PDA

View Full Version : Rosie O’Donnell's Variety Show Flops

red states rule
12-01-2008, 07:36 AM
Did you know Rosie had a new prime time show on NBC? I did not know it was on last Wed night

It looks like most of the US did not know either :lol:

November 27, 2008
NBC's Rosie O’Donnell variety show disappoints
Rosie O'Donnell gave NBC a real turkey.

The network's attempt to revive the primetime variety show failed to draw an audience Wednesday night, tying for the evening's lowest-rated program.

A mere 5 million viewers tuned in for the 8 p.m. premiere of "Rosie Live," with the program earning a 1.2 preliminary adults 18-49 rating. The telecast matched ABC's recently canceled "Pushing Daisies" as the night's lowest-rated program on a major broadcast network.

NBC had high hopes for the special and planned to expand the program into a series should viewers re-embrace the decades-old variety format. Other networks, too, were watching closely since several are developing variety shows of their own.

"There's a notion that the climate is right for the genre to make a comeback," emailed one executive at a rival network. "I guess we now know what not to do, thanks to Rosie."

Segments included Kathy Griffin impersonating Nancy Grace, Alec Baldwin hitting Conan O'Brian with a pie, O'Donnell singing "City Lights" with Liza Minnelli and Jane Krakowski doing a product-placement-themed striptease for White Castle burgers and Crest Whitestrips.

http://www.thrfeed.com/2008/11/nbcs-rosie-odon.html

stephanie
12-01-2008, 09:16 AM
not only did it flop..I've been reading it was a real stinker.

maybe now Rose will ride off into that sunset that's for all the classless, ugly, washed up so called entertainers..:coffee:

red states rule
12-01-2008, 09:20 AM
not only did it flop..I've been reading it was a real stinker.

maybe now Rose will ride off into that sunset that's for all the classless, ugly, washed up so called entertainers..:coffee:

I'll second that hope! On second thought, I'll third it also

Rosie has officially become the female version of Michael Moore and Amercia is ignoring her

darin
12-01-2008, 09:23 AM
I think America KNEW about the show...we just don't CARE. :)

red states rule
12-01-2008, 09:26 AM

Based on the ratings I would say you are correct

NBC must have needed a tax write off when they gave Rosie a prime time show

LiberalNation
12-01-2008, 10:10 AM
I watched about 5 minutes of it, not very good at all. WOuldn't be something I'd watch but I've never been into those types of shows anyway.

red states rule
12-01-2008, 10:13 AM
I watched about 5 minutes of it, not very good at all. WOuldn't be something I'd watch but I've never been into those types of shows anyway.

Who will Rosie have on this week? (if NBC aires another show)

Keith Olberman, Michael Moore, Cindy Sheehan, Susan Sarandon, Barbara Striesand, Alec Baldwin, or Sean Penn?

Binky
12-01-2008, 10:26 AM
I'll second that hope! On second thought, I'll third it also

Rosie has officially become the female version of Michael Moore and Amercia is ignoring her

Hear, hear! I can't stand that woman, and I use the term loosely. She's a loud mouth, no class, know-it-all, radical, in which she gives women a "bad name." Just because she has money doesn't mean she isn't white trash.

red states rule
12-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Hear, hear! I can't stand that woman, and I use the term loosely. She's a loud mouth, no class, know-it-all, radical, in which she gives women a "bad name." Just because she has money doesn't mean she's still not white trash.

Even the NY Times said her show was a bomb

Television Review | 'Rosie Live'
Hokey Comedy With an Enemy List

Rosie O'Donnell's Wednesday night special on NBC, "Rosie Live," was supposed to be a tribute to the variety shows of the 1970s, but she added a Nixonian twist: Christmas songs, tap-dancing twins and an enemies list.

In between skits, celebrity cameos and hokey novelty acts, the legendarily thin-skinned Ms. O'Donnell found time to take potshots at some of her favorite targets, including Donald Trump, Nancy Grace and Bill O'Reilly. She left out Barbara Walters, with whom Ms. O'Donnell has been feuding ever since Ms. O'Donnell left "The View," perhaps reluctant to draw attention to Ms. Walters's interview with Barack and Michelle Obama on ABC the same night. (Even that Barbara Walters special had a '70s feel, as Ms. Walters reprised her famous interview with Jimmy Carter, asking President-elect Obama if he intended to personally turn off the lights in the White House to conserve energy.)

Ms. O'Donnell's self-referential swats at detractors were light, but they clashed with the context, lending a hard, contemporary edge to what was intended to be a corny, heartfelt homage to variety shows of yesteryear, like "The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour" and "The Carol Burnett Show." So did her bizarre product-placement duet with Jane Krakowski, a star of the NBC comedy "30 Rock," who performed a sultry striptease in front of a giant monitor flashing images of White Castle hamburgers, BlackBerrys and Crest Whitestrips.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/26/arts/television/26rosie-web.html?_r=1&ref=arts

Binky
12-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Who will Rosie have on this week? (if NBC aires another show)

Keith Olberman, Michael Moore, Cindy Sheehan, Susan Sarandon, Barbara Striesand, Alec Baldwin, or Sean Penn?

Yeah......and every one of them is a radical. Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

red states rule
12-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Yeah......and every one of them is a radical. Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

If this was a radio show, the Dems Fairness Doctrine would FORCE the radio stations to keep the show on the air

12-01-2008, 10:30 AM
I knew about it. I made it a point to ignore its existance.

red states rule
12-01-2008, 10:32 AM
I knew about it. I made it a point to ignore its existance.

Now for the excuse that will be used by Rosie - No one watched, and it's President Bush's fault!!

Binky
12-01-2008, 10:41 AM
In the words of Bill O'Reilly, "she's a pinhead."

red states rule
12-01-2008, 10:42 AM
In the words of Bill O'Reilly, "she's a pinhead."

and she bloviates to much :lol:

Binky
12-01-2008, 10:52 AM
and she bloviates to much :lol:

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

red states rule
12-01-2008, 10:55 AM
http://www.billoreilly.com/images/product/clothing/tshirt_pj_gray_large.jpg

crin63
12-01-2008, 11:04 AM

NBC promoted it during Heroes and The Office. I saw part of about 6-8 commercials for it and I changed the channel soon as I saw her face. She disgusts me. Thats the nicest thing I could think of to say about her.

red states rule
12-01-2008, 11:08 AM
NBC promoted it during Heroes and The Office. I saw part of about 6-8 commercials for it and I changed the channel soon as I saw her face. She disgusts me. Thats the nicest thing I could think of to say about her.

As NBC moves further to the left, their ratings tank and they lose money and prestige