PDA

View Full Version : Tribune Co. Going Bankrupt?

Kathianne
12-08-2008, 05:31 AM
Never do they mention their falling circulation, just like the NY Times. I don't believe people don't want a newspaper, but they want the news, not every reporters opinion.

I cancelled my Trib subscription a few months ago, when I realized that nearly all the 'news' I read, I'd read the night before. Their analysis no longer seemed relevant and half the time I was wondering if they even employed editors any longer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/08/business/media/08tribune.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

December 8, 2008
Tribune Co. Could Be Flirting With Bankruptcy

By RICHARD PÉREZ-PEÑA and MICHAEL J. de la MERCED
The Tribune Company, the newspaper chain that owns The Chicago Tribune and The Los Angeles Times, is trying to negotiate new terms with its creditors and has hired advisers for a possible bankruptcy filing, according to people briefed on the matter.

Tribune is in danger of falling below the cash flow required under its agreement with its bondholders, but it is not clear how seriously Tribune is thinking about seeking bankruptcy protection. Analysts and bankruptcy experts say that the hiring of advisers, including Lazard and Sidley Austin, one of the company’s longtime law firms, could be a just-in-case move, or a bargaining tactic. The company would not comment on Sunday....

Noir
12-08-2008, 05:52 AM
I don't really bother with news papers anymore, you can get news 24/7 on the Internet or on world news for free, I do still buy 'the week' for a round up of world events and the best of the weeks collums. But it is undoutable that the media of newspaper a dying, I wouldn't be surprised if they where to cease printing within the next few decades, to be replaced by blogs, rss feeds and e-books with Internet access.

PostmodernProphet
12-08-2008, 06:51 AM
newspapers aren't dying because of the impact of media on news.....they are dying because of the impact of media on adverstising......the last time you wanted to buy or sell something, did you think of the local paper's want ads or Craig's list.......

LiberalNation
12-08-2008, 07:24 AM
I like the paper for local news and local letters to the editor, that's about it.

Psychoblues
12-08-2008, 05:41 PM
My local newspaper has turned into nothing more than a "Shoppers News" and I'm not going to pay 50 cents for something that should be free. I used to appreciate the Wall Street Journal but they are becoming less and less objective and are now even prone to publishing unsigned opinion pieces with political agendas. I can get all of that off the net.

Psychoblues