Does anybody here know of it?

Mr. P
01-14-2007, 02:01 PM
Does anybody here know of it?

Stir fry sauce?

MtnBiker
01-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Stir fry sauce?

Nope, sauce for fries. It's kind of a regoinal thing. Just wonder if anyone else is familiar with it.

MtnBiker
01-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Fry sauce is a regional condiment served with French fries. It is usually a simple combination of one part ketchup and two parts mayonnaise. When spices and other flavorings are added, it is similar to—but thicker and smoother than—traditional Russian dressing and Thousand Island dressing. Fry sauce is commonly found in Utah, much of Idaho, and rural Oregon but relatively unknown elsewhere. Occasionally other ingredients such as barbecue sauce are substituted for ketchup.

The Utah-based Arctic Circle restaurant chain claims to have invented fry sauce around 1949. Arctic Circle serves it in its restaurants in the western United States. Many other fast-food restaurants and family restaurants in the region, such as Burger King, Carl's Jr, Crown Burgers, Apollo Burger and Hires Big H, offer their own versions of the sauce. The condiment is also commonly found in supermarkets in Utah and Idaho, as well as available by mail-order.

Until 1999, Utah franchise locations of McDonald's also carried fry sauce. The chain stopped stocking the condiment because of the high waste it produced: because of its mayonnaise content, the sauce spoils after a single day if left unrefrigerated. Nevertheless, many other national fast food restaurants in Utah and nearby states serve fry sauce.

Among the most popular souvenir pins during the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City were ones that depicted fry sauce. Originally sold for US$7.50, these pins became valued at over $60 before the Olympic games started.

http://www.answers.com/topic/fry-sauce

Mr. P
01-14-2007, 02:17 PM
Nope, sauce for fries. It's kind of a regoinal thing. Just wonder if anyone else is familiar with it.

I love mayo on fries..I'll give this sauce a try if I can figure out whats in it.

jillian
01-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Sounds yummy.

If anyone is in NYC, in the east village, there's a place called Pommes Frites that only makes fries. They have about 20 different kinds of dipping sauce, including aoli, curry, garlic-mayo, etc. Worth the trip if you're a fries person.

http://www.pommesfrites.ws/

MtnBiker
01-14-2007, 02:24 PM
I love mayo on fries..I'll give this sauce a try if I can figure out whats in it.

The basic recipe is mayo and ketchup, equal parts or more mayo for a thicker sauce. Some spices to try are cumin, corriander or maybe a dash of your favorite hot sauce.

MtnBiker
01-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Sounds yummy.

If anyone is in NYC, in the east village, there's a place called Pommes Frites that only makes fries. They have about 20 different kinds of dipping sauce, including aoli, curry, garlic-mayo, etc. Worth the trip if you're a fries person.http://www.pommesfrites.ws/

I think I saw this on the Food Network, or something like it. They use fresh potatoes not frozen and went through like a 100 pounds of mayo a day. Whoa!

Mr. P
01-14-2007, 02:27 PM
The basic recipe is mayo and ketchup, equal parts or more mayo for a thicker sauce. Some spices to try are cumin, corriander or maybe a dash of your favorite hot sauce.

I was thinking some cayenne maybe.

jillian
01-14-2007, 02:27 PM
I think I saw this on the Food Network, or something like it. They use fresh potatoes not frozen and went through like a 100 pounds of mayo a day. Whoa!

Yup... that's the place. I've seen it on the Food Network, too. Thought I died and went to heaven when I had 'em. Thing is, I usually eat pretty healthy, but inside I'm a french-fry-a-holic. These were unbelievable.

MtnBiker
01-14-2007, 02:29 PM

That would be great.

I've been making a corriander lime mayo to use on shrimp club sandwiches, great stuff!

jillian
01-14-2007, 02:30 PM

cayenne would be great.. maybe a hit of hot sauce or red curry.

Mr. P
01-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Sounds yummy.

If anyone is in NYC, in the east village, there's a place called Pommes Frites that only makes fries. They have about 20 different kinds of dipping sauce, including aoli, curry, garlic-mayo, etc. Worth the trip if you're a fries person.

http://www.pommesfrites.ws/

Amazing a place that just does fries can make it...They found a niche. :2up:

jillian
01-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Amazing a place that just does fries can make it...They found a niche. :2up:

It's all about location, location, location. East Village is full of college students and people just walking around. Plus, they're amazing!

Mr. P
01-14-2007, 04:02 PM
It's all about location, location, location. East Village is full of college students and people just walking around. Plus, they're amazing!

I wonder what type potatoes they use?

MtnBiker
01-14-2007, 04:45 PM
Russet Burbanks work very well, low moisture high starch content.

jillian
01-14-2007, 05:14 PM
I wonder what type potatoes they use?

They use Idaho potatoes. And, for Biker, if you click on to "menu" on the link, they have a dipping sauce that's pretty much your fry sauce. :wink2:

They're also open til 2:00 a.m. everyday (I think they're open til 3:30 on Friday and Saturday)... just in case you get French Fry cravings in the middle of the night. lol...