PDA

View Full Version : Chu to be energy secretary

Psychoblues
12-11-2008, 01:14 AM
How revolutionary!!!!!!!!!!!!! An actual energy scientist as the Secretary of Energy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Domenico Montanaro
Filed Under: Obama WH Transition

From NBC's Savannah Guthrie
Obama will name Steven Chu his choice for Energy secretary, Lisa Jackson for EPA administrator and Carol Browner as energy "czar" reporting to the president.

It is unclear whether the Browner position is cabinet level.

This will not be officially announced this week.

There will be a news conference tomorrow to announce the Health and Human Services secretary -- expected to be Tom Daschle........................

More: http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/12/10/1710247.aspx

Amazing how competence changes things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

PostmodernProphet
12-11-2008, 06:59 AM
Amazing how competence changes things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

interesting....what change have you experienced?......

theHawk
12-12-2008, 12:50 AM
So this is the guy who is going to invent Obama's magical replacement for fossil fuels. Can't wait to see it happen.

Psychoblues
12-12-2008, 01:18 AM
I haven't heard either President Obama or Doctor Chu refer to any "magical" solutions as you suggest, huk. Could you give me a heads up or a link on where they have?

So this is the guy who is going to invent Obama's magical replacement for fossil fuels. Can't wait to see it happen.

Or are you just too caught up in your own naivete's and superstitions?!?!??!??!

Psychoblues

Psychoblues
12-12-2008, 01:20 AM
I'm a complete incompetent here, pmp.

interesting....what change have you experienced?......

No changes planned or expected on this level, don't you know?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

Psychoblues

12-12-2008, 02:45 AM
Do we need an energy secretary? And why would we ask a scholar to be the energy secretary rather than someone who actually produced energy and understands how that works?

Psychoblues
12-12-2008, 02:57 AM
How about a genuine scientist, a Nobel laureate in physics whose specialties are in energy?

Do we need an energy secretary? And why would we ask a scholar to be the energy secretary rather than someone who actually produced energy and understands how that works?

Would that make you feel better about life in general, a'21?

Psychoblues

12-12-2008, 01:06 PM
How about a genuine scientist, a Nobel laureate in physics whose specialties are in energy?

Would that make you feel better about life in general, a'21?

Psychoblues

We need someone who actually knows how to produce energy, not just theory.

Noir
12-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Do we need an energy secretary?

We need someone who actually knows how to produce energy, not just theory.

Well you seem to think ya's need one.

And why are you judging this man already? He is there to advise, he seems a very wise man, if you ask me ya's are lucky that you can apoint guys like him, i wish we could over here.

And why would we ask a scholar to be the energy secretary rather than someone who actually produced energy and understands how that works?

He is a man at the front of his field, and he's not good enough?

namvet
12-12-2008, 03:41 PM
haven't you heard???? your all gonna be fitted for butt hose's:lol:

12-12-2008, 08:57 PM
Well you seem to think ya's need one.

And why are you judging this man already? He is there to advise, he seems a very wise man, if you ask me ya's are lucky that you can apoint guys like him, i wish we could over here.

He is a man at the front of his field, and he's not good enough?

To clarify, im not sure we need one, however, if we did, id prefer someone who actually generates energy rather than someone who knows theory.

Noir
12-12-2008, 09:04 PM
To clarify, im not sure we need one, however, if we did, id prefer someone who actually generates energy rather than someone who knows theory.

So who exactly? A CEO of a private energy company?
Remember advisors are not meant to have agendas.
So who would you apoint? I'm not asking for specific names, just a discription of the persons job will do.

Yurt
12-12-2008, 09:05 PM

so you would tell your potential clients that a person who just or recently past the bar of state X should not be your preferable lawyer as he or she probably doesn't generate legal work, but knows the theory of law?

my point.....

are we really squabbling about experience vs ivory tower here? if so, i would say, depends on the person and sometimes a little bit a both is good.

stephanie
12-12-2008, 09:22 PM
I saw an article on this dude where he said "COAL" was his biggest nightmare..

so we should be blessed with higher electric bills soon..yipppeee

12-12-2008, 09:24 PM
so you would tell your potential clients that a person who just or recently past the bar of state X should not be your preferable lawyer as he or she probably doesn't generate legal work, but knows the theory of law?

my point.....

are we really squabbling about experience vs ivory tower here? if so, i would say, depends on the person and sometimes a little bit a both is good.

If I was hiring someone to run a law firm, it wouldnt be someone just out of law school. It would be someone with experience.

stephanie
12-12-2008, 09:40 PM
December 11, 2008, 3:18 pm
Steven Chu: ‘Coal is My Worst Nightmare’
Posted by Keith Johnson
So Steven Chu, President-elect Obama’s likely choice to head the Department of Energy, is a proponent of energy efficiency and conservation as the first step in rejigging America’s energy mix. But since conservation alone won’t do it, what are his ideas about finding new supplies of energy?

Dr. Chu’s marquee work at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory is the Helios Project. That’s an effort to tackle what Dr. Chu sees as the biggest energy challenge facing the U.S.: transportation. That’s because it’s a huge drain on U.S. coffers and an environmental albatross, Dr. Chu says.

