PDA

View Full Version : Got the holster - did my first Carry tonite.

darin
11-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Holster showed up today - So, mostly because I could, I wore my pistol out and about this evening. I found the XD a little large to carry. I was wearing a button-down shirt and found it catch and exposing the pistol frequently. I'll likely find something slimmer later-on.

Anywho - I tried to take careful note, mentally, of how I felt. I felt no sense of bravado. I didn't feel louder or tougher. The only thought going thru my mind, as I felt the pistol weighing on my pants, was "IF something should happen, at least I'd have a shot (no pun intended).

http://www.d-mphotos.com/images/misc/maryholster.jpg

It's a fobus - $20? holster. I don't know if I like it or not - but it's a holster, and I'll try it for awhile.

:)

hjmick
11-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Hey! You have a nice ass!

iSng47tP-k8

Yurt
11-25-2008, 10:00 PM
holy lord...what a holster

crin63
11-25-2008, 10:02 PM
I usually use an in the pants holsters. I like the Don Hume brand quite well. Its leather instead of Kydex. If you get a leather holster formed to the shape of your gun take an hour or so to just slide the gun in and out of the holster a couple hundred times. It will make it fit quite nicely and the draw will be smooth.

darin
11-25-2008, 10:06 PM
I'll look for something better. I got this one because it was cheap. Might like it? I dunno. Whole thing felt bulky.

Mick - Who DOESNT like my ass? :D

:p

hjmick
11-25-2008, 10:08 PM
holy lord...what a holster

There was a holster in that picture?! :eek:

crin63
11-25-2008, 10:12 PM
I'll look for something better. I got this one because it was cheap. Might like it? I dunno. Whole thing felt bulky.

Mick - Who DOESNT like my ass? :D

:p

I have a couple of the Fobus holsters that style and I like them for open carry. Are you looking to carry concealed or open?

Yurt
11-25-2008, 10:13 PM
There was a holster in that picture?! :eek:

yeah, left and top of the stitching, some half loop thingy, and then it appears to be in the middle of this leather.......harness thingy

why, what are you seeing? :poke:

darin
11-25-2008, 10:14 PM
I have a couple of the Fobus holsters that style and I like them for open carry. Are you looking to carry concealed or open?

Concealed. Under coats and larger shirts, etc.

I'll probably have to get a slimmer pistol for summer carry.

hjmick
11-25-2008, 10:15 PM
why, what are you seeing? :poke:

Not enough...

Yurt
11-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Not enough...

you win

Mr. P
11-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Holster showed up today - So, mostly because I could, I wore my pistol out and about this evening. I found the XD a little large to carry. I was wearing a button-down shirt and found it catch and exposing the pistol frequently. I'll likely find something slimmer later-on.

Anywho - I tried to take careful note, mentally, of how I felt. I felt no sense of bravado. I didn't feel louder or tougher. The only thought going thru my mind, as I felt the pistol weighing on my pants, was "IF something should happen, at least I'd have a shot (no pun intended).

It's a fobus - $20? holster. I don't know if I like it or not - but it's a holster, and I'll try it for awhile.

:)

I do have some comments on the butt..but Mick stole em..that bastard! BUTT ever notice those old guys wearing those big baggy Hawaiian shits, the ones that don't tuck in? Old guys er slick bastards. :thumb:

Me...bulk is one of many reasons I went for the Glock 19.. It is heavy though with the 15 rd Mag...I haven't carried yet outside of home so I can't really give my honest eval..yet. Guessing it's something ya just get used to. Like moving yer wallet from one pocket to the other.

hjmick
11-25-2008, 10:49 PM
you win

I just hope it's his wife/girlfriend and not his 15 year old daughter!

crin63
11-25-2008, 11:05 PM
There is this option as well. My buddy carries his XD in one of these. Someone else makes it in a tank top version. Its like under armor.

Psychoblues
11-26-2008, 12:17 AM
I've been carrying for about 40 years now, dimples. My dick hasn't grown an inch because of it.

How is your's doing?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Psychoblues

darin
11-26-2008, 12:18 AM
Still tiny...and to the left. :(

Psychoblues
11-26-2008, 12:27 AM
Maybe you just need to get a bigger gun?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!??!? Have you ever thought about a good ol' big pickup truck?!?!?!?!?!?!??!??!?!??!?

