Kathianne
12-09-2008, 09:54 AM
http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2008/12/report-feds-arr.html
:dance:

stephanie
12-09-2008, 09:58 AM
just another day in Chicago politics..

how sad is that..

and that is where our new dear leader came from..yea!

Kathianne
12-09-2008, 10:20 AM
just another day in Chicago politics..

how sad is that..

and that is where our new dear leader came from..yea!

Indeed. It's the state, not just Dems or Reps, all.

gabosaurus
12-09-2008, 11:40 AM
How weird is it that -- this guy won office because he promised to "clean up" the state after the previous governor was tossed out. Now he is become a crook himself.
As Kathianne said, there has long been a stink in Chicago and Illinois politics.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/

12-09-2008, 11:42 AM
How weird is it that -- this guy won office because he promised to "clean up" the state after the previous governor was tossed out. Now he is become a crook himself.
As Kathianne said, there has long been a stink in Chicago and Illinois politics.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/

yeah. never seen that before [/sarcasm]. He is a Democrat. Nuff said.

Little-Acorn
12-09-2008, 11:54 AM
A LONG article about it... but somehow they just couldn't find the room to mention what political party he was in.

Just an accidental omission, I'm sure. Even hardworking, careful journalists "occasionally" make mistakes.

---------------------------------------------------------------

chicagotribune.com
TRIBUNE EXCLUSIVE
Blagojevich's Senate selection process investigated
Federal probe widens to Obama's vacant seat

By Jeff Coen, David Kidwell and Monique Garcia

Tribune staff reporters

5:35 AM CST, December 9, 2008

UPDATE: Source:

A source said today that Gov. Rod Blagojevich was taken into federal custody at his North Side home this morning. The U.S. attorney's office would not confirm the information, and a spokesman for the governor did not immediately return a phone call for comment.

A three-year federal corruption investigation of pay-to-play politics in Gov. Rod Blagojevich's administration has expanded to include his impending selection of a new U.S. senator to succeed President-elect Barack Obama, the Tribune has learned.

Federal authorities got approval from a judge before the November general election to secretly record the governor, sources told the Tribune, and among their concerns was whether the selection process might be tainted. That possibility has become a focus in an intensifying investigation that has included recordings of the governor and the cooperation of one of his closest friends.

The governor has not been accused of any wrongdoing. The specific contents of the recent recordings have not been disclosed. Blagojevich has said the appointment of a Senate successor, which is his choice alone, could come in a matter of weeks.

Speaking to reporters Monday for the first time since the Tribune revealed federal investigators had recorded him and others as part of their corruption probe, Blagojevich said his discussions were "always lawful." He also defended close confidant John Wyma, whose cooperation with federal agents helped lead to the recordings, as "an honest person who's conducted himself in an honest way."

"I should say if anybody wants to tape my conversations, go right ahead, feel free to do it," he said. "I appreciate anybody who wants to tape me openly and notoriously, and those who feel like they want to sneakily, and wear taping devices, I would remind them that it kind of smells like Nixon and Watergate."

Unlike the recordings that the federal government has of Blagojevich, the tapes that led to President Richard Nixon's 1974 resignation over the burglary of Democratic offices at the Watergate complex and the ensuing coverup were made by Nixon himself.

Regardless of "whether you tape me privately or publicly, I can tell you that whatever I say is always lawful and the things I'm interested in are always lawful," Blagojevich said. "And if there are any things out there like that, what you'll hear is a governor who tirelessly and endlessly figures out ways to help average, ordinary working people."

Blagojevich's comments came amid increasing concern by Democrats that the governor's pending appointment of a Senate successor may become politically tainted as a result of the investigations surrounding his administration. Federal investigators have been looking into allegations of corruption regarding state jobs, appointments and contracts in connection with Blagojevich's prolific fundraising.

Blagojevich has not been charged with any wrongdoing and contended that if federal investigators areƒs "going to those lengths and extents [of obtaining recordings], if in fact that's true, that would suggest all the past has been pretty good."

