PDA

View Full Version : Lawyers call for international court for the environment

stephanie
11-30-2008, 01:06 PM
A former chairman of the Bar Council is calling for an international court for the environment to punish states that fail to protect wildlife and prevent climate change.

By Louise Gray, Environment Correspondent
Last Updated: 1:29PM GMT 28 Nov 2008

Stephen Hockman QC is proposing a body similar to the International Court of Justice in The Hague to be the supreme legal authority on issues regarding the environment.

The first role of the new body would be to enforce international agreements on cutting greenhouse gas emissions set to be agreed next year.

But the court would also fine countries or companies that fail to protect endangered species or degrade the natural environment and enforce the "right to a healthy environment".

The innovative idea is being presented to an audience of politicians, scientists and public figures for the first time at a symposium at the British Library.

Mr Hockman, a deputy High Court judge, said that the threat of climate change means it is more important than ever for the law to protect the environment.

The UN Climate Change Conference in Poznan, Poland this month is set to begin negotiations that will lead to a new agreement to replace the Kyoto Protocol in Copenhagen next year. Developed countries are expected to commit to cutting emissions drastically, while developing countries agree to halt deforestation.

Gordon Brown, the Prime Minister, has agreed the concept of an international court will be taken into account when considering how to make these international agreements on climate change binding. The court is also backed by a number of MPs, climate change experts and public figures including the actress Judi Dench.

Mr Hockman said an international court will be needed to enforce and regulate any agreement.

read the rest..
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/climatechange/3530607/Lawyers-call-for-international-court-for-the-environment.html

11-30-2008, 04:01 PM
As a lawyer, I hereby make my call against an international court for the environment.

moon
12-05-2008, 12:00 PM
I advocate serious custodial sentences for significant environmental damages that can be traced to the responsibility of individuals or groups of individuals. In the worst cases of deliberate damage, capital punishment should be considered.

stephanie
12-05-2008, 12:06 PM
:lol:

:cuckoo::tinfoil::uhoh:

Mr. P
12-05-2008, 12:09 PM
I advocate serious custodial sentences for significant environmental damages that can be traced to the responsibility of individuals or groups of individuals. In the worst cases of deliberate damage, capital punishment should be considered.

What do you consider "significant environmental damages"?

moon
12-05-2008, 12:13 PM
That's for the proposed International Court for the Environment to decide.

darin
12-05-2008, 12:17 PM
You can't define the crime, but you can define the punishment of the crime?:cuckoo::cuckoo:

Mr. P
12-05-2008, 12:21 PM
That's for the proposed International Court for the Environment to decide.

You can't define the crime, but you can define the punishment of the crime?:cuckoo::cuckoo:

What he said.

moon
12-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Lawyers define the specifics. Others provide the evidence upon which the specifics are concluded. The Nigerian coastal population would define the defilement of their environment as 'significant environmental damage'. A Nigerian politician on BP's payroll might not. Asking me what I think is significant, without even proposing an example for consideration, seems a trifle fatuous.
Add your emoticon of choice.

Mr. P
12-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Lawyers define the specifics. Others provide the evidence upon which the specifics are concluded. The Nigerian coastal population would define the defilement of their environment as 'significant environmental damage'. A Nigerian politician on BP's payroll might not. Asking me what I think is significant, without even proposing an example for consideration, seems a trifle fatuous.

You said, "significant environmental damages" what in your opinion does that mean?

moon
12-05-2008, 12:47 PM
I refer you to post #9.

No1tovote4
12-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Shouldn't the title read, "Lawyers, Looking To Make Millions On The Gullible, Demand New Court..."...?

Mr. P
12-05-2008, 01:04 PM
I refer you to post #9.

Non answer but yet you think this "undefined" crime should be dealt with by capital punishment.