Still tiny...and to the left. :(

Psychoblues

Little-Acorn
11-26-2008, 01:31 AM
I felt no sense of bravado. I didn't feel louder or tougher.
Why would you feel louder or tougher? Have you been listening to liberal hysteria rather than practical experience?

The gun-haters rely on people who have never carried, and try to pump them up with fear and horror over the terrible things that gun owners will do. Pick up a gun and you'll become a swaggering, arrogant, aggressive trigger-happy maniac. Or so the haters tell you.

Now you know the truth. Quite a different story, isn't it.

When I carry, my main feeling is that I must be careful. Carrying a gun is a big responsibility. If I have to use it, the damage I might do, is very worrisome. I must be sure to do everything as right as I can.

That pistol you have is pretty bulky. As you mentioned, you may need a slimmer one for summer (or any concealed) carry. Mine aren't much better - a Taurus 9mm and .380. Both have "double-stack" magazines, that hold the ammo in a zigzag pattern, rather than straight in a single line. Yours is probably like that too, correct? Double-stacks carry more ammo, but are thicker than singles. Like most things, it's a tradeoff.

crin63
11-26-2008, 01:38 AM
That pistol you have is pretty bulky. As you mentioned, you may need a slimmer one for summer (or any concealed) carry. Mine aren't much better - a Taurus 9mm and .380. Both have "double-stack" magazines, that hold the ammo in a zigzag pattern, rather than straight in a single line. Yours is probably like that too, correct? Double-stacks carry more ammo, but are thicker than singles. Like most things, it's a tradeoff.

L-A which Taurus 9mm do you have? How do you like it?

I have the PT-111 Millenium Pro.

Psychoblues
11-26-2008, 01:53 AM
The inadequacies of of gun toters that feel compelled to exhibit braggadocio and self importance are well documented.

Know what I mean?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Psychoblues

Little-Acorn
11-26-2008, 11:56 AM
The inadequacies of of gun toters that feel compelled to exhibit braggadocio and self importance are well documented.
True even in this thread:

I've been carrying for about 40 years now, dimples. My dick hasn't grown an inch because of it.
Fortunately, most people don't bother with such concerns.

Little-Acorn
11-26-2008, 12:01 PM
L-A which Taurus 9mm do you have? How do you like it?
PT-99 and 92, and PT-58S, the old Beretta copies. They fit my hand like they grew there, hence my favoring them. The 92's sights are dead on, and it has the decocker. But they are kind of thick for concealed carry, which just means I wear a loose jacket over them.

crin63
11-26-2008, 12:24 PM
PT-99 and 92, and PT-58S, the old Beretta copies. They fit my hand like they grew there, hence my favoring them. The 92's sights are dead on, and it has the decocker. But they are kind of thick for concealed carry, which just means I wear a loose jacket over them.

Mine is the small compact carry size but I really don't like the trigger pull on the first round. It has about 3/4" of trigger slack. I have a Beretta 92 which my wife loves but it just doesn't fit my hand well. I find that good ole 1911's with combat grips seem to just become a part of hand.

Little-Acorn
11-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Mine is the small compact carry size but I really don't like the trigger pull on the first round. It has about 3/4" of trigger slack. I have a Beretta 92 which my wife loves but it just doesn't fit my hand well. I find that good ole 1911's with combat grips seem to just become a part of hand.

Different strokes for different folks. The 1911 seems awkward to me, and the Tauri (or Beretta 92 or Cheetah) do for me what the 1911 does for you. If it feels good, do it!

darin
12-01-2008, 08:26 AM
After wearing this holster out several times I'm sure it'll never work (with this weapon, anyway) as an every-day holster. MUCH too bulky. I'll look for a good IWB type, I think.

gabosaurus
12-02-2008, 01:59 AM
My dick hasn't grown an inch because of it.

If your dick grew an inch, it would double in size. :p

emmett
12-02-2008, 02:13 AM
If your dick grew an inch, it would double in size. :p

If you got a positive rep for that statement......your rep total would double in size!