PDA

View Full Version : SR-71 Blackbird

Sitarro
11-30-2008, 02:50 AM
From an e-mail I received today. Interesting slide show with captions at the link.................

In 1968 (1967?) a SR-71 made an emergency landing at Grand Force AFB and was "parked" between two B-52 hangers close to the N/S road that paralled the base runway. The aircraft was completely visible to anyone using the road. Immediately after landing, GFAFB security established machine gun "nests" close to the plane. The two man crew could not exit the plane until a C-130 arrived from Edwards AFB with the ground support equipment and aircraft technicians to evacuate the crew and "fix" whatever the problem(s) were. Of course, everyone on the base came to see the 71 and security had to control traffic. After the "fixes" were accomplished (two days?), the 71 exited the base heading north. A few minutes later it returned at a very low altitude at tremendous speed in a fly by. It was awesome and was probably witnessed by about everyone on the base.

Eye candy for people who like airplanes.

Grab your beverage and relax for a few minutes of awesome beauty. The SR-71 was the creation of Kelly Johnson, Lockheed, Eisenhower and the Air Force. It was envisioned in the '50s, first flew in the early '60s, retired in the '80s, briefly brought back in the '90s.

In all, 13 units of the single seat A-12 were built, and 32 of the Pilot + Recon two seat SR-71 units were built. Five A-12 were lost, one is stored. Twelve two seaters were lost. The remaining 27 are on display around the USA . The closest is at Atwater , the old Castle AFB museum at Merced with 50 other classic warplanes. You probably have a better opportunity of viewing the one in San Diego . Ask me and I'll tell you where the others are. NY, OR, OH, DC, etc. I can find most answers to most questions. Just ask. Start with the 2000+ mph, the 80,000 feet + altitude. More if you wish.

So enjoy. One more thing. The author of the captions to the picture in this video made one misstatement, due to youth. The U-2 Recon aircraft was created in 1955, flew operationally in 1956. Kelly thought the USSR would shoot it down in 18 months. Lucky us, it flew until Gary Powers was downed on 1 May 1960.

But Kelly Johnson already had the go-ahead from Ike for the A-12. It first flew in 1962, JFK kept the manufacture of it active. No one told LBJ, 'cause everyone knew he would spill the secret. He wasn't told til the week after JFK left us. And sure enough, LBJ gave out the secret in a matter of months.

Anyhow, the most interesting, most exciting five years of my life were spent in the program, as a KC-135 refueling pilot. Where the Blackbird went, we went. You will see several refuelings in the following.

Enjoy.

http://www.greatdanepromilitary.com/SR-71/index.htm

April15
11-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Now that is a plane worth flying. It flys so fast that the friction of the air expands the body to air tight and stops the fuel leaks. The men who made that plane had vision.

Sitarro
11-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Now that is a plane worth flying. It flys so fast that the friction of the air expands the body to air tight and stops the fuel leaks. The men who made that plane had vision.

Global warming, if it ever existed, is over...... it's snowing in hell!!!!
You have written something I agree with.:laugh2:

April15
11-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Global warming, if it ever existed, is over...... it's snowing in hell!!!!
You have written something I agree with.:laugh2: Even though I don't fly I love the engineering that creates those wonderful birds. Northrup and his flying wing and the stealth bomber of today.

Sitarro
11-30-2008, 06:57 PM
I'm surprised Algore didn't mention it in his comedy film. It drank ridiculously large amounts of fuel and placed it's giant carbon footprint all the way up near the edge of space, 43 thousand feet above where airliners fly. That footprint criss-crossed the entire earth!!!!!! Could that be what caused the hole in the ozone???????

Sitarro
11-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Even though I don't fly I love the engineering that creates those wonderful birds. Northrup and his flying wing and the stealth bomber of today.

I have touched an SR-71 on the parade grounds at Lackland Air Force Base. I was amazed at how rough the skin was. The gaps in the skin that close in flight were very noticeable. Big plane too, the engines are enormous and I'm sure, very loud.

April15
11-30-2008, 08:29 PM
I have touched an SR-71 on the parade grounds at Lackland Air Force Base. I was amazed at how rough the skin was. The gaps in the skin that close in flight were very noticeable. Big plane too, the engines are enormous and I'm sure, very loud.I bet them fuckers make one hell of a racket! And the thrust at takeoff must be enormous. 5, 6 g's?

