PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday Sales Increase

red states rule
12-01-2008, 07:32 AM
So much for all the doom and gloom the liberal media was reporting BEFORE Black Friday

Black Friday Sales Increase

According to research firm ShoperTrak, Black Friday sales increase 3% over last year. Still, ShopperTrak says that's the smallest gain for "Black Friday" (the day after Thanksgiving) sales in three years--2007 Black Friday sales were 8.3% higher than in 2006. And the data is also tempered by the fact that many retailers offered deeply discounted items, which cuts into their profitability. On the online sales side, Amazon and eBay say their sales jumped on Friday--Amazon says topsellers include the iPod Touch, Canon Powershot camera, and Nintendo Wii console whereas the Nintendo Wii was the most searched-for item on eBay--but both are forecasting weaker holiday sales. Additionally, with Thanksgiving falling late this year, there are five fewer shopping days this holiday season than last year.

http://gothamist.com/2008/11/30/black_friday_sales_increase.php

and

Nov. 29 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. holiday retail sales increased 3 percent yesterday from a year earlier, the smallest gain for a “Black Friday” in three years, research firm ShopperTrak RCT Corp. said.

Sales rose to $10.6 billion, the Chicago-based company said in a statement. The increase was the smallest since a decline of 0.9 percent in 2005 and compares with a jump of 8.3 percent last year.

“So far, so good,” said Craig Johnson, president of Customer Growth Partners LLC, a retail consulting firm based in New Canaan, Connecticut. “But a decent Black Friday figure doesn’t predict the whole season. The question is, how much momentum we can keep” in this “challenging” economic environment, Johnson said.

U.S. retailers are making earlier and deeper price cuts to lure Christmas shoppers, who are coping with the shrinking values of homes and stock holdings along with increasing joblessness. The season can account for as much as a third of annual profit.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aBvgyrY3aNPg&refer=home

Little-Acorn
12-01-2008, 12:41 PM
I helped! I helped! Me Me Me!!! (Waving hand in the air, then pointing happily to new laptop running 64-bit Vista, bought after getting in line at Office Depot at 2:30 AM Friday)

I love new toys. Especially after months of programming on a Pent III laptop whose + and = keys didn't work, DEL key didn't work, and sometimes the E key.

So far Vista has been easy and flawless. What, exactly, are all the problems I keep hearing about with Vista?

red states rule
12-01-2008, 12:46 PM
I helped! I helped! Me Me Me!!! (Waving hand in the air, then pointing happily to new laptop running 64-bit Vista)

I love new toys. Especially after months of programming on a laptop whose + and = keys didn't work, DEL key didn't work, and sometimes the E key.

and today is known as "Cyber Monday" when online buying is at high levels. Many sites are offering special deals today to get those sales

http://blogs.wsj.com/independentstreet/2008/12/01/welcome-to-cyber-monday-how-small-online-retailers-can-compete/