"I don't believe there's any cloud that hangs over me. I think there's nothing but sunshine hanging over me," the governor said.

Blagojevich made the remarks at a Monday morning visit to laid-off workers staging a sit-in at the Republic Windows & Doors plant on Goose Island.

Later Monday, he met for 90 minutes with Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., the South Side and southwest suburban congressman who has been the most visibly active campaigner for the appointment to replace Obama. Jackson, who was among the last high-profile Senate successor candidates to speak with Blagojevich, has had disagreements with the governor and is not close to him.

Blagojevich issued a strong defense of Wyma and accused the Tribune of publishing misinformation and possibly defamatory material.

"To begin with, they didn't get it right," he said. "John Wyma's lawyer put out a statement. The Tribune was wrong and very well may have defamed him."

But the statement from Wyma's lawyer did not directly address the Tribune story and instead appeared directed at media outlets and others who reported Wyma wore a wire.

The Tribune noted that Wyma's cooperation with federal investigators helped lead to recordings of Blagojevich but did not report that he wore a wire.

Wyma's lawyer also did not respond to the Tribune's report that Wyma was cooperating with investigators. "John Wyma is a friend of mine, he was my chief of staff, and I'm sure whatever he does, he does ethically and follows the rules," the governor said.

Blagojevich said he would not remove Wyma from his inner circle of advisers. He also told the Tribune that Wyma was not involved in the deliberations over an Obama successor. "No, I consider him a friend. and I don't consider him as anything but a friend. And to someone who, as I've known him, always has been an honest person who's conducted himself in an honest way," Blagojevich said of Wyma. "That's the John Wyma I know and it's the John Wyma that [Obama's incoming chief of staff, Rep.] Rahm Emanuel knows and a lot of other people know."

Blagojevich said he had last spoken to Wyma the day before Thanksgiving, when he offered holiday wishes and "talked a little bit about the plight of the Detroit Lions. He's from Michigan."

And the governor indicated he was not concerned about Wyma cooperating with federal investigators. "Look, I believe everybody should just tell the truth and pursue the truth and be truthful and then you do that and everything's fine," he said.

Tribune reporter John Chase contributed to this report.

stephanie
12-09-2008, 12:00 PM
the lamestream media has become the Republicans and Conservatives enemy..

we need to shout this out to the American people..

if this had been a Republican Governor, Republican would of been in the title..

actsnoblemartin
12-09-2008, 12:08 PM
as a great band once said, sad but true

conservatives, liberal media

:slap:

the lamestream media has become the Republicans and Conservatives enemy..

we need to shout this out to the American people..

if this had been a Republican Governor, Republican would of been in the title..

Kathianne
12-09-2008, 12:55 PM
yeah. never seen that before [/sarcasm]. He is a Democrat. Nuff said.

We have our last governor currently sitting in jail. This one will join him, This one is a Dem, the last Rep. The one before that, Dem, (Walker.) Then there was Otto Kerner and Paul Powell with shoeboxes of money. Wait, you'll be reading about a whole lot more than selling a Senate seat.

Yurt
12-09-2008, 02:36 PM
when is the evidence coming out about that crooked senator

Abbey Marie
12-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Trying to get reporters fired for criticizing him, is sick. Why do Dems hate free speeech so much?

Yurt
12-09-2008, 06:27 PM
more lies and interesting relationships....

The president-elect was blunt and brief in addressing the case on Tuesday: "I had no contact with the governor or his office, and so I was not aware of what was happening" concerning any possible dealing about Blagojevich's appointment of a successor.

It also raises the specter of notorious Chicago politics, an image Obama has tried to distance himself from during his career.

There were signs the continuing investigation could still involve him

His statement that he didn't have contact with Blagojevich about the Senate seat seems to conflict with that of top adviser David Axelrod, who told Fox News Chicago on Nov. 23: "I know he's talked to the governor, and there are a whole range of names, many of which have surfaced, and I think he has a fondness for a lot of them."

Obama has said little about the many misconduct allegations that have piled up against Blagojevich, and he has complimented Blagojevich for running "a sound administration" with "the right priorities."

