PDA

View Full Version : Because it's all about SAFETY!!! Yeah RIGHT

darin
11-26-2008, 12:23 AM
At least NYC admits it...

Traffic Tickets? They are about Increasing city revenue.

NEW YORK (CBS) ― You may have begun to notice more traffic tickets being written. And you may have guessed -- correctly -- that it has to do with getting New York City more money. Well, brace yourselves, the city is putting 200 more ticket-writing traffic agents to work.

The city's latest move to close the budget gap is annoying New Yorkers to no end. Soon, you may not be able to avoid the police no matter what you do. Approximately 100 of the agents will be in Manhattan; the other 100 will be spread out across the other boroughs.

http://wcbstv.com/politics/nyc.ticket.blitz.2.874084.html

Noir
11-26-2008, 04:18 AM
At least NYC admits it...

Traffic Tickets? They are about Increasing city revenue.

http://wcbstv.com/politics/nyc.ticket.blitz.2.874084.html

Well if you don't want to contribute to New Yorks money pot then don't park illegaly. Simple as.

It's the same with speed cameras, so many people say they're a stealth tax, imagin that, a tax that you can chose not to pay as long as you obey the law.

n

darin
11-26-2008, 06:20 AM
dont get me started on speed cameras - those cause more accidents than they prevent. SERIOUS scam.

Noir
11-26-2008, 08:16 AM
we use average speed cameras now, much safer that the old fixed ones.

And it's not a scam, don't break the law and you don't get fined.

The ClayTaurus
11-26-2008, 09:33 AM
we use average speed cameras now, much safer that the old fixed ones.

And it's not a scam, don't break the law and you don't get fined.But speeding cameras actually decrease driver safety, in the name of tax revenue.

Noir
11-26-2008, 11:08 AM
But speeding cameras actually decrease driver safety, in the name of tax revenue.

I agree that the 'Spot' speed cameras are not great, but they are now being replaced (in my country anyway and i assume that others will do the same) with average speed cameras, they track your progress along the road, gauging your average speed between several points. Much more effective and much safer.

As for the tax bit, it is only a tax against those who break the law, don't break the law, don't pay the tax.

The ClayTaurus
11-26-2008, 02:33 PM
I agree that the 'Spot' speed cameras are not great, but they are now being replaced (in my country anyway and i assume that others will do the same) with average speed cameras, they track your progress along the road, gauging your average speed between several points. Much more effective and much safer.

As for the tax bit, it is only a tax against those who break the law, don't break the law, don't pay the tax.Safety issue aside, it leads to roads clogging up. Slow everyone down, more cars on the roads, more emissions. Traffic cameras are no good, other than as a revenue source. The goal should be to improve the safety of the roads.

Noir
11-27-2008, 08:05 AM
Safety issue aside, it leads to roads clogging up. Slow everyone down, more cars on the roads, more emissions. Traffic cameras are no good, other than as a revenue source. The goal should be to improve the safety of the roads.

It makes everyone go at the speed limit, sorry if you see that as an anoyance that slows drivers down, but the limit is there for a reason. Arguements such as 'they cause more cars on the road' seems to hold vey little weight, they are there to detect and fine those who break the law.

The ClayTaurus
11-29-2008, 07:47 PM
It makes everyone go at the speed limit, sorry if you see that as an anoyance that slows drivers down, but the limit is there for a reason. Arguements such as 'they cause more cars on the road' seems to hold vey little weight, they are there to detect and fine those who break the law.And what is the reason for that limit again? I doubt very little you're actually sorry.

How does that argument hold little weight? It's absolutely fail-proof 100% guaranteed truth. Make everyone drive slower, it's going to take everyone longer to get where they're going, which is going to increase the average number of cars on the road at any given time.

Noir
11-30-2008, 05:39 AM
And what is the reason for that limit again? I doubt very little you're actually sorry.

How does that argument hold little weight? It's absolutely fail-proof 100% guaranteed truth. Make everyone drive slower, it's going to take everyone longer to get where they're going, which is going to increase the average number of cars on the road at any given time.

You want me to exlain why there is a speed limit? You really don't know? Sweet Jesus.

Yeah everyone will be going at the speed limit. So it will take everyone longer to get were they are going...how to solve such a problem?...maybe we should just get rid of speed limits, I mean then people can go as fast as they want to get to their destinations really quickly, and considering you don't know why we have speed limits it would be the perfect soloution, no?

The ClayTaurus
11-30-2008, 11:32 AM
You want me to exlain why there is a speed limit? You really don't know? Sweet Jesus.Don't be a jackass. I want to know why YOU think we have speed limits. That has nothing to do with my thoughts on why we have speed limits. It was a nice dodge of the question though, so I'll give you credit there.
Yeah everyone will be going at the speed limit. So it will take everyone longer to get were they are going...how to solve such a problem?...maybe we should just get rid of speed limits, I mean then people can go as fast as they want to get to their destinations really quickly, and considering you don't know why we have speed limits it would be the perfect soloution, no?In my perfect world? Yes. There wouldn't be speed limits, because instead of trying to protect people by little signs with numbers on them, there would be an intense education on HOW to drive, and driving for conditions would be the backbone of that education. And before you make some smartass comment, I do realize this utopian dream will never happen.

If you do some digging, you'll see slowing drivers down (at least in the United States) has, at best, a mixed reaction in terms of the effect on safety. Everyone tried that "It's safer!" bit with the National Maximum Speed Law after the oil crisis ended; THAT argument held very little weight. My point through all of this is that if what you really care about is making the roads safer, there are a multitude of other options that have better results.