PDA

View Full Version : A Bit of Inspiration From The Troops Via Gates

Kathianne
11-30-2008, 01:04 PM
I saw the sign he's referring to in the second example, very cool:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZjM0ZWUwZTdmYTNjMmJkZDA5OGE3NmJiZTg4NjgyM2E=

Secretary Gates and the Wounded Navy SEAL [Michael Ledeen]
This is an update on two previous posts: the one in which I said that Bob Gates had been inspired by our military men and women, and the other in which I posted a sign that a wounded Navy SEAL had put on his door.

This is from a speech that Secretary Gates delivered in October, in which he refers to that Navy SEAL, one of many wounded warrior that "lifted you up." That's a concept that is hard to accept for those who haven't actually visited Walter Reed or Bethesda Naval Hospital, but Gates is entirely right.

To our wounded warriors: I have been amazed by your grit and resilience. To be honest, when I first learned that part of my duties as Secretary of Defense was to visit the wounded at Walter Reed and other hospitals, I wasn't sure I could handle it – or what I would say. Seeing firsthand the incredible sacrifice our men and women in uniform had made, I wasn't sure I could keep it together. But people kept telling me, "You don't understand, they'll lift you up."

And they did. And they do whenever I visit there and other facilities. Like the wounded officer Lt. Dan Moran at Brooke Army Burn Center who reminded me that I handed him his diploma at Texas A&M in August of 2002. He also told me he had the doctors play the "Aggie War Hymn" during his surgery. Former President Bush and I presented him with a medal for valor at half-time at a Texas A&M home football game in front of 85,000 wildly cheering admirers – the kind of public acclaim all our wounded warriors deserve.

Or Lieutenant Jason Redman. He is a SEAL – part of the Navy's elite Special Ops team – who took rounds from a machine-gun in his face and arm in Iraq last year. Jason posted a bright orange sign on the door of his hospital room at Bethesda National Naval Medical Center. It read: "Attention to all who enter here. If you are coming into this room with sorrow or to feel sorry for my wounds, go elsewhere. The wounds I received I got in a job I love, doing it for people I love, supporting the freedom of a country I deeply love. I am incredibly tough and will make a full recovery. What is full? That is the absolute utmost physically my body has the ability to recover. Then I will push that about 20 percent further through sheer mental tenacity. This room you are about to enter is a room of fun, optimism, and intense rapid regrowth. If you are not prepared for that, go elsewhere."

Joe Steel
11-30-2008, 02:29 PM
I saw the sign he's referring to in the second example, very cool:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZjM0ZWUwZTdmYTNjMmJkZDA5OGE3NmJiZTg4NjgyM2E=

In a few years, Bush will be comfortably retired, playing golf and fishing everyday or as often as he likes. Lieutenant Jason Redman still will be shot-up and trying to deal with the effects of his injuries. Everyday will be an ordeal of frustration and humiliation has he asks others to do for him what he no longer can do for himself.

Do you think he'll put-up a sign about that?

Mr. P
11-30-2008, 02:45 PM
In a few years, Bush will be comfortably retired, playing golf and fishing everyday or as often as he likes. Lieutenant Jason Redman still will be shot-up and trying to deal with the effects of his injuries. Everyday will be an ordeal of frustration and humiliation has he asks others to do for him what he no longer can do for himself.

I believe he already addressed you.

The wounds I received I got in a job I love, doing it for people I love, supporting the freedom of a country I deeply love. I am incredibly tough and will make a full recovery. What is full? That is the absolute utmost physically my body has the ability to recover. Then I will push that about 20 percent further through sheer mental tenacity. This room you are about to enter is a room of fun, optimism, and intense rapid regrowth. If you are not prepared for that, go elsewhere."

Kathianne
11-30-2008, 02:47 PM
:clap::clap: Someone that can read and understand.

Joe Steel
11-30-2008, 02:59 PM

"This room you are about to enter is a room of fun, optimism, and intense rapid regrowth. If you are not prepared for that, go elsewhere."

Sure. That's the way he feels now while friends and family are visiting and wishing him well and while the nurses and therapists are paying attention. But in a few years, when he's struggling to do the things a six-year-old does without thinking, will he be as optimistic? Will he be having has much fun then?

