PDA

View Full Version : The root of Liberalism - never fight back against evil. Create dialogs maybe?

darin
12-10-2008, 02:49 PM
One of the greatest injustices of our time is the failure to teach our children that SOME things are worth fighting - and ulitmately, if need be, dying for.

But others think the last thing you want to teach young kids is how
to fight off an intruder with a gun.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,464848,00.html

A proposal to teach children as young as 10 years old to fight back against a classroom gunman is causing quite a stir in a small town in Massachusetts.

The Georgetown Public Schools in Georgetown, Mass., are considering a proposal to teach kids to fend off a gunman with backpacks or textbooks as part of a proposal to revamp their "Code Blue" safety policy.

Those who support the idea say it may seem extreme, but it could save a child's life.

Georgetown Police Chief James E. Mulligan told FOXNews.com the proposed technique was intended to be a "last ditch" thing to be used in cases where a gunman has been able to thwart police and get inside a classroom alone with students.

But others think the last thing you want to teach young kids is how to fight off an intruder with a gun.

"To put that expectation on young, emotional, scared, frightened children is really a slippery slope," says Kenneth Trump, the president of National School Safety and Security Services. "It has a high risk and higher probability of escalating a situation than it would to neutralize the situation."

The controversy began when the district's school resource officer, Derek Jones, proposed the training in a memo after hearing it had been used in schools in Florida.

"[He] was starting the conversation with us to say, well, ‘Do we want the kids to sit there and literally have the gunman be able to shoot them one at a time? Or do we want to allow instincts to kick in and basically allow them to protect themselves against the threat?'" Carol Jacobs, the district superintendent, told FOXNews.com.

Des
12-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Besides the whole liberal thing, I wholeheartedly agree. Having kids made this pretty evident, especially when I realized that if someone wanted to hurt me, I couldn't really protect them. With knowledge and self-discipline, and in the right hands, a gun or any other weapon is harmless. My husband is required to take self defense classes per his job, but I chose kung-fu and my kids will be doing karate when they are 4. Why? Because it's a way I can help prepare them for life. As for guns, we cannot have any right now.

I think...I know people in this country value life in some pretty twisted ways that don't go hand in hand with nature. We don't want to work, don't want to fight, and don't want to realize that it doesn't really matter how peaceful we are, the "bad guys" don't care. We've become the top species with little to fear, so we think we can completely abandon basic ideas like self-defense and how vital it is.

Psychoblues
12-10-2008, 09:59 PM
I don't think any of that shit has anything to do with "liberalism", dimples. I have been at least a social liberal for about all my life but I am also a veteran of our armed forces and several of our wars and would return to that field of endeavor if I was convinced that my country needed me and they would accept me in my present age and physical condition.

About every "liberal" with whom I am close feels pretty much the same way. I thinketh you put just a tad too much faith in the ridiculous words and writings found at faux news outlets.

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

Hobbit
12-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Besides the whole liberal thing, I wholeheartedly agree. Having kids made this pretty evident, especially when I realized that if someone wanted to hurt me, I couldn't really protect them. With knowledge and self-discipline, and in the right hands, a gun or any other weapon is harmless. My husband is required to take self defense classes per his job, but I chose kung-fu and my kids will be doing karate when they are 4. Why? Because it's a way I can help prepare them for life. As for guns, we cannot have any right now.

I think...I know people in this country value life in some pretty twisted ways that don't go hand in hand with nature. We don't want to work, don't want to fight, and don't want to realize that it doesn't really matter how peaceful we are, the "bad guys" don't care. We've become the top species with little to fear, so we think we can completely abandon basic ideas like self-defense and how vital it is.

Bah, screw karate. That's a sport. If you want the kids to learn how to fight, go with Unified Fighting Arts, Jeet Kune Do, or one of the following.

Shameless plug for article I wrote about martial arts... (http://www.cracked.com/article_16595_6-great-martial-arts-killing-man-with-your-bare-hands.html)

Des
12-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Bah, screw karate. That's a sport. If you want the kids to learn how to fight, go with Unified Fighting Arts, Jeet Kune Do, or one of the following.

Shameless plug for article I wrote about martial arts... (http://www.cracked.com/article_16595_6-great-martial-arts-killing-man-with-your-bare-hands.html)

;)...I actually really liked your article. When they are of age, we won't be in the US, so our options will be pretty limited.