Mr. P
11-30-2008, 11:15 PM
One hell of an aircraft!!! Now I'll promise that its replacement is even better, and still secret. :salute:

Yurt
11-30-2008, 11:37 PM
some more info and pics

http://www.howstuffworks.com/lockheed-sr-71-blackbird.htm

namvet
12-01-2008, 04:07 PM
the 71 was the brain child of engineer Kelly Johnson. built in secret at the skunk works. able to to sustained at least mach 3. that was its defense. its speed. the pilots borrowed NASA space suits because of the high altitude. around 80,000 ft. I got to see one. what a bird. but the spy satellite did it in. the 71 had to fly to long range to base's to offload camera/photo's. to much time getting those to DC. I remember its last flight. we heard the sonic boom that morning. although the Russian's attempted many times to shoot it down their engines failed because of the speed. it had self sealing fuel tanks. it leaked fuel on the ground but the heat from high altitude sealed em up. on the ground, after a flight it was to hot to touch.

skunk works (skunk works)

history link (link)

Psychoblues
12-03-2008, 02:41 AM
The story is jingoistic bullshit written only for those who obviously know little about the SR-71 and it's capabilities. Any Blackbird pilot that did a low level base flyover shortly after takeoff would no longer be a pilot or an officer once he landed that plane again.

Psychoblues

AFbombloader
12-03-2008, 09:28 AM
From an e-mail I received today. Interesting slide show with captions at the link.................

In 1968 (1967?) a SR-71 made an emergency landing at Grand Force AFB and was "parked" between two B-52 hangers close to the N/S road that paralled the base runway. The aircraft was completely visible to anyone using the road. Immediately after landing, GFAFB security established machine gun "nests" close to the plane. The two man crew could not exit the plane until a C-130 arrived from Edwards AFB with the ground support equipment and aircraft technicians to evacuate the crew and "fix" whatever the problem(s) were. Of course, everyone on the base came to see the 71 and security had to control traffic. After the "fixes" were accomplished (two days?), the 71 exited the base heading north. A few minutes later it returned at a very low altitude at tremendous speed in a fly by. It was awesome and was probably witnessed by about everyone on the base.

Eye candy for people who like airplanes.

Grab your beverage and relax for a few minutes of awesome beauty. The SR-71 was the creation of Kelly Johnson, Lockheed, Eisenhower and the Air Force. It was envisioned in the '50s, first flew in the early '60s, retired in the '80s, briefly brought back in the '90s.

In all, 13 units of the single seat A-12 were built, and 32 of the Pilot + Recon two seat SR-71 units were built. Five A-12 were lost, one is stored. Twelve two seaters were lost. The remaining 27 are on display around the USA . The closest is at Atwater , the old Castle AFB museum at Merced with 50 other classic warplanes. You probably have a better opportunity of viewing the one in San Diego . Ask me and I'll tell you where the others are. NY, OR, OH, DC, etc. I can find most answers to most questions. Just ask. Start with the 2000+ mph, the 80,000 feet + altitude. More if you wish.

So enjoy. One more thing. The author of the captions to the picture in this video made one misstatement, due to youth. The U-2 Recon aircraft was created in 1955, flew operationally in 1956. Kelly thought the USSR would shoot it down in 18 months. Lucky us, it flew until Gary Powers was downed on 1 May 1960.

But Kelly Johnson already had the go-ahead from Ike for the A-12. It first flew in 1962, JFK kept the manufacture of it active. No one told LBJ, 'cause everyone knew he would spill the secret. He wasn't told til the week after JFK left us. And sure enough, LBJ gave out the secret in a matter of months.

Anyhow, the most interesting, most exciting five years of my life were spent in the program, as a KC-135 refueling pilot. Where the Blackbird went, we went. You will see several refuelings in the following.

Enjoy.

http://www.greatdanepromilitary.com/SR-71/index.htm

Did you mean Grand Forks AFB?

The Blackbird was and is an awesome piece of machinery. It is a beautiful plane. Speaking of the engines, they used a "start cart" to get them going. They had Chevy 454's in them.

http://www.wvi.com/~sr71webmaster/ag330_sr.htm

namvet
12-03-2008, 09:46 AM
The story is jingoistic bullshit written only for those who obviously know little about the SR-71 and it's capabilities. Any Blackbird pilot that did a low level base flyover shortly after takeoff would no longer be a pilot or an officer once he landed that plane again.

Psychoblues

this coming from a retarded Kamikaze pilot wooot!!!!!!!! hahaha as usual the jokes on you. because you are one. BANZI !!!!! :beer::salute::laugh2::beer:

namvet
12-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Psychoblues in his A6M/71 black bird. BANZI PSCYO !!!!! HAHAHAHA

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fc/Chiran_high_school_girls_wave_kamikaze_pilot.jpg

:beer::salute::salute::beer: