PDA

View Full Version : DEVELOPING: Terror Attacks Strikes India's Mumbai

namvet
11-26-2008, 07:50 PM
DEVELOPING: Several sites in Mumbai, India's financial capital, were hit Wednesday night by a wave of terror attacks, reportedly aimed at Americans and Britons, that left dozens dead and hundreds injured as Indian forces battled with terrorist gunmen to free hostages from two luxury hotels.

story (story)

Scores Killed In Mumbai Attacks

INDIA: ISLAMIC JIHAD SHOOTINGS, BOMB BLASTS UPDATED: KILL OVER 700, HUNDREDS INJURED:"MASSIVE TERROR ATTACK" UNFOLDING

link (link)

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/./photos/uncategorized/2008/11/26/mumbai.jpg

red states rule
11-26-2008, 08:13 PM
A muslim group has claimed responsibilty and they are targeting westerners.

How will the left blame Pres Bush for this????

namvet
11-26-2008, 08:14 PM
A muslim group has claimed responsibilty and they are targeting westerners.

How will the left blame Pres Bush for this????

this may just be the beginning.

5stringJeff
11-27-2008, 10:52 AM
India should be able to stand on its own, militarily. But this is really sad. :(

crin63
11-27-2008, 11:05 AM
Its truly sad to see the loss of life. I predict its gonna get worse.

Interesting that it didn't happen until after our elections. When I read the headline I figured it was just Dims orchestrating more financial chaos so that their dear leader could implement more regulations later.

April15
11-27-2008, 04:25 PM
India is aligned with the western world. The religious nuts are trying to use fear to get India to return to Sharia law. And dis-associate from the western ideals it has embraced.

OH! and it's Bush's fault. There ya happy?

Yurt
11-27-2008, 04:31 PM
India is aligned with the western world. The religious nuts are trying to use fear to get India to return to Sharia law. And dis-associate from the western ideals it has embraced.

:coffee:

manu1959
11-27-2008, 04:31 PM

so those indian civilians deserved it becuase they would rather be "western" than religious zelots......

you were probably pro spanish inquisition in your previous life....

April15
11-27-2008, 04:34 PM
so those indian civilians deserved it becuase they would rather be "western" than religious zelots......

you were probably pro spanish inquisition in your previous life....I was a worm in a previous life as I know the ins and outs so well! Happy Thanksgiving.

April15
11-27-2008, 04:35 PM
:coffee:Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

namvet
11-27-2008, 09:08 PM
and if these are Islamic terrorists India will probalby blame it on Pakistan..you then you 2 nuke power confronting each other. and we'll probably get sucked into it.
It is not clear the degree to which the Pakistani government can control the situation. But the Indians will have no choice but to be assertive, and the United States will move along the same line. Whether it is the current government in India that reacts, or one that succeeds doesn’t matter. Either way, India is under enormous pressure to respond. Therefore the events point to a serious crisis not simply between Pakistan and India, but within Pakistan as well, with the government caught between foreign powers and domestic realities. Given the circumstances, massive destabilization is possible * never a good thing with a nuclear power.

This is thinking far ahead of the curve, and is based on an assumption of the truth of something we don’t know for certain yet, which is that the attackers were Muslims and that the Pakistanis will not be able to demonstrate categorically that they weren’t involved. Since we suspect they were Muslims, and since we doubt the Pakistanis can be categorical and convincing enough to thwart Indian demands, we suspect that we will be deep into a crisis within the next few days, very shortly after the situation on the ground clarifies itself.

URGENT: Indian Forces Fight for Control of Hotels, Jewish Center; Indian Officials Probe Possible Pakistan Connection
link (link)

April15
11-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Namvet,
After tonights news I think you are correct in the hypothesis. Not good for the world.

namvet
11-27-2008, 09:23 PM
first time ive heard "Jewish Center " my god if they have jews they'll kill em. and Israel will retailate !!!!

this attack was long overdue. will they now activate their cell here with the change of power coming up????

Kathianne
11-28-2008, 01:01 PM
There's little doubt this was a very well organized attack, by committed terrorists. The implications to the US are huge, indeed Biden's warning about challenge to Obama is coming forward more quickly than could have been anticipated. Links at site:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=OGY1OTBmMTNmYWYyYTRlZWU2Nzc2YzBlNDlhMzhiY2Q=

Both of the above [Mark Steyn]
Andy wrote yesterday about our confused thinking re events in Bombay:

The obsession over whether al Qaeda or its endless jumble of affiliates pulled off the operation is a misguided attempt to mimimize the challenge. The bin Laden network is not unimportant, but it is tapping into something that is much bigger than itself.

We're reluctant to address that "bigger than itself" elephant. All jihad is local: If rockets are fired at Israel, it's a failure to settle the Palestinian question. If an NHS doctor drives a flaming Cherokee into the check-in desk at Glasgow Airport, it must be Tony Blair's foreign policy. The Jerusalem Post's headline writer poses the question:

Homegrown Terror Or International Jihad?

False choice. The answer is: Homegrown terror in the service of international jihad. Clearly, India has had a Muslim problem to one degree or another in the 60 years since partition, but increasingly those locally driven grievances have been absorbed within the global pan-Islamic ideology. What strikes you, as the dust clears in Bombay, is that one assault provided an umbrella for manifestations of almost every strain of Muslim grievance.

There's the local element - the fatal shooting of the city's anti-terror squad, and other prominent officials. There's the crusader element - the targeting of British and American passport holders. There's the Jew-hating element - the Munich massacre nesting within the more general carnage.

And there are the more ironic nuances of jihad: British subjects were to be found not just among the victims but among the perpetrators.

To pose the question as that Jerusalem Post headline is to miss the point. Moreover, the global ideologues correctly see our determination to attribute every attack to purely local phenomena unconnected to any bigger picture as a sign of weakness.

retiredman
11-28-2008, 02:08 PM
There's little doubt this was a very well organized attack, by committed terrorists. The implications to the US are huge, indeed Biden's warning about challenge to Obama is coming forward more quickly than could have been anticipated.

are you suggesting or implying that, if McCain had won, this attack would NOT have happened?

Mr. P
11-28-2008, 02:21 PM
are you suggesting or implying that, if McCain had won, this attack would NOT have happened?

Are you holding to the liberal chant that the world hated Bush an with a new Dimwit Pres everything would be peaches & cream and everyone would love the west again and all of these attacks would stop? :laugh2:

Kathianne
11-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Are you holding to the liberal chant that the world hated Bush an with a new Dimwit Pres everything would be peaches & cream and everyone would love the west again and all of these attacks would stop? :laugh2:
I'd be more of the camp that he was trying to bait. He's been very successful at cutting down all conversation. I have him on virtual ignore. Mr P., to you and yours a wonderful holiday season!

namvet
11-28-2008, 02:45 PM
but this isn't Jihad. if so it would have been over in secs.

retiredman
11-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Are you holding to the liberal chant that the world hated Bush an with a new Dimwit Pres everything would be peaches & cream and everyone would love the west again and all of these attacks would stop?

That was not my question or my implication at all. reread my post and try again.

retiredman
11-28-2008, 03:17 PM
I'd be more of the camp that he was trying to bait. He's been very successful at cutting down all conversation. I have him on virtual ignore. Mr P., to you and yours a wonderful holiday season!I am not trying to bait in any way. I note that you seem to think that this is a challenge to Obama and that it is coming forward more quickly than could have been anticipated. I only wanted to know whether you think that a McCain victory would have stopped such a challenge?

Silver
11-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by Kathianne
There's little doubt this was a very well organized attack, by committed terrorists. The implications to the US are huge, indeed Biden's warning about challenge to Obama is coming forward more quickly than could have been anticipated.

MFM's response...

---------
Well lets see...after carefully reading Kathianne's post....

It's clear she was suggesting that grapes will start growing on apple trees after January 20, 2009 ...you idiot....
----------------------
how the fuck can you suggest she's implying anything about "what would happen if McCain had been elected" ?
You're becoming more of a clown with each passing day....

Mr. P
11-28-2008, 04:40 PM
That was not my question or my implication at all. reread my post and try again.

Sure as hell was..One read is enough to know that.

Now lets see just what Bambam has to say about it..

5stringJeff
11-29-2008, 08:54 AM
I am not trying to bait in any way. I note that you seem to think that this is a challenge to Obama and that it is coming forward more quickly than could have been anticipated. I only wanted to know whether you think that a McCain victory would have stopped such a challenge?

