PDA

View Full Version : Studies Show Dogs Have Sense Of Fairness

Psychoblues
12-08-2008, 11:14 PM
I've known this about all my life and been told it was bullshit. This study confirms that I have been correct all along!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Source: Associated Press

Studies show dogs have sense of fairness

By RANDOLPH E. SCHMID, AP Science Writer – Mon Dec 8, 11:17 am ET

WASHINGTON – No fair! What parent hasn't heard that from a child who thinks another youngster got more of something. Well, it turns out dogs can react the same way.
Ask them to do a trick and they'll give it a try. For a reward, sausage say, they'll happily keep at it.

But if one dog gets no reward, and then sees another get sausage for doing the same trick, just try to get the first one to do it again.
Indeed, he may even turn away and refuse to look at you.

Dogs, like people and monkeys, seem to have a sense of fairness.

"Animals react to inequity," said Friederike Range of the University of Vienna, Austria, who lead a team of researchers testing animals at the school's Clever Dog Lab. "To avoid stress, we should try to avoid treating them differently." Similar responses have been seen in monkeys................

More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081208/ap_on_sc/sci_no_fair

The only one in my house that can be more of a bitch than my wife when she feels that she's been or being mistreated is my lil' Chin, Sandi Sue!!!!!!!!!!!!

Des
12-08-2008, 11:25 PM
What they can't prove is whether or not it's a "natural" thing, or a sense developed from constant contact with humans.

Psychoblues
12-08-2008, 11:29 PM
I can't speak for the scientific proof of which you speak, Des, but I have observed similar behavior in the wild thousands of times. Do you get out much?

Psychoblues

Des
12-08-2008, 11:42 PM
I can't speak for the scientific proof of which you speak, Des, but I have observed similar behavior in the wild thousands of times. Do you get out much?

Psychoblues

Lately, no.

;)

Animals both wild and domestic have been known to demonstrate "human" traits like compassion, understanding, endurance to protect something, etc, etc. Why not fairness?

Psychoblues
12-09-2008, 12:19 AM
Even the city dwellers can simply watch birds and enjoy their interactions and behavioral traits. Hopefully, many of them have house pets and there is no better way to observe the intelligence of animals than simply having and nurturing a dog or cat or gerbil or even a rat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lately, no.

;)

Animals both wild and domestic have been known to demonstrate "human" traits like compassion, understanding, endurance to protect something, etc, etc. Why not fairness?

Thanks for the jamm, Des!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues