PDA

View Full Version : Other Than Foods, Holiday Traditions?

Kathianne
11-27-2008, 10:05 AM
When my children and nieces/nephew were small they'd go caroling Christmas evening, before dinner. They'd come home and put on a 'concert' with singing and instruments, (trust me, while there were a couple good voices, nothing like a mixture of piano, drums, trumpet, cello, and clarinet. :laugh2: Good lord! I almost forgot the electric guitar! :eek:) Only my daughter's voice could rise above the din.

After dinner we'd play "Rummy Royal", even 4 year olds could do it with some help, there was a table mat that showed what cards were needed.

Nowadays, while there have been a few 'jams' with Karaoke and Electric Guitar Game, music hasn't been as much a factor. Rummy Royal has given way to "Catch Phrase", "Cranium", "Pictionary", and such over the past few years. I figure someday soon, there will be grand children to return to simpler times.

Anyone else have 'family traditions' that are only done between Thanksgiving and Christmas?

crin63
11-27-2008, 10:33 AM
We've been getting together with some friends from church for about 10 years now for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Aside from me snoozing on the couch while the women are chatting and cackling (since I'm usually the only guy) we play games between dinner and dessert.

Today were all going over to another friends house who we have never spent Thanksgiving with and hopefully that will turn into another tradition. It sounds like there will be about 16 people there and another guy for me to hang out with. I won't have to pick on the women until I get bored and fall asleep. :D

Its funny because everyone knows that they have to invite both families if they are going to invite one. Were a packaged set for Thanksgiving and Christmas.