IMO, given the Hindu/Muslim strife that has been ongoing in India for centuries, and given the complexities of the operation, I don't see this as "aimed" at Obama or the US. It's aimed squarely at India, its financial headquarters, and its government.

namvet
11-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Massacre in Mumbai: Up to SEVEN gunmen were British and 'came from same area as 7/7 bombers'

British-born Pakistanis were among the Mumbai terrorists, Indian government sources claimed today, as the death toll rose to at least 155.

As many as seven of the terrorists may have British connections and some could be from Leeds and Bradford where London's July 7 bombers lived, one source said.
Two Britons were among eight gunmen being held, according to Mumbai's chief minister Vilasrao Deshmukh. At least nine others are reportedly dead.

story (story)

this morning on TV news the Pakistani foreign minister warned India about placing blame.

emmett
11-29-2008, 12:44 PM
IMO, given the Hindu/Muslim strife that has been ongoing in India for centuries, and given the complexities of the operation, I don't see this as "aimed" at Obama or the US. It's aimed squarely at India, its financial headquarters, and its government.

Yeah but Jeff, the terrorists were singling out Americans / Brits.

Kathianne
11-29-2008, 12:50 PM

and Jews, of which there are all of 15,000 in a country of over a billion. Some coincidence.

manu1959
11-29-2008, 01:11 PM

yes that explains why they were hunting for jews, brits and americans......

Yurt
11-29-2008, 03:14 PM
There's little doubt this was a very well organized attack, by committed terrorists. The implications to the US are huge, indeed Biden's warning about challenge to Obama is coming forward more quickly than could have been anticipated. Links at site:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=OGY1OTBmMTNmYWYyYTRlZWU2Nzc2YzBlNDlhMzhiY2Q=

you have to admit, that was probably the strangest utterance in an election ever.

its like biden was trying to make sure he did not get elected because if obama gets elected, we are in for a world of hurt. and this attack could just be the first.

retiredman
11-29-2008, 03:17 PM

I would agree. To somehow attribute this action as a response to the election of Obama is ridiculous.

Yurt
11-29-2008, 03:28 PM

hopefully biden's warning is just stupid talk and not reality, else we are screwed and this attack might just be taste of what is to come as they know, per biden, that obama shall be tested

Kathianne
11-29-2008, 03:55 PM
hopefully biden's warning is just stupid talk and not reality, else we are screwed and this attack might just be taste of what is to come as they know, per biden, that obama shall be tested

Indeed this was the version law enforcement has dreaded since 9/11. Multiple simultaneous attacks at high density sites. Their fears have been on schools, houses of worship, malls, museums, theaters, anywhere there could be lots of folks with no idea of danger. No police department, perhaps outside of NYC, could handle this many sites, especially with one as large as the Taj, where it appears caches of weapons were awaiting the terrorists.

namvet
11-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Indeed this was the version law enforcement has dreaded since 9/11. Multiple simultaneous attacks at high density sites. Their fears have been on schools, houses of worship, malls, museums, theaters, anywhere there could be lots of folks with no idea of danger. No police department, perhaps outside of NYC, could handle this many sites, especially with one as large as the Taj, where it appears caches of weapons were awaiting the terrorists.

soft targets. that's what they'll hit

5stringJeff
11-30-2008, 06:11 PM

and Jews, of which there are all of 15,000 in a country of over a billion. Some coincidence.

Yeah, I noticed that after reading more about it yesterday. My bad. Still, given the complexity of the operation, I doubt this was thrown together over the last couple of weeks.

hjmick
12-01-2008, 12:04 PM
This is further evidence that when the law abiding are completely unarmed, the lawless will always have the upper hand. If anything, they are emboldened because they know they will face no resistance. The strict gun laws in India make it damn near impossible to own one even for private security, like the ones that work in hotels. Now, I'm not saying that armed security guards could have stopped these animals, but they could have perhaps saved a few lives and, if nothing else, they could have thrown a monkey wrench in the gears. At least in the beginning.

namvet
12-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Mumbai Terrorist's Confession

The confession of Azam Amir Kasav, the only terrorist captured alive in Mumbai, has apparently been leaked to the press. The Malaysian Insider has a detailed report on the story told by Azam, and it’s chilling: Terrorists posed as Malaysian students.

