PDA

View Full Version : *Sigh* another coalition

Said1
12-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Same people, different team. This is going to go on until the end of January.....the agony! The national humiliation of Dion being in power, even if it's only for one day - the only way he could lead a coalition is if he had a dog and called it Coalition - and even then, it probably wouldn't listen.

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Stephen Harper has obtained Governor-General Michaëlle Jean's consent to temporarily shut down Parliament, a move that allows him to avoid a confidence vote next week that he was expected to lose.

It's a blow for the Liberal-NDP coalition, backed by the separatist Bloc Québécois, that was seeking to replace the minority Conservative government.

The development buys time for Mr. Harper to assemble an economic package that he hopes will discourage the multiparty alliance from taking him down at that time."

This one even roused Chretien, Martin and Broadbent out of bed!

. More here: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081204.wparliamentday1204/BNStory/Business

5stringJeff
12-06-2008, 10:02 AM
I'm not an expert on Candian politics, but as I understand it, the no-confidence vote came about because Harper introduced an economic package that was unpalatable to everyone else. If he withdraws it and introduces something more moderate, will that placate the Liberals and the NDP?

Said1
12-06-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm not an expert on Candian politics, but as I understand it, the no-confidence vote came about because Harper introduced an economic package that was unpalatable to everyone else. If he withdraws it and introduces something more moderate, will that placate the Liberals and the NDP?

There were some other things, but yes, that's how it SHOULD work. What is essentially happening is that the same parties that formed a coalition and voted no-confidence in order to remove the Liberal government are doing it to Harper and his minority government, presently. My guess is that certain promises made to coalition parties in '06 were not being fulfilled in the budget he planned to present in his throne speech on Monday - negatively impacting their campaign funding in the future - no more subsidies was on the list. Some were even expecting him to appeal to the Queen in order to remove the present GG, but she did what he wanted. :laugh2: