee , I was born and raised in NJ, I don't try to deny it, like some ppl do, :eek: I have been in the south for 18 yrs , so some say I am a re located yankee ,:laugh2:

Psychoblues
02-07-2009, 04:22 AM
There is a distinction between chicken fried and country fried in Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama and Arkansas (in no particular order) that I know for certain about. The head chef at Pleiku AB, Viet Nam also understood the distinction and used it often to the delight of all of us Southerners that were there at the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some folks here just don't know what the hell they're talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone up for a julep?!?!??!??!?!?!?!?!??!

Psychoblues

Psychoblues
03-09-2009, 11:35 PM
I don't mean to rub it in but it's not as if it hasn't been done here before?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!???!?!?!?!?

Yankees don't know shit about Southern cooking and appetites!!!!!!!!!!!!! And, it don't end there!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy your stereotypes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

MtnBiker
03-10-2009, 04:55 PM
11. s

Psychoblues
03-11-2009, 06:12 PM
11. s

Mtnbiker, you forgot to send me the Captain Blueberry decoder ring that you promised!!!!!!!!!!

:cheers2: :beer: :cheers2:

Psychoblues