PDA

View Full Version : Will Obama Be Bush's Third Term?

red states rule
11-24-2008, 09:47 AM
The kook left must be having a nervious breakdown. First Obama staff is mostly Clinton retreads, reports about second thoughts are expressed, leave Iraq right away is off the table, FISA looks like it will stay in place, now Bush tax cuts may stay in place

Now it looks like liberals are admitting tax cuts are good for the economy.

Seems Obama is doing more flip flopping now then he did during the campaign. How will this play with the liberals who wanted change - and conservatives who likely support these Obama's flip flops?

Obama Advisers Signal Tax Cuts May Stay

WASHINGTON — President-elect Barack Obama has signaled that he will pursue a far more ambitious plan of spending and tax cuts than anything he outlined on the campaign trail — a plan "big enough to deal with the huge problem we face,” a top adviser said Sunday — setting the tone for a recovery effort that could absorb and define much of his term.

A member of the Obama economic advisory team, William M. Daley, acknowledged that because of the gravity of the situation, Mr. Obama was leaning toward letting a Bush tax cut for the wealthy expire on schedule in 2011 rather than repealing it sooner.

There were hints Sunday that a stimulus package might be extraordinarily large. Austan Goolsbee, a senior Obama economic adviser, charged that the Bush administration had “dithered” as the economy turned down and suggested that the incoming administration would take dramatic action.

“We’re out with the dithering, we’re in with a bang,” he said on CBS. A senior Democrat, Senator Charles Schumer of New York, said that any package should be as much as $700 billion, equivalent to the recent financial bailout plan

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/24/us/politics/24transition.html?_r=1&hp

red states rule
11-26-2008, 07:45 PM
No replies on Obama's flip flops? I for one am relived to see him coming to his senses

Perhaps we chould start a 4 year thread that tracks the differences between the campaign rhetoric and the real life stuff that happens as the messiah come to face to face with reality.

Yurt
11-26-2008, 07:55 PM
No replies on Obama's flip flops? I for one am relived to see him coming to his senses

Perhaps we chould start a 4 year thread that tracks the differences between the campaign rhetoric and the real life stuff that happens as the messiah come to face to face with reality.

:laugh2:

red states rule
11-26-2008, 07:59 PM
:laugh2:

I am to see PE Obama flipping on such important issuse Yurt. The fact he may NOT raise taxes, close Gitmo, cut and run from rom Iraq, and continue to have our intel agencies listen to the terrorists phone calls

I am relieved to see PE Obama come around to my way of thinking

Now, if I could get him to listen to me on spending cuts and Judges

Joe Steel
11-27-2008, 08:32 AM

Coming to his senses? What does that mean? Do you think Obama is now a "supply-sider?"

Maybe this is just political calculation. Why deal with the hopelessly misinformed but well-regimented dead-enders who actually think tax cuts are always good for the economy when the time and effort could be better spent?

Bush's tax cuts were part of the reason the American economy is a disaster but not the biggest part. Maybe Obama wants to concentrate his administration's efforts on conservatism's larger mistakes before taking-on its lesser mistakes.

manu1959
11-27-2008, 04:29 PM
Coming to his senses? What does that mean? Do you think Obama is now a "supply-sider?"

Maybe this is just political calculation. Why deal with the hopelessly misinformed but well-regimented dead-enders who actually think tax cuts are always good for the economy when the time and effort could be better spent?

Bush's tax cuts were part of the reason the American economy is a disaster but not the biggest part. Maybe Obama wants to concentrate his administration's efforts on conservatism's larger mistakes before taking-on its lesser mistakes.

so tax cuts resulted in banks giving out liar loans and liars not paying loans they couldnot afford...

REDWHITEBLUE2
11-27-2008, 06:47 PM
I Think the who said it best....... MEET THE NEW BOSS SAME AS THE OLD BOSS :dance:

Joe Steel
11-28-2008, 06:29 AM
so tax cuts resulted in banks giving out liar loans and liars not paying loans they couldnot afford...

As a matter of fact, they did.

Giving tax cuts to the rich were intended to produce investment. That's the whole point of supply-side economics. However, with the American market short on purchasing power because of Conservative economic policy, investment in real assets was pointless. The tax cuts had to go somewhere so banks created highly speculative investments.

red states rule
12-01-2008, 07:25 AM

When I see the left wing bloggers upset over Obama's cabinet picks, and hear his aides saying his tax increases would harm the economy - he is coming to his senses and understanding that tax increases harm the economy