PDA

View Full Version : NY Times - Joe The Plumber Is 'A No Good Citizen'

red states rule
12-07-2008, 05:31 AM
Another example of pure liberal arrogance

Typing Without a Clue
By TIMOTHY EGAN
Published: December 6, 2008

The unlicensed pipe fitter known as Joe the Plumber is out with a book this month, just as the last seconds on his 15 minutes are slipping away. I have a question for Joe: Do you want me to fix your leaky toilet?

I didn’t think so. And I don’t want you writing books. Not when too many good novelists remain unpublished. Not when too many extraordinary histories remain unread. Not when too many riveting memoirs are kicked back at authors after 10 years of toil. Not when voices in Iran, North Korea or China struggle to get past a censor’s gate.

Joe, a k a Samuel J. Wurzelbacher, was no good as a citizen, having failed to pay his full share of taxes, no good as a plumber, not being fully credentialed, and not even any good as a faux American icon. Who could forget poor John McCain at his most befuddled, calling out for his working-class surrogate on a day when Joe stiffed him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/07/opinion/07egan.html?_r=1&ref=opinion

Noir
12-07-2008, 06:04 AM
So what part do you think is arragont? 'joe' is a tax dodger. And he's using fame that he shouldn't have to try and pocket himself a load of cash. I can only imagin what you would be saying if 'joe' were a liberal.

red states rule
12-07-2008, 06:09 AM
So what part do you think is arragont? 'joe' is a tax dodger. And he's using fame that he shouldn't have to try and pocket himself a load of cash. I can only imagin what you would be saying if 'joe' were a liberal.

The op ed in the NY Times is another example of meaningless liberal hate with no real purpose, except to make the liberal writer feel good

I am not surprised however. The nerve of a common citizen to ask the messiah a serious question? What nerve! What gall!

And when the messiah screws up the answer, well, the knives come out for the private citizen who stepped out of line

5stringJeff
12-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Good for Joe on doing what he does. The government shouldn't have to give you permission to work in a particular vocation.

red states rule
12-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Good for Joe on doing what he does. The government shouldn't have to give you permission to work in a particular vocation.

The ignored fact in this case is that Joe does operate under a license - his boss's license

The liberla media lied and distorted the tag line how Joe was unlicensed

Immanuel
12-08-2008, 05:19 PM

How about doctors? Lawyers? Public Accountants?

However, I agree with RSR, this is an example of arrogance by Timothy Egan. How dare he call Joe "a no good citizen"? Tim Egan is an ass and a political hack of the lowest class and he proves it with this Op Ed piece of shit.

I'm sure as hell not going to buy Joe's book. But, more power to him, if he can find a publisher who wants to take a risk on an inexperienced author.

Immie

5stringJeff
12-08-2008, 06:00 PM

However, I agree with RSR, this is an example of arrogance by Timothy Egan. How dare he call Joe "a no good citizen"? Tim Egan is an ass and a political hack of the lowest class and he proves it with this Op Ed piece of shit.

I'm sure as hell not going to buy Joe's book. But, more power to him, if he can find a publisher who wants to take a risk on an inexperienced author.

Immie

None of these need to be licensed by the state. You only need to know what credentials they've earned. For example, is your accountant a CPA? Where did your doctor go to med school?

Immanuel
12-08-2008, 06:08 PM
None of these need to be licensed by the state. You only need to know what credentials they've earned. For example, is your accountant a CPA? Where did your doctor go to med school?

I believe you are wrong on that account.

A doctor must be licensed (by the state) in order to practice medicine. If he screws up it is the state that removes his right to practice medicine.

A CPA must be take an exam and be licensed by the state to put those pretty little initials behind his/her name. Without passing the exam and being licensed it is a crime to bill yourself out as a Certified Public Accountant.

A lawyer must take a state administered Bar Exam in order to practice law in a state.

Simply going to Harvard Law School does not allow you to practice law in any state. You still must take the Bar Exam, pass it and be licensed (which includes paying annual fees and taking continuing education courses) in order to remain licensed.

Immie

5stringJeff
12-08-2008, 06:13 PM

A doctor must be licensed (by the state) in order to practice medicine. If he screws up it is the state that removes his right to practice medicine.

A CPA must be take an exam and be licensed by the state to put those pretty little initials behind his/her name. Without passing the exam and being licensed it is a crime to bill yourself out as a Certified Public Accountant.

A lawyer must take a state administered Bar Exam in order to practice law in a state.