You gotta do much better than that..You made a statement..just tell us what you think. Seems you think someone else should decide but you'll support a death penalty based on what they say, not on what you think is appropriate..pretty lame pal. Ya gotta think for yerself sometimes. It's clear you'll accept someone else's opinion right or wrong. Less hassle ain't it?

moon
12-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Ya gotta think for yerself sometimes.

Rather a facile comment, wouldn't you agree ? The hypothesis you're discussing is mine.

darin
12-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Hi! I'm moon. I can't figure out what constitutes the crime, but I call for THE DEATH PENALTY if that undefined crime is broken!!

moon
12-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Hi! I'm moon. I can't figure out what constitutes the crime, but I call for THE DEATH PENALTY if that undefined crime is broken!!

In reality, where a high proportion of people live, my words bear little resemblance to those of the person in the moon costume. I'll take this opportunity to repeat the originals;

moon;

Mr. P
12-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Rather a facile comment, wouldn't you agree ? The hypothesis you're discussing is mine.

Nope..still waiting on what you think is "significant environmental damages".

moon
12-05-2008, 02:45 PM
Let's suppose that I've no intention of second-guessing any proposed International Environmental Court and that the floor is all yours.

Mr. P
12-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Let's suppose that I've no intention of second-guessing any proposed International Environmental Court and that the floor is all yours.

Then we can suppose you ain't gotta case for yer capital punishment position.

moon
12-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Sure I do. I'd support capital punishment for deliberate and significant environmental damages as defined by the proposed International Environmental Court. Haven't you been following ?

stephanie
12-05-2008, 05:01 PM
scratch a liberal lefty environmentalist...find a fascist..

12-05-2008, 05:04 PM

What hell qualifies as a "defilement" of the environment?

If I piss on a tree am I defiling the environment?

Mr. P
12-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Sure I do. I'd support capital punishment for deliberate and significant environmental damages as defined by the proposed International Environmental Court. Haven't you been following ?

Just one more time..what are "deliberate and significant environmental damages"? Give me a link, your opinion, anything, that you think justifies capital punishment for environmental issues. Geeezzzzz

12-05-2008, 05:09 PM

You want to put to death anyone the International Environmental Court determines has caused "Significant environmental damage" when no one knows what that means?

I reemphasize my objective to the international environmental court. Especially if we are now giving them criminal jurisdiction.

12-05-2008, 05:10 PM
In reality, where a high proportion of people live, my words bear little resemblance to those of the person in the moon costume. I'll take this opportunity to repeat the originals;

moon;

This doesnt even make sense.

Mr. P
12-05-2008, 05:12 PM
What hell qualifies as a "defilement" of the environment?

If I piss on a tree am I defiling the environment?

I was going to tell this poster from the beginning if he/she takes a shit everyday or so they, based on the OP, must suffer the death penalty..but..I wanted to play a bit.

Said1
12-05-2008, 07:00 PM
It's a shame countries can't follow their own set standards (well some do). In Bangladesh, the fine for polluting water or making the air noxious, (whatever that means) is something like five hundred taka - or 7 bucks.

moon
12-06-2008, 10:35 AM
A half-decent lawyer could demonstrate that Mugabe has deliberately introduced cholera into the population. The death toll is already in the hundreds. A half-decent International Environmental Court would prosecute.

Still, the International Criminal Court already exists, even if Guantanamo George has 'unsigned' America from it. It will serve for the time being.

12-06-2008, 12:33 PM
A half-decent lawyer could demonstrate that Mugabe has deliberately introduced cholera into the population. The death toll is already in the hundreds. A half-decent International Environmental Court would prosecute.

Still, the International Criminal Court already exists, even if Guantanamo George has 'unsigned' America from it. It will serve for the time being.

How is Cholera an environmental issue when it occurs naturally in the environment?

moon
12-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Anybody that shits in their own drinking water care to answer the question ?

Mr. P
12-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Anybody that shits in their own drinking water care to answer the question ?

Check with India, Vietnam, China.