Kathianne
11-30-2008, 03:03 PM
My guess, yes. In all honesty, it's something you may never understand, being a giver rather than taker; being empowered, not a victim:

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=26907

http://inchesawayfromsanity.blogspot.com/2007/10/send-cheer-card-to-navy-seal-in.html

Some are men, some are not.

Sitarro
11-30-2008, 03:07 PM

You never fail to get everything wrong, what is life like for a child like you? Always falling off skateboards, crashing bicycles, screwing up computers........ I hope to never be on the same highway as you once you are old enough to drive.:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

11-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Sure. That's the way he feels now while friends and family are visiting and wishing him well and while the nurses and therapists are paying attention. But in a few years, when he's struggling to do the things a six-year-old does without thinking, will he be as optimistic? Will he be having has much fun then?

Courage is something you dont understand Joe. Hope is something you could understand but chose not to. You will continually talk down the human spirit and it's ability to overcome adversity. But you will not understand it until you face reality.

Joe Steel
11-30-2008, 03:31 PM
My guess, yes. In all honesty, it's something you may never understand, being a giver rather than taker; being empowered, not a victim...

I'm curious. Where do you get that stuff?

Mr. P
11-30-2008, 03:37 PM

:trolls: That's as much as your post deserves from anyone.

Kathianne
11-30-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm curious. Where do you get that stuff?

Your posts lead to said conclusion.

Joe Steel
11-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Courage is something you dont understand Joe. Hope is something you could understand but chose not to. You will continually talk down the human spirit and it's ability to overcome adversity. But you will not understand it until you face reality.

I'm curious. How do you know what I understand or could understand?

Joe Steel
11-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Your posts lead to said conclusion.

Based on your uninformed guesses?

Kathianne
11-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Based on your uninformed guesses?

On the contrary, I make informed guesses. You on the other hand just make proclamations.

11-30-2008, 03:59 PM
I'm curious. How do you know what I understand or could understand?

It's not really that difficult Joe. You spell it out in everything you say.

I aways have to laugh at you people who think we have no idea who you are. Your words define you. They tell us who your personality is. They tell us your outlook on life. They paint a complete story of who you are.

Seriously, It's not that difficult to see.

Joe Steel
12-01-2008, 06:58 AM
On the contrary, I make informed guesses. You on the other hand just make proclamations.

As far as I can tell, you never make reference to anything but rightwing articles. I'd say you guess were poorly informed, at best.

Kathianne
12-01-2008, 07:00 AM
As far as I can tell, you never make reference to anything but rightwing articles. I'd say you guess were poorly informed, at best.

Gee, and your opinion means so much to me. :beer:

Joe Steel
12-01-2008, 07:17 AM
It's not really that difficult Joe. You spell it out in everything you say.

I aways have to laugh at you people who think we have no idea who you are. Your words define you. They tell us who your personality is. They tell us your outlook on life. They paint a complete story of who you are.

Seriously, It's not that difficult to see.

You have no real knowledge, merely a few observations and a set of poor standards for evaluating them.

12-01-2008, 10:28 AM
You have no real knowledge, merely a few observations and a set of poor standards for evaluating them.

Only a fool thinks that what he speaks doesnt tell volumes about his soul.

Abbey Marie
12-01-2008, 05:15 PM

What did you parents do to make you such a foolish and childish man? I'd like to know so I don't make the same mistake with my child.

You are exactly the type of person Lt. Redman does not want in his hospital room.

red states rule
12-01-2008, 05:19 PM
You are exactly the type of person Lt. Redman does not want in his hospital room.

Unless Lt Redman needs his bedpan emptied

Abbey Marie
12-01-2008, 05:19 PM

So, Joe, if your own words do not tell us what you are, what are they? Lies?

Kathianne
12-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Unless Lt Redman needs his bedpan emptied

Even then, he'd figure a way to do it himself.

red states rule
12-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Even then, he'd figure a way to do it himself.

True, but that would be the only reason Joe would be in Lt Redman's room. Even thne it would take all of Joe's skills to get the job done