Helios has focused largely on biofuels—but not the bog-standard kind made from corn and sugar. The Energy Biosciences Institute, a joint effort funded by BP, is looking to make second-generation biofuels more viable. Among the approaches? Researching new ways to break down stubborn cellulosic feedstocks to improve the economics of next-generation biofuels, and finding new kinds of yeast to boost fermentation and make biofuels more plentiful while reducing their environmental impact.

What about other energy sources? Big Coal won’t be very happy if Dr. Chu gets confirmed as head of the DOE—he’s really, really not a big fan. “Coal is my worst nightmare,” he said repeatedly in a speech earlier this year outlining his lab’s alternative-energy approaches.

If coal is to stay part of the world’s energy mix, he says, clean-coal technologies must be developed. But he’s not very optimistic: “It’s not guaranteed we have a solution for coal,” he concluded, given the sheer scope of the challenge of economically storing billions of tons of carbon dioxide emissions underground.

Worried about radioactivity? Coal’s still your bogeyman. Dr. Chu says a typical coal plant emits 100 times more radiation than a nuclear plant, given the flyash emissions of radioactive particles.

That doesn’t mean nuclear power is much better. “The waste and proliferation issues [surrounding nuclear power] still haven’t been completely solved,” he said. A big part of the Department of Energy’s job is to oversee nuclear weapons and waste storage. And the Obama campaign made clear that increased reliance on nuclear power will require finding a “safe” way to dispose of radioactive waste.

How about renewable energy? Dr. Chu already had a taste of Washington power-brokering, in a briefing with current Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman and Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson. He pitched them on the idea of an interstate electricity transmission system to be paid for by ratepayers. That would solve one of the biggest hurdles to wide-spread adoption of clean energy like wind and solar power.

comments at..http://blogs.wsj.com/environmentalcapital/2008/12/11/steven-chu-coal-is-my-worst-nightmare/

12-12-2008, 09:54 PM
wow... looks like Obama might keep his promise of putting the coal industry out of business.

Psychoblues
12-13-2008, 05:12 PM
:lol:

I think he said that he would pursue methods and sourses beyond carbon based fuels in an effort to produce cleaner, cheaper, nationally secure and more reliable energy. But, maybe you have something that even beats what is already being considered?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??! There are patent offices and thousands of industrial entities that would very much be interested in your well reasoned and clearly demonstrated as viable suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or are you just running your tater trap about things that you know little to nothing about?!?!?!?????!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

How about a corn based alcohol refreshment?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!??!!?

White Lightnin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

theHawk
12-14-2008, 11:08 AM
I haven't heard either President Obama or Doctor Chu refer to any "magical" solutions as you suggest, huk. Could you give me a heads up or a link on where they have?

Or are you just too caught up in your own naivete's and superstitions?!?!??!??!

Psychoblues

Obama has on many occasions stated we do not need to drill for more oil while at the same time saying we need to get off foreign oil. This would take an abundant source of energy to replace gasoline permenately. He has not stated what energy source this would be. He claims to want to change the entire nation's infrastructure and the fuel it runs on without telling us what it will be. Thats what makes it "magical" for some of us.

If he does what he has promised then I will applaud him for it. So like I said, I am waiting anxiously for him to reveal this unknown energy source that can replace gasoline forever.

namvet
12-14-2008, 11:33 AM
we have enough to sell back to OPEC. at a hugh profit:coffee:

Psychoblues
12-16-2008, 07:01 PM
I listen to about everything that is available that Obama has to say and I don't agree that he has ever said what you intimate, huk. Perhaps you can get me straight on that with perhaps a comprehensive link to his attitudes on the subject.

Obama has on many occasions stated we do not need to drill for more oil while at the same time saying we need to get off foreign oil. This would take an abundant source of energy to replace gasoline permenately. He has not stated what energy source this would be. He claims to want to change the entire nation's infrastructure and the fuel it runs on without telling us what it will be. Thats what makes it "magical" for some of us.

If he does what he has promised then I will applaud him for it. So like I said, I am waiting anxiously for him to reveal this unknown energy source that can replace gasoline forever.

Our industries, both manufacturing and energy producing, have known for many years the finite condition of carbon based fuels. They have also known for many years the environmentally destructive nature of burning carbon based fuels. While some have searched for reasonable uses and methods of alternatives the vast majority have simply ignored the facts and even reversed technologies and programs that would have gone a long way towards making our country safer by being more energy self sufficient and environmentally friendly at even this time.

We all have known for some time these things and I would submit that no later than NOW is the time to get serious about our research, resource accumulations and attention on these tremendously important topics. In fact, I think it is no longer an option to continue the ignorance of the past but absolutely necessary to develope and as immediately as possible make available to the population better and more available technologies and whether they be more expensive or less expensive depends largely on our innovativeness and our economies of scale.

Thanks in advance for a more serious and factual conversation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I get you a cool one to settle the thoughts and steady the nerve?!???!??!?!?!?!?!

Psychoblues