PDA

View Full Version : A grim reminder

Noir
11-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Not sure what forum this should be posted in, but i'll post it here.

My dad has had to take up a 2nd job over the past few weeks, to help with the current credit crunch. The job being delivering bathroom accessories across the country on Mondays and Tuesdays.

Normally he would deliver to a company called 'Soaks', unloading the baths and sinks into a metal hanger in an industrial estate. But today, for the first tuesday in about 6 they did not place an order.

When my dad got home tonight and turned on the news he was greeted with the following.

A pipe bomb has been found in south Belfast.
It was discovered at commercial premises on Apollo Road, off the Boucher Road, at around 1300 GMT on Tuesday.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7749021.stm

My dad was in the Royal Irish Regiment for 22 years, it seems obvious that someone has recognised him and planted a pipe bomb for him, when it became obvious that he was not delivering today (as he normally delivers in the morning) they tipped of the police.

My dad's laughing it off, "Survived 20 years patrolling the streets of Belfast with bombs and bullets peppering the city, killed in action delivering a bathroom sink..."

It has come as a rather sudden shock of reality, and i was awoken to where i thought my country was, and where it really is.

Noir
11-25-2008, 07:11 PM
Ack, damnit, the title was meant to read 'A grim reminder' if a Mod could please change (atleast i did realise, just a second too late)

Said1
11-25-2008, 07:16 PM
You're saying someone tried to kill your father?

Noir
11-25-2008, 07:19 PM
Yerp.

The area is strongly catholic, my dad is Ex-RIR and UDR, he delivers every tuesday, and someone had to plant a bomb in a hanger that is normally just full of bathroom accessories. Then a few hours after my dad was meant to deliver to the hanger and it becomes clear he is not delivering the police get tipped off, seems all to obvious.

5stringJeff
11-25-2008, 07:34 PM
I thought all that was overwith?

Noir
11-25-2008, 07:38 PM
So did i jeff, but it seems not, recently republicans have been upping their attacks, a few weeks ago 2 policemen got a RPG fired at the when they where on the beat in broad daylight, and they have been promising more in the future, we may only hope that these are one or two incidents by separate groups and not a co-ordinated effort.