PDA

View Full Version : Black hole confirmed in Milky Way

Noir
12-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Watched a program about this recently, super-massive black holes, once thought to be just myth are 'alive' and well.

There is a giant black hole at the centre of our galaxy, a study has confirmed.

German astronomers tracked the movement of 28 stars circling the centre of the Milky Way, using two telescopes in Chile.

The black hole is four million times more massive than our Sun, according to the paper in The Astrophysical Journal.

Black holes are objects whose gravity is so great that nothing - including light - can escape them.

According to Dr Robert Massey, of the Royal Astronomical Society (RAS), the results suggest that galaxies form around giant black holes in the way that a pearl forms around grit.

'The black pearl'

Dr Massey said: "Although we think of black holes as somehow threatening, in the sense that if you get too close to one you are in trouble, they may have had a role in helping galaxies to form - not just our own, but all galaxies.
Linky http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7774287.stm

darin
12-10-2008, 02:05 PM
The more and more science finds the easier it is to believe in a Creator. :)

Noir
12-10-2008, 02:10 PM
The super massive black hole makes the idea of a creator easier because?....we knew that (in theroy) we'd need some sort of massive black hole to act as a star factory, we have now found the factory.

darin
12-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Science POINTS to a creator, friend. Across the board.

Noir
12-10-2008, 02:21 PM
I don't believe so, i believe quite the opposite, the more we learn the less need we have for gods,

there was a time when man didn't understand why the sun crossed the sky, so man believed it was a god pulling the sun, science later proved it wasn't.
There was a time when man did not understand why earthquakes happened, so it was blamed on gods, science later proved it wasn't.

The 2 main keys left are the creation of the universe and what happens after death, as we do not yet know gods are used to explain, but one day we will know.

darin
12-10-2008, 02:30 PM
I remember that time - when man believed the earth was flat - while people of faith knew otherwise...

But for today - with each new discovery man is ultimately drawn towards the existence of a Creator. With each new thing we THINK we know, we're shown in ever-increasing obviousness, His existence.

What If, say, 10 years ago I was to argue God is faster than light. Most scientists would easily dismiss it because they believed NOTHING could be faster than light. Now we know that's not the case.

Yurt
12-10-2008, 02:43 PM
i recently discovered a massive black hole on my desk...

Noir
12-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Nothing can move faster than light, projects like the HCL and liner acceleration gun prove such, however, in theroy object *could* move out of phase, this would give the illusion of moving faster than light, but when looked into you would realise it is not. Also phases would be a big blow against the god theroy, i mean, why would a god create phases inwhich he would not exist?

darin
12-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Nothing can move faster than light, projects like the HCL and liner acceleration gun prove such, however, in theroy object *could* move out of phase, this would give the illusion of moving faster than light, but when looked into you would realise it is not.

Really?

Scientists have finally exceeded the speed of light, causing a light pulse to travel hundreds of times faster than normal.
It raced so fast the pulse exited a specially-prepared chamber before it even finished entering it.

The experiment is the first-ever evidence of faster-than-light motion.
:D (http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2000/07/20/speedlight000720.html)

Also phases would be a big blow against the god theroy, i mean, why would a god create phases inwhich he would not exist?

What are phases?

Look, it's REALLY fine for me if you have the kind of faith it takes to believe all this happened by pure, random chance. I, on the other hand, and plenty others, have seen lots of data. We've seen discovery after discovery. From the smallest Cell to the largest solarsystem - the order in our universe and designs of biological and scientific 'systems' lend to a Creator. Just makes sense.

manu1959
12-10-2008, 05:50 PM
i recently discovered a massive black hole on my desk...

i dated a black hole at university.....

Noir
12-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Really?

What are phases?

Look, it's REALLY fine for me if you have the kind of faith it takes to believe all this happened by pure, random chance. I, on the other hand, and plenty others, have seen lots of data. We've seen discovery after discovery. From the smallest Cell to the largest solarsystem - the order in our universe and designs of biological and scientific 'systems' lend to a Creator. Just makes sense.

Right, can I have a link to that source you quoted, cus it sounds like a load of tosh to me, hundreds of time faster than the speed of light...yeah right.

