PDA

View Full Version : Okami

Hobbit
03-24-2007, 02:45 PM
I borrowed this game from a friend, and I must say, it's amazing. I'm barely even into this 30+ hour game, and I'm already enthralled. The artwork is both unique and beautiful, while the gameplay and story are rather unique.

For those of you who have no idea what this game is about, it's about Okami Amaterasu (I think that's how you spell it), the white wolf/sun goddess who is supposedly the mother of the line of Japanese Emporers. In the game, she journeys across the island of Nippon, bringing life and fertility back to the land while ridding it of the evil corruption of the demon, Orochi. The graphics are made to resemble Japanese artwork, with every line and texture looking as though it was carefully made with a brush stroke. It even brings this uniqueness into the gameplay, as Ametaresu's primary divind power is the ability to use a celestial painbrush to draw things into the game, such as streams of water, flames, sword strokes, plants, and even cherry bombs. She can even draw the sun and moon in the sky to affect the day/night cycle, and the paintbrush abilities are beautifully and innovatively incorporated in to the boss battles and even the standard fights. For example, there are corrupted flowers in the game. To defeat them, you must stun them, then use your brush to cause them to bloom, exposing their vulnerable parts. A giant spider/corrupted flower boss is defeated by connecting painted vines to the petals to pull it open. The most rewarding part of the game, however, is when a significant source of corruption is cleansed, and you're treated to beautiful Japanese music while a wave of water and blooming flowers flows across the landscape, turning everything green and beautiful.

If you have a PS2, get this game. If you don't have a PS2, they're pretty cheap right now.

dan
03-25-2007, 02:40 PM
It is an amazing game. It's really unlike most games I've played before. If I have one slight complaint, it's that the opening cutscene was soooo long. It was gorgeous and very enveloping, but I was really wanting to get into the game!

I'm stuck right now. I'm at the part where you have to find some girl's five dogs or something like that (it's been a while since I've played). But, just wandering around painting into the environment is pretty fun.

Hobbit
03-25-2007, 03:00 PM
It is an amazing game. It's really unlike most games I've played before. If I have one slight complaint, it's that the opening cutscene was soooo long. It was gorgeous and very enveloping, but I was really wanting to get into the game!

I'm stuck right now. I'm at the part where you have to find some girl's five dogs or something like that (it's been a while since I've played). But, just wandering around painting into the environment is pretty fun.

Eight dogs, actually, and I'm past that part if you need any help.

manu1959
03-25-2007, 03:05 PM
beautiful game......got stuck for weeks....finally gave up

dan
03-26-2007, 08:29 AM
Eight dogs, actually, and I'm past that part if you need any help.

I might take you up on it once I get back into it. I just bought GTA: Vice City Stories this weekend, so I'm wrapped up in that.