Obama's circle of major Illinois political allies and supporters is largely separate from Blagojevich's, with two major exceptions. Both Obama and Blagojevich got extensive money and support from Chicago businessman Antoin "Tony" Rezko, who is now under federal indictment. And Obama is close to Illinois Senate President Emil Jones, who has been the governor's staunchest legislative ally.

the more we know and find out about obama the dirtier and more dishonest he seems

12-09-2008, 07:01 PM
You know, If it wasnt for the fact that Obama and his cronies keep denying his involvement in this despite the fact that no one has accused them of anything, I wouldnt even think about Obama in regards to this situation. But because they keep denying involvement, its starting to make me wonder.

REDWHITEBLUE2
12-09-2008, 08:21 PM
You know, If it wasnt for the fact that Obama and his cronies keep denying his involvement in this despite the fact that no one has accused them of anything, I wouldnt even think about Obama in regards to this situation. But because they keep denying involvement, its starting to make me wonder.
According to one report today Tony Rezko was a go between for obama and the crooked Gov

hjmick
12-09-2008, 08:56 PM

the more we know and find out about obama the dirtier and more dishonest he seems

Now now...Axelrod simply "misspoke" last month. Three weeks before Blagojevich is arrested.

From Ben Smith's blog:

Aide: Ax 'misspoke'

An Obama aide, speaking on the condition of anonymity, took back David Axelrod's remark last month that Barack Obama and Rod Blagojevich had spoken recently.

"What the president-elect said today is correct, David Axelrod misspoke," the aide said.

Obama said today the men had not spoken.

An open question: When they last spoke.

UPDATE: Axelrod says the same in a statement:

I was mistaken when I told an interviewer last month that the President-elect has spoken directly to Governor Blagojevich about the Senate vacancy. They did not then or at any time discuss the subject.

The statement doesn't answer a question that I've asked, so far fruitlessly, of the transition, which is when Obama and Blagojevich last spoke on any subject, and what about.

Link... (http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1208/Aide_Ax_misspoke.html)

Indeed. When did they last speak and about what...

Yurt
12-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Now now...Axelrod simply "misspoke" last month. Three weeks before Blagojevich is arrested.

From Ben Smith's blog:

Indeed. When did they last speak and about what...

:lol:

uh huh

Kathianne
12-09-2008, 09:45 PM
:lol:

uh huh

Illinois is sounding 'cleaner' already. Let's hope, we need it.

5stringJeff
12-09-2008, 10:00 PM
He, Stevens, and Jefferson can all swap 'corrupt politician' stories.

red states rule
12-10-2008, 05:27 AM

Where is MFM, (or moderate democrate, or retired man) when Obama needs some PR work done? :laugh2:

red states rule
12-10-2008, 05:29 AM
suspect this will anger liberals more then trying to sell a US Senate seat to the highest bidder

Blagojevich Wanted Obama Cabinet Appointment, Well-Paying Job, or Campaign Money, FBI Says
The FBI says Blagojevich wanted an appointment to the Obama cabinet as Secretary of Health and Human Services, a well-paying job, or huge campaign contributions as the price for naming Obama's successor.

Blagojevich was overheard by the FBI saying "I want to make money," complaining he was "financially hurting."

Blagojevich also sought a high paying job for his wife, according to the FBI. "Is there a play here, with these guys, with her" to work for a firm in Washington or New York, he reportedly asked.

The FBI affidavit said Blagojevich had been told by an adviser "the president-elect can get Rod Blagojevich's wife on paid corporate boards in exchange for naming the president-elect's pick to the Senate."

Told by two other advisers he has to "suck it up" for two years, the FBI says it heard Blagojevich complain he has to give this "motherf***er [the president-elect] his senator. F*** him. For nothing? F*** him."

The governor is heard saying he will pick another candidate "before I just give f***ing [Senate Candidate l] a f***ing Senate seat and I don't get anything."

http://www.abcnews.go.com/print?id=6424985

red states rule
12-10-2008, 05:45 AM
Illinois is sounding 'cleaner' already. Let's hope, we need it.