Note that Azam claims the terror team was trained by the Pakistani group Lashkar-e-Taiba, the militant Islamists closely linked to Pakistan’s ISI intelligence service. Their goal, he says, was to create a “September 11 in India.”

source (source)

Pakistan’s ISI intelligence service.
sounds like state sponsored to me................

red states rule
12-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Now the liberal media ia saking why Obama's election win has not ended terrorism? :laugh2:

MSNBC Anchor Frets: Why Hasn’t Obama’s Election Ended Terrorism?
By Rich Noyes (Bio | Archive)
December 1, 2008 - 10:53 ET

File this one under “Deluded Expectations.” During MSNBC’s coverage of the terrorist attacks in Mumbai, India, on Thursday, daytime anchor Alex Witt seemed frustrated that the election of Barack Obama 23 days earlier — and the accompanying “global outpouring of affection, respect, hope” — had not caused an end to terrorist violence.

Talking with correspondent John Yang, who was covering the Obama side of the story, Witt conceded that while “you certainly can’t expect things to change on a dime overnight....There had been such a global outpouring of affection, respect, hope, with the new administration coming in, that precisely these kinds of attacks, it was thought — at least hoped — would be dampered down. But in this case it looks like Barack Obama is getting a preview of things to come

It almost seems like a parody of liberals’ blind worship of Obama to actually expect that The One’s election would mean terrorists hanging up their bomb belts, peace around the world, lions lying down with lambs, and so forth. For his part, Yang delicately pointed out the more valid concern that “the enemies of the United States, those who don’t care for the United States no matter who’s leading it, would try and test the United States” during the transition from Bush to Obama.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/rich-noyes/2008/12/01/msnbc-anchor-frets-why-hasn-t-obama-s-election-ended-terrorism

hjmick
12-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Mumbai Terrorist's Confession

source (source)

sounds like state sponsored to me................

And they both have nukes...

namvet
12-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Now the liberal media ia saking why Obama's election win has not ended terrorism? :laugh2:

MSNBC Anchor Frets: Why Hasn’t Obama’s Election Ended Terrorism?
By Rich Noyes (Bio | Archive)
December 1, 2008 - 10:53 ET

File this one under “Deluded Expectations.” During MSNBC’s coverage of the terrorist attacks in Mumbai, India, on Thursday, daytime anchor Alex Witt seemed frustrated that the election of Barack Obama 23 days earlier — and the accompanying “global outpouring of affection, respect, hope” — had not caused an end to terrorist violence.

Talking with correspondent John Yang, who was covering the Obama side of the story, Witt conceded that while “you certainly can’t expect things to change on a dime overnight....There had been such a global outpouring of affection, respect, hope, with the new administration coming in, that precisely these kinds of attacks, it was thought — at least hoped — would be dampered down. But in this case it looks like Barack Obama is getting a preview of things to come

It almost seems like a parody of liberals’ blind worship of Obama to actually expect that The One’s election would mean terrorists hanging up their bomb belts, peace around the world, lions lying down with lambs, and so forth. For his part, Yang delicately pointed out the more valid concern that “the enemies of the United States, those who don’t care for the United States no matter who’s leading it, would try and test the United States” during the transition from Bush to Obama.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/rich-noyes/2008/12/01/msnbc-anchor-frets-why-hasn-t-obama-s-election-ended-terrorism

see what happens when you vote for an empty suit ???!!!!

red states rule
12-01-2008, 12:43 PM
see what happens when you vote for an empty suit ???!!!!

It is also comical to see the liberal mind at work. This "news anchor" actually thought the terrorists would lay down their guns and bombs because Obama won the election - and is shocked when they continue to kill innocent people

namvet
12-01-2008, 12:44 PM
And they both have nukes...

the POW claims connections to a Pakistani intel group. but AQ could have masterminded this attack. India 9-11. make it look like Pakistan was behind it all. just saying.

BTY is me or is the board running slow????

namvet
12-01-2008, 12:47 PM
It is also comical to see the liberal mind at work. This "news anchor" actually thought the terrorists would lay down their guns and bombs because Obama won the election - and is shocked when they continue to kill innocent people

he must be forrest gump. stupid is stupid does.................:laugh2:

red states rule
12-01-2008, 12:53 PM
he must be forrest gump. stupid is stupid does.................:laugh2:

Alex Witt is more like a Rosie O'Donnell

http://media.eyeblast.org/newsbusters/static/2008/11/2008-11-27-MSNBCWitt.jpg