PDA

View Full Version : A special gift

Mr. P
12-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Did you receive a special gift on your 21st birthday that you still cherish?

I did and now it's time to present one to my daughter...I'm just at a lose for what it could be. Just looking for ideas.

Des
12-08-2008, 11:48 PM
Nope :). I was going to get a nice bottle of wine to save for my 30th or something, but I wasn't in the condition to be drinking. It might be a good idea for someone else, though.

Psychoblues
12-09-2008, 12:47 AM
I got to sleep in on my 21st birthday. I was at Pleiku Air Base, Viet Nam.

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

Kathianne
12-09-2008, 05:59 AM

I did and now it's time to present one to my daughter...I'm just at a lose for what it could be. Just looking for ideas.

This may sound sort of Republican, but my mom gave me a single strand of pearls she had bought from CD Peacock's when she was 21, (her mother was dead), that she had saved up for to give to herself. I still have them in the original blue clam shell case. I had to have them re-strung, but very much worth it. Still go very nice with that little black dress.

While the gift was very nice, perhaps more importantly she wrote me a letter, which was very sentimental, confidence building, and inspiring. I still have that too!

Abbey Marie
12-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Nope. I was in law school, and I'm sure it was just another day in the library.

Mr. P
12-09-2008, 02:52 PM
This may sound sort of Republican, but my mom gave me a single strand of pearls she had bought from CD Peacock's when she was 21, (her mother was dead), that she had saved up for to give to herself. I still have them in the original blue clam shell case. I had to have them re-strung, but very much worth it. Still go very nice with that little black dress.

While the gift was very nice, perhaps more importantly she wrote me a letter, which was very sentimental, confidence building, and inspiring. I still have that too!

The thought of a letter did cross my mind. That might be the best gift ever.
Thanks for bringing it back to mind!

Abbey Marie
12-09-2008, 02:58 PM
The thought of a letter did cross my mind. That might be the best gift ever.
Thanks for bringing it back to mind!

Good point. I would love to have received a letter like that.

Noir
12-09-2008, 04:31 PM
I'll get back to ya in a a few years time, but knowing my dad I am prob gonna get a grass trimmer and a high-vis jacket...'cue you just never know...'

jackass
12-09-2008, 07:31 PM
How about a scapbook of her growing up. By scrapbook I dont mean just pics in an album. If you dont know what scapbooking is (I didnt until I met my wife) look it up. They can be very nice.

Kathianne
12-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Good point. I would love to have received a letter like that.

My mom was good for that. My brother and I just showed each other our letters a few months ago, neither knowing the other had received them, at the time both personal and embarrassing. We both have done them with our children.

I received mine on:

the day of my birth

1st day of kindergarten

First Communion

'graduation' from 8th grade

graduation from high school

21st birthday

wedding day

after my mom's first stroke, that was the last.

5stringJeff
12-09-2008, 09:53 PM

Yeah. A Bud Light from my lieutenant. First legal drink!!! :thumb:

12-09-2008, 10:30 PM
I dont know that i recieved anything for that birthday. I remember working. atleast i think that was the summer i was working.

PostmodernProphet
12-09-2008, 10:42 PM
odd.....when I was 19 I moved to a state where the legal age was 18....then when I was 22, the legal age went back to 21.....I never had one of those "now you are legal" days......

Kathianne
12-09-2008, 11:05 PM
I''m really sorry that some of you didn't have the parents of a Mr. P or my mom, but I've no doubt you could regale us with plenty of stories, without denigrating his wishes for his daughter or my memories of my mom.

manu1959
12-09-2008, 11:15 PM
my birthday is december 30th.....often forgotten....i do remember my 16th ...... case of beer and a subscription to playboy

Mr. P
12-09-2008, 11:29 PM
I''m really sorry that some of you didn't have the parents of a Mr. P or my mom, but I've no doubt you could regale us with plenty of stories, without denigrating his wishes for his daughter or my memories of my mom.

Thanks Kathianne, I think some may have thought this thread a joke from some of what I've read.

manu1959
12-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Thanks Kathianne, I think some may have thought this thread a joke from some of what I've read.

nah we just had less thoughtfull parents than you and kath.....count yourself lucky.....

i have a daughter that is 6 ..... had no clue what i will get her....till now..... a note form dad and a strand of pearls does sound like the right gift.....

jimnyc
12-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Jack shit from anyone who mattered. I think one of my buddies bought me a bottle of vodka and the other got me an 1/8 of some good buds. Don't remember much other than that.