PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon chief Gates 'wanted Guantanamo shut'

loosecannon
03-25-2007, 12:34 AM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21433158-1702,00.html

NEW US Defence Secretary Robert Gates wanted the Guantanamo Bay prison shut after he took office, it was reported today.

Mr Gates, who became Pentagon chief in December, argued that terrorism suspects should be tried in the US to make the proceedings more credible, the New York Times reported.

Vice President Dick Cheney, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and others argued against that plan and the discussion ended when President George W. Bush agreed with them, administration officials told the paper.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice had reportedly joined Mr Gates in pushing for the facility to be closed.

Indefinite detention and allegations of mistreatment at Guantanamo Bay have tarnished the US military's image. Many countries, including US allies, have urged the camp be closed.

One official said the issue may come up again if Mr Gonzales is forced to step down because of the current controversy over fired US attorneys.

"Let's see what happens to Gonzales," the senior official told the Times.

"I suspect this one isn't over yet."

The newspaper said the officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were recounting confidential conversations.

The US has brought charges against just one of the 385 foreign captives at Guantanamo Bay.

So Gates and Rice are in the right and Bush, Gonzales and Cheney are in the wrong. Great piece to capture the spirit of the "torture is now US" administration.

Cheney was quoted as saying that "after a joint consultation Gates eventually abugreed with the position of the president".

The WH press secretary Tony Snow announced today that Gates was waterboarded for his initial insubordination.

Gaffer
03-25-2007, 08:39 PM
Why are you so adiment about protecting terrorists?

how about we shut down gitmo and move them all to secret CIA prisons in eastern europe?

loosecannon
03-25-2007, 09:27 PM

how about we shut down gitmo and move them all to secret CIA prisons in eastern europe?

Naturally you are relying on false assumptions. Perhaps you should take your issues up with the man GWB selected to be the new Defense Secretary. He says:

terrorism suspects should be tried in the US to make the proceedings more credible

Indefinite detention and allegations of mistreatment at Guantanamo Bay have tarnished the US military's image. Many countries, including US allies, have urged the camp be closed.

The woman that GWB selected to head the US State Dept agreed with Gates recommendations. You might air your greivances with her as well.

Obviously a man of your accumen and probing insights, and a superior understanding surpassing that of GWB appointees would be in touch with the oval office.

In fact it must have been your objections that over-ruled Gates and Rice.

Sometimes you gotta wonder how those two ever got selected to some of the highest offices in the land while projecting such a naked hatred of freedom and unbridled support for terrorists.

(Bush appointed them)

Gaffer
03-25-2007, 09:53 PM
Naturally you are relying on false assumptions. Perhaps you should take your issues up with the man GWB selected to be the new Defense Secretary. He says:

terrorism suspects should be tried in the US to make the proceedings more credible

The woman that GWB selected to head the US State Dept agreed with Gates recommendations. You might air your greivances with her as well.

Obviously a man of your accumen and probing insights, and a superior understanding surpassing that of GWB appointees would be in touch with the oval office.

In fact it must have been your objections that over-ruled Gates and Rice.

Sometimes you gotta wonder how those two ever got selected to some of the highest offices in the land while projecting such a naked hatred of freedom and unbridled support for terrorists.

(Bush appointed them)

But you didn't answer my question.

loosecannon
03-25-2007, 10:29 PM
But you didn't answer my question.

But I did, your question was based on false assumptions.

And Bush's man Gates answered both of them.

Don't tell me you hate freedom and support terrorists so fervently that you question the wisdom of Bush's hand picked man and woman?

Are you one of them Patriot Actors?

Gaffer
03-26-2007, 12:39 AM
But I did, your question was based on false assumptions.

And Bush's man Gates answered both of them.

Don't tell me you hate freedom and support terrorists so fervently that you question the wisdom of Bush's hand picked man and woman?

Are you one of them Patriot Actors?

Your dodging again I asked, why you support terrorists?

I don't want someone's quotes or what my assumptions might be. I asked you a straight forward question and I want a straight forward answer.

Baron Von Esslingen
03-26-2007, 12:44 AM
Your dodging again I asked, why you support terrorists?

I don't want someone's quotes or what my assumptions might be. I asked you a straight forward question and I want a straight forward answer.

Why do you beat your wife? It assumes facts not in evidence. Typical loaded question from the rightwing cabal. No one supports terrorists. You know it but because we don't support the measures taken to violate our rights while trying to defeat terrorists, you jump the gun and assume, erroneously, that because we have pointed out the incompetency of Bush that we MUST support the terrorists when it is an unsupported claim not based on evidence.

Baron Von Esslingen
03-26-2007, 12:47 AM

How about we put the motherfuckers on trial. How about we convict them so we can send them to jail for the rest of their lives? How about we get out of the torture business? How about we live up to our justice system's promise and put them fuckers away legally so we can turn our FULL attention to hunting down the rest of them or do you like the fact that Osama is still running around free?

Baron Von Esslingen
03-26-2007, 12:48 AM
How about it, Gaffer?

Gaffer
03-26-2007, 01:27 AM
How about we put the motherfuckers on trial. How about we convict them so we can send them to jail for the rest of their lives? How about we get out of the torture business? How about we live up to our justice system's promise and put them fuckers away legally so we can turn our FULL attention to hunting down the rest of them or do you like the fact that Osama is still running around free?

Still didn't answer the question. Just asked other questions. I have never met or seen a democrat that would answer a direct question with a direct answer. You are a true blue dem.

There are 385 bonified terrorists in Gitmo. Calling these guys animals is an insult to animals. Why is it the libs are so worried about a horse and pony show with these guys when they should just be tried in a military court and shot dead. The US doesn't torture, they make people uncomfortable and deny them sleep. They give them truth drugs and get them to talk. There is no need for them to go through our justice system as it does not apply to them. All the torture bullshit is just made up by the libs to have something else to accuse Bush of and nothing more.

Our full attention is already on getting the rest of them. They are being killed and captured on a daily basis in iraq and afganhistan.

Bin Laden is hiding out in pakistan, do you propose we invade pakistan to get him? I personally think he joined his son in iran and is sitting things out comfortably there. But I have no proof of that.

Baron Von Esslingen
03-26-2007, 01:38 AM
Still didn't answer the question. Just asked other questions. I have never met or seen a democrat that would answer a direct question with a direct answer. You are a true blue dem.

There are 385 bonified terrorists in Gitmo. Calling these guys animals is an insult to animals. Why is it the libs are so worried about a horse and pony show with these guys when they should just be tried in a military court and shot dead. The US doesn't torture, they make people uncomfortable and deny them sleep. They give them truth drugs and get them to talk. There is no need for them to go through our justice system as it does not apply to them. All the torture bullshit is just made up by the libs to have something else to accuse Bush of and nothing more.

Our full attention is already on getting the rest of them. They are being killed and captured on a daily basis in iraq and afganhistan.

Bin Laden is hiding out in pakistan, do you propose we invade pakistan to get him? I personally think he joined his son in iran and is sitting things out comfortably there. But I have no proof of that.

I did answer the question. You just didn't like the answer. You got the part about being a Democrat right, at least. Your contention that by saying that I am protecting terrorists by my wanting them put on trial and locked away forever is nonsense.

385 trials and we could be done with this. Why do you insist on protecting them from having their day in court? Why don't you want them locked up in a real jail forever? Why are you shielding them from the justice they must face? Why, Gaffer, why?