Looks like Pres Obama has a name on his pardon list :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
12-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Oh boy oh boy oh boy. This is getting interesting.

red states rule
12-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Oh boy oh boy oh boy. This is getting interesting.

It will get even better. The Obama team has already stepped in it only a few hours after the story broke

I expect Obama to hold a news conference and tell the nation this is not the Blogo he knew

bullypulpit
12-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Hmmm...Lemme think here. Wasn't Blogo's predecessor in the Governors office Jim Ryan...A Republican(drama sting: Dah, dah, daaaaah!)?

Wasn't Republican prosecutor, Patrick Fitzgerald, anathema to Republican's when he secured the conviction of "Scooter" Libby? Now the right wing pundits sing his praises. How fickle.

Corrupt politicians belong behind bars, regardless of their party affiliation or claimed ideology. Fuck 'em...They betrayed their trust. Let 'em take their chances sharing a cell with a 300lb yard-bull named "Bubbles", and trading cigarettes for their lives.

Abbey Marie
12-10-2008, 10:33 AM
It will get even better. The Obama team has already stepped in it only a few hours after the story broke

I expect Obama to hold a news conference and tell the nation this is not the Blogo he knew

Sounds like the bus is rolling out of the bus yard again.

red states rule
12-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Sounds like the bus is rolling out of the bus yard again.

After a 2 year election Abbey, we are only know finding out in the liberal media how corrupt Chicago politics are :rolleyes:

Abbey Marie
12-10-2008, 10:49 AM
After a 2 year election Abbey, we are only know finding out in the liberal media how corrupt Chicago politics are :rolleyes:

Why should they worry, though? One flattening by the bus, and the perpetrator is forever distanced in the eyes of Dem America.

red states rule
12-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Over the next few days, the left will go into attack mode. They will whine how talk radio, and Fox News is making way to much of this story

Like with Rev Wright, Rezko, and Ayers - the rabid right is trying to tear down Obama, and all Chicago politicians

Bottom line, we do not know who Obama is, and we do not know because the left and liberal media did NOT want to know

stephanie
12-10-2008, 11:11 AM
people with a brain who thinks knew who the Obambam was...he's a thug, he's a fraud, he's a liar....his whole political career was handed to him by people who figured he could be useful(because his so called....blackness) and he could speak in tongues and circles, and he gladly went along with them, he hates America and white people, he is so deep into the Chicago political machine we all know what we are getting...and it's not going to be pretty..

Binky
12-10-2008, 01:07 PM
We have our last governor currently sitting in jail. This one will join him, This one is a Dem, the last Rep. The one before that, Dem, (Walker.) Then there was Otto Kerner and Paul Powell with shoeboxes of money. Wait, you'll be reading about a whole lot more than selling a Senate seat.

Simply unbelievable. What the hell is going on in this country? It seems corruption, deviant behavior etc. is spreading throughout it. And Chicago seems to be a cess pool full of vipers and throughout the state. Good God! Well, I sure hope he gets to spend time in prison with the previous gov. Maybe they can exchange notes on how not to be a buttplug.

Anyway, one thing for sure, it's long since high time that we cleanup America and get rid of the corrupted individuals in it. How about a war on corruption? Problem is, too much corruption and not enough brooms.

Binky
12-10-2008, 01:21 PM
My oh my! It seems Illinois is full of drama and we're all going to have to keep our noses glued to the tube to find out the next tantalizing tidbit of news. Who the hell knows where this is all going to lead? This is certainly getting more interesting as the days fly by. Hmmm....I wonder where the path of corruption will lead us to next.....Interesting!

This is on it's way to becoming a soap opera.

gabosaurus
12-10-2008, 01:31 PM
This has gone so deep, it is almost Louisiana.
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/1209081rod1.html

12-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Obama is doing more spin saying he is not involved. But the more he protests the more I think he is involved. One of his spokespeople today said that Gov. Blogo was probably going to "lie to take Obama down with him." Makes me wonder what they think the Governor is going to say.

