PDA

View Full Version : why should i have to join a union to get a job.......

manu1959
12-02-2008, 10:15 PM
there are certain cities and certain jobs you can not get unless you join the union......

why is this type of intollerance still allowed .....

Kathianne
12-02-2008, 10:26 PM
there are certain cities and certain jobs you can not get unless you join the union......

any union would kick you out, upon application. You are 'da man.' Me, everyone love me.

LiberalNation
12-02-2008, 11:10 PM
most places you are automatically enrolled in the union. They have to or they wouldn't get enough people paying their dues considering how worthless many of them are.

Yurt
12-02-2008, 11:43 PM
we're taking affirmative action!

manu1959
12-02-2008, 11:45 PM
we're taking affirmative action!

is that your answer for everything.....

Yurt
12-03-2008, 12:07 AM
is that your answer for everything.....

i thought i would try dem logic for a bit and see if it worked, i guess not.

i think being forced to join a union is unamerican. i somewhat see their view, and that is, at most work places i would probably receive the benefits of the union without having to pay. my first real job was union and i hated the dues, i was poor and that money could actually have made a big difference. i said, i don't want your benefits, health, holidays, i want the money now in my pocket, i have to eat, i want the choice. nope, if i wanted the job (hyatt in san diego) i had to join the union. never used medical and never used holiday...whoooopeee

DragonStryk72
12-03-2008, 01:46 AM

because any politician who doesn't back unions tends to find themselves on the wrong side of them, and being anti-union is considered a sure sign that you are up to no good, just look at Wal-Mart, they've never had a union, and to be honest, a union would be a hurt to them, not a help, but since WM continues to have this opinion, people make the decision that they must be exploiting their workers, and it just rolls downhill from there.

Unions had a place, back when there was no OSHA, when working conditions could be whatever the employer wanted them to be, where there was no overtime, no benefits, no nothing, but as we do have those things now, the unions have become territorial, fastening with an iron grip to those places they are strong. It's much the same with affirmative action, wherein it did serve its initial purpose, but continues to linger on, rotting on the vine so to speak.

Psychoblues
12-03-2008, 03:00 AM
Come on down to Mississippi, dumbo!!!!!!!!!!! Even in a largely Union shop you can go to work here!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mississippi is an open shop state!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hear Toyota is about to open a new plant in Tupelo, the UAW is already set up to organize them and you can set an example for others to follow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

-Cp
12-03-2008, 12:44 PM
You can work for any place which has a union and claim that joining one would violate your religious beliefs and there'd be NOTHING the union could do about it.

I know this first-hand as I used to work with a guy in the Machinist Union (same one Boeing uses) - who got away with it..

Yurt
12-03-2008, 01:09 PM
You can work for any place which has a union and claim that joining one would violate your religious beliefs and there'd be NOTHING the union could do about it.

I know this first-hand as I used to work with a guy in the Machinist Union (same one Boeing uses) - who got away with it..

how do you prove that?

-Cp
12-03-2008, 01:17 PM
You don't have to... Religious views are an area that both employers and unions will not touch..

Yurt
12-03-2008, 04:18 PM
You don't have to... Religious views are an area that both employers and unions will not touch..

good

5stringJeff
12-06-2008, 09:58 AM

Because unions have used the power of the State to form a monopoly on labor in several states. Most of these states are int he Northeast and Midwest - which just happen to be the same state that are losing manufacturing jobs. Coincidence? I think not.

darin
12-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Come on down to Mississippi, dumbo!!!!!!!!!!! Even in a largely Union shop you can go to work here!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mississippi is an open shop state!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hear Toyota is about to open a new plant in Tupelo, the UAW is already set up to organize them and you can set an example for others to follow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

I drove thru Mississippi over Thanksgiving Week. Twice. Both times some old dude was drinking and waving a gun and typing on a lap top in the LEFT LANE as he motored slowly down the freeway w/ his right blinker on.

Was that you?

:)

I'm part of a Union. Thankfully, I don't have to pay dues.