Simply going to Harvard Law School does not allow you to practice law in any state. You still must take the Bar Exam, pass it and be licensed (which includes paying annual fees and taking continuing education courses) in order to remain licensed.

Immie

I understand that. I'm saying that you should not have to get the state's permission to work in those professions.

darin
12-08-2008, 06:13 PM

Immie

He's not saying there's no REQUIREMENT by the state, I think he's saying it shouldn't be so. I think he's coming from a caveat emptor point of view.

darin
12-08-2008, 06:14 PM
I understand that. I'm saying that you should not have to get the state's permission to work in those professions.

doh! Sorry dude. :)

5stringJeff
12-08-2008, 06:18 PM
doh! Sorry dude. :)

:thumb:

manu1959
12-08-2008, 06:20 PM

nevermind.... didn't read all you posts....disagree with you though....people hold themselves up as thingfs they are not....

actually they all need a license to practice....as do architects, contractors etc.....deparmtne of consumer affairs regulates and licenses such folks....

unlicensed people can practice under a licensed person but can not use the "title" without a license....

at least this is the case in california...

Immanuel
12-08-2008, 07:59 PM

He's not saying there's no REQUIREMENT by the state, I think he's saying it shouldn't be so. I think he's coming from a caveat emptor point of view.

Ah, my apologies, I did think you meant that there was no requirement for those professions.

I do, however, disagree then with your statement Jeff about not needing the state to license professions. For instance, if no licensing requirements are out there, an unscrupulous person can claim to have attended UCLA's medical school, open a clinic and practice medicine until he has killed all the patients that would dare to walk in his door.

Same kind of thing with a CPA or a lawyer... well, excluding the death of the patients that is. Maybe rather than death it would be imprisonment of all who walk in his door.

Immie

5stringJeff
12-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Ah, my apologies, I did think you meant that there was no requirement for those professions.

I do, however, disagree then with your statement Jeff about not needing the state to license professions. For instance, if no licensing requirements are out there, an unscrupulous person can claim to have attended UCLA's medical school, open a clinic and practice medicine until he has killed all the patients that would dare to walk in his door.

Same kind of thing with a CPA or a lawyer... well, excluding the death of the patients that is. Maybe rather than death it would be imprisonment of all who walk in his door.

Immie

One could attempt that. Of course, with fraud laws still on the books and verification of such details pretty easy to do, I don't think that would be especially common. Organizations like the Better Business Bureau already serve a function in our economy of "weeding out" the bad businesses; the BBB or similar organizations could do the same thing in the abscence of state licensing.

DragonStryk72
12-10-2008, 03:39 AM

Immie

Because it's an op-ed, that's why.

The thing is, Joe wasn't licensed as a plumber, wasn't anywhere near to start the business he was claiming, and generally dug his own grave. He let people keep on thinking that he was legit the whole time, and he wasn't. Now he gets to have a book about his life? We got way too many people writing books these days who have no life experience worth mulling over.

Little-Acorn
12-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Well this should be a lesson to Joe, and to anyone else who works hard, earns an honest living, takes care of his kids, and handles the bumps and bruises of ordinary life without demanding that government make someone else pay for his needs.

If you see a politician like Barack Obama coming uninvited into your neighborhood or, God forbid, onto the street where you live, RUN RUN RUN. Go inside your house, take your kids inside, and bolt the door, and hopefully the politician will go away without noticing you.

And if you somehow get into a conversation to him (on live TV, that's inevitable with today's politicians), do not, repeat not, ever point out the truth to him abot what his stated policies will do to you.

You will find yourself harassed, pilloried, lied about. State officials will start combing through all of your records, with an eye toward destroying you publicly. Your most intimate detaisl, and suposedly-private information, will be smeared all over the front pages of the country's leading newspapers, especially the ones losing readership. You will be accused of criminal behavior, child neglect, fraud, and other assorted charges - all by people you can neither confront nor answer.

All this happened to Joe... because he made the mistake of pointing out to the media's darling Obama that his proposed taxes would hurt the business Joe wanted to buy. The fact that it was completely true, is irrelevant.

Remember this lesson well, Joe. Politicians - especially liberal ones - are NOT your friend. Speaking truth to power is what you absolutely do NOT want to do to these people, EVER. And their close associates, in and out of the press, are far worse. Notice how they are still screeching with rage at you, now, months after the event, even though their chosen one won the election.

Remember this lesson well, Joe.

Abbey Marie
12-10-2008, 12:11 PM
And YET AGAIN the left wants to silence the speech of those they disagree with. This is getting to be an almost daily event.