Its totally freaky. No one accuses Obama of everything and they start denying like crazy. I mean i know you want to defend your guy but lets wait till they are accused of something.

BTW I nominate Kathianne to be the new Governor. She would get rid of corruption fast;)

gabosaurus
12-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Kathianne needs to stay out of politics. I prefer her to be uncorrupted.

12-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Kathianne needs to stay out of politics. I prefer her to be uncorrupted.

Politics doesnt corrupt people. People corrupt politics.

Abbey Marie
12-10-2008, 03:47 PM
I'd love to be in that first executive staff meeting where someone tries to BS Kathianne. :coffee:

Kathianne
12-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Hmmm...Lemme think here. Wasn't Blogo's predecessor in the Governors office Jim Ryan...A Republican(drama sting: Dah, dah, daaaaah!)?

Wasn't Republican prosecutor, Patrick Fitzgerald, anathema to Republican's when he secured the conviction of "Scooter" Libby? Now the right wing pundits sing his praises. How fickle.

Corrupt politicians belong behind bars, regardless of their party affiliation or claimed ideology. Fuck 'em...They betrayed their trust. Let 'em take their chances sharing a cell with a 300lb yard-bull named "Bubbles", and trading cigarettes for their lives.

Bully it's silly you act as if this topic is something new with me. I've been writing about Chicago/Illinois cesspool politics for years as I'm sure you are aware. Back at the old site:

01-22-2005, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by OCA
Wait a sec, The Demos have always handled Chicago politics through Daley and secondly through the mobs control of wardman and to my understanding....so goes Chicago politics so goes Illlinois politics. I'm not aware of GOP corruption there, all I know is they are trying to make this Obama charachter into the second coming of Jesus himself, I took a look at his stances and he's the same ol'tired liberal democrat, what are they thinking?

Better yet though lets take a look at arguably the 3 leading Demos out there, the defacto leaders of the party:

Bill Clinton: impeached president for only the second time in history, need I say more?

Hillary Clinton: basically carpetbagged her way into the Senate by running in New York, a highly liberal state because she knew she was unelectable in Arkansas. She has less to do with New Yorkers than I do.

Ted Kennedy: the man is a drunk and has actually killed somebody driving DUI but yet in typical liberal fashion has never owned up to it.

These are their leaders, and they wonder why they lose.
Chicago controls Chicago, not the state. The 5 collar counties and downstate have that. Check out George Ryan. Obama is at National level. Check out Alderman Mell and Gov. Blogo. That is Illinois politics.

One more, there are plenty, but you go search:

06-16-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by no1tovote4
Durbin is your Senator? Damn, I'm sorry...

Thank you. I needed that. Our governor is a whacko. Mayor of Chicago is having major problems. I live in probably one of the most Republican counties in the country, yet corruption is rampant here too. What is it with Illinois?

More recently here:

http://debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=317977&highlight=illinois+corruption+fitzgerald#post31797 7

http://debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=307690&highlight=illinois+corruption+fitzgerald#post30769 0

Kathianne
12-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Just ran across this, too funny!

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZjU0MmQxNDQyYzlkNWI4MTVkYTliZDU4ZDdlZjZjM2M=

Re: Under the Bus [Mark Krikorian]
He was just a governor who lived in my neighborhood.

Which was in response to this:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/1323708,obama-blagojevich-resign-governor-121008.article

Obama calls for Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich to resign

Recommend (11) Comments
December 10, 2008
FROM THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
President-elect Barack Obama called for Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich to resign on Wednesday, hours after the embattled governor reported for work amid charges he plotted to sell Obama's vacant Senate seat.

Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs said the president-elect agrees with other prominent politicians in Illinois and elsewhere that "under the current circumstances, it is difficult for the governor to effectively do his job and serve the people of Illinois."

Blagojevich was arrested Tuesday, accused of scheming to enrich himself by selling Obama's open seat for cash or a lucrative job for himself. The governor has authority to appoint the replacement....