PDA

View Full Version : Are We All In For A New New Deal?

Kathianne
11-28-2008, 01:21 PM
LOL! Good column here, though I doubt that those who should read it will, at least with an open mind:

http://article.nationalreview.com/print/?q=NDk0ZjAzYjI1NDQwMTU1NzRmZmU3NWRhMDYwNzAxODA=

That New New Deal
Not for repeating.

By Mona Charen

‘This is the best deal since 1932.” So said House Financial Services Committee Chairman Barney Frank (D., Mass.) regarding the increased public appetite for government intervention in the economy. Incoming White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emmanuel echoed the sentiment when he told the Wall Street Journal, “You never want a serious crisis to go to waste.”

The conventional wisdom has had a rough time of it lately among scholars. You know the fairy tale. You were probably taught it in school. During the 1920s, America practiced laissez-faire economics. The 1920s were seen, as historian Amity Shlaes put it, as a period of “false growth and low morals.” Greedy businessmen got out of control and created a market crash in 1929. President Hoover, obedient to Republican ideas concerning noninterference in the market, did nothing. The economy spiraled into a depression. Roosevelt was elected in 1932, banished fear, inaugurated the New Deal, and put America back to work.

A series of recent books has demolished the myth. Some of Roosevelt’s reforms were salutary (the Securities and Exchange Commission, reform of the Federal Reserve) but the New Deal’s chief object was never achieved — it did not solve the nation’s unemployment problem. The CATO Institute’s Jim Powell points out in “FDR’s Folly,” “From 1934 to 1940, the median annual unemployment rate was 17.2. At no point during the 1930s did unemployment go below 14 percent. ... Living standards remained depressed until after the war.” Stanford University history professor David Kennedy has acknowledged, “Whatever it was, the New Deal was not a recovery program, or at any rate not an effective one.”

It is only recently that the New Deal myth has really taken hold. At the time there was less pretense. In New Deal or Raw Deal? Burton Folsom of Hillsdale College quotes Treasury Secretary Henry Morgenthau. Testifying before the House Ways & Means Committee in May of 1939, the FDR ally and acolyte did not sugarcoat it:

“We are spending more money than we have ever spent before and it does not work. … I want to see this country prosperous. I want to see people get a job. I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises … I say after eight years of this Administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started … and an enormous debt to boot.”

On balance, the New Deal damaged the nation profoundly by extending and deepening the Great Depression. No other downturn in American history lasted so long or afflicted so many.

So no repeats, thank you very much.

Joe Steel
11-28-2008, 06:07 PM
LOL! Good column here, though I doubt that those who should read it will, at least with an open mind:

http://article.nationalreview.com/print/?q=NDk0ZjAzYjI1NDQwMTU1NzRmZmU3NWRhMDYwNzAxODA=

Utter nonsense. No one should read it. It's a waste of time.

11-28-2008, 06:33 PM

Your posts being utter nonsense hasnt stopped us from reading them. Why should this be any different?

Binky
11-28-2008, 06:45 PM

At the risk of sounding like a dome sayer, it seems as tho' history is repeating itself. We are aimed for a headon crash with our destiny. The signs have been there for many, many years but everyone has chosen to ignore them. Just like something that goes up must eventually come down, you can't keep spending and spending and spending and not have a crash in the end. America has made greed and money its god. Throw in very loose morals or none at all, and what you get is what we have today.

Kathianne
11-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Your posts being utter nonsense hasnt stopped us from reading them. Why should this be any different?

Well because mine are a lot better than JS's. ;)

Yurt
11-28-2008, 08:01 PM

IOW you have no point....got it