I did hear of an experienent where a man got a photon partical toove at the speed of light, i.e instant travel, but it proved to be a lie, as he was using ever shortening packet trains of photons.

As for 'what are phases' to try and keep it as simple as possible, imagin that we are not the only universe, but that there are countless universes, and not only do they happen at the same time as ours, but they happen in the samE place. Everything in our universe has a set frequency, so we can see it, feel it ect. However there are also other frequencies that we can not detect.

Take for example a radio. If you have it set to 'channel one radio' that is all the radio can detect. But if you change the frequency you can detect other radio stations, but then you lose 'channel one radio'.

The sum of all this is what if items could change their frequency, to us they would disapear, but they would still be where they are, just on a different frequency.

It's quite difficult to try and explain in words but sure YouTube can provide much better ezplinations, tis truly amazing and awe inspiring to think about.

Also as far as god and phases goes (also known as string theroy or chaos theroy) there is a universe for every possibility of chance and probibility, so why would a god create such a system? And what effect would that have on heaven and hell ect.

Also if we can prove this theroie then you can also give a reason for the big bang, the fusion of phases, and you may say that all of this relies on chance, but when you have an unlimited number of chances and an unlimited time to do it in then the odds are really very good, infact they're certain.

darin
12-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Right, can I have a link to that source you quoted, cus it sounds like a load of tosh to me, hundreds of time faster than the speed of light...yeah right.

Link was provided! It's there. :)

As for 'what are phases' to try and keep it as simple as possible, imagine that we are not the only universe, but that there are countless universes, and not only do they happen at the same time as ours, but they happen in the samE place. Everything in our universe has a set frequency, so we can see it, feel it ect. However there are also other frequencies that we can not detect.

Take for example a radio. If you have it set to 'channel one radio' that is all the radio can detect. But if you change the frequency you can detect other radio stations, but then you lose 'channel one radio'.

The sum of all this is what if items could change their frequency, to us they would disapear, but they would still be where they are, just on a different frequency.

It's quite difficult to try and explain in words but sure YouTube can provide much better ezplinations, tis truly amazing and awe inspiring to think about.

Also as far as god and phases goes (also known as string theroy or chaos theroy) there is a universe for every possibility of chance and probibility, so why would a god create such a system? And what effect would that have on heaven and hell ect.

Also if we can prove this theroie then you can also give a reason for the big bang, the fusion of phases, and you may say that all of this relies on chance, but when you have an unlimited number of chances and an unlimited time to do it in then the odds are really very good, infact they're certain.

You could have just said multiple dimensions, etc....(shrug).

And those aren't incompatible with the notion of God.

Psychoblues
12-10-2008, 07:55 PM
I bet Neil Tyson DeGrasse is going bananas on this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Noir
12-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Link was provided! It's there. :)

You could have just said multiple dimensions, etc....(shrug).

And those aren't incompatible with the notion of God.

Indeedy, sorry didn't realise the smilie was a link, well i'm not sure what to make of the report, it says that it is able to achive speeds greater than the speed of light, be only when using "a pulse of light, a group of waves with no mass, to go faster than light" waves *do* have mass, as they are made of photons of light (if we are using visible light as an example) to get light to go faster than the speed of light you would have to charge it with more energy than it could normaly achive, but by increasing its energy you increase its mass, ergo you can never get faster than the speed of light.

Also the story is about 8-9 years old, i'm sure if it was a massive or credible break through then we'd know about it.

And phases/multiple dimensions/ parallel universes are incompatible with God, as through them you would have countlesss billions of universes with no gods (an others with many)

SpidermanTUba
01-07-2009, 10:59 AM
The more and more science finds the easier it is to believe in a Creator. :)

????

What does a creator have to do with any of this? How does the existence or lack of a black hole at the center of the galaxy have anything to do with a Creator? It tells us something about how galaxies form - it has nothing to do with god one way or the other.

SpidermanTUba
01-07-2009, 11:00 AM
What If, say, 10 years ago I was to argue God is faster than light. Most scientists would easily dismiss it because they believed NOTHING could be faster than light. Now we know that's not the case.

Actually most scientists would tell you that your argument is scientifically meaningless.

johnney
01-24-2009, 10:15 AM
well lets think about it, its the milky way. are we sure that its a black hole? maybe its a giant oreo