PDA

View Full Version : *CREEPY and WRONG* Now scientists create a sheep that's 15% human

-Cp
03-25-2007, 09:15 PM
http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=444436&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=

loosecannon
03-25-2007, 09:41 PM
I hate to burst your bubble, but pigs are 80% genetically identical to humans and chimps are 99.5% genetically identical to humans.

Sheep are almost certainly more than 15% genetically identical to humans already.

1/2 human organs are not human organs. They are sheep organs that contain injected human stem cells.

That is a far, far cry from crossing a human with a sheep.

The best analogy I can think of is that of placing a fertile human egg inside a sheep for gestation. The baby will be born 100% human, but after living inside a sheep for 9 months.

What is perhaps creepy is where this kind of technology could lead in 10 years.

03-25-2007, 10:27 PM
Did you hear the latest news?

Al Gore was seriously disturbed when scientists created manbearpig.

gabosaurus
03-25-2007, 11:01 PM
So what? We have a president who is less human than that.

loosecannon
03-25-2007, 11:03 PM
So what? We have a president who is less human than that.

We have a president?!?!

gabosaurus
03-25-2007, 11:05 PM
We have a president?!?!
When he is not on vacation...

Hobbit
03-26-2007, 01:19 AM
When you two finish sucking each other off, do you think you could try reading the article and commenting on it?

loosecannon
03-26-2007, 11:26 AM
When you two finish sucking each other off, do you think you could try reading the article and commenting on it?

Cute Hobbit. unfortunately you haven't taken your own advice, and I appear to have already commented on the thread topic.

Hobbit
03-26-2007, 11:34 AM
Cute Hobbit. unfortunately you haven't taken your own advice, and I appear to have already commented on the thread topic.

Yeah, and then you and gabby decided to derail the thing and use it to make fun of the President...again.

And if you'd actually read the article more closely, you wouldn't make the idiotic assertion that the organs in the sheep aren't hybrid. The article itself says the things are manipulated enough that they can be used by both sheep and humans.

And that statistic about how genetically close we are to certain animals is pretty inane, too. If you knew anything about cellular biology, you'd know that nearly all DNA controls the function of individual cells, and only a relatively small portion controls organs and organ systems. That 'tiny difference' in the DNA is enough to form complex circulatory systems and brains capable of logic.

loosecannon
03-26-2007, 12:04 PM
And if you'd actually read the article more closely, you wouldn't make the idiotic assertion that the organs in the sheep aren't hybrid. The article itself says the things are manipulated enough that they can be used by both sheep and humans.

I don't make idiotic assertions. I leave that to Bushbots. And autofelators.

The fact that they are manipulated enough so that someday they might be useful by both sheep and humans doesn't make them human. Plastic joints aren't human either and they are implanted daily. Along with metal pins and stainless/teflon heart valves.

nearly all DNA controls the function of individual cells, and only a relatively small portion controls organs and organ systems. That 'tiny difference' in the DNA is enough to form complex circulatory systems and brains capable of logic.

That tiny difference is huge( my very point Einstein), so is the difference between human cells injected into sheep and a sheeple hybrid.

gabosaurus
03-26-2007, 02:10 PM
No one needs to make fun of Bush. He does a pretty good job of that on his own.

Hobbit
03-26-2007, 02:39 PM
I don't make idiotic assertions. I leave that to Bushbots. And autofelators.

The fact that they are manipulated enough so that someday they might be useful by both sheep and humans doesn't make them human. Plastic joints aren't human either and they are implanted daily. Along with metal pins and stainless/teflon heart valves.

You came off sounding like the whole thing's no big deal. This creature is part human, no matter how small that part may be, and that is not just another medical advancement, but could lead to a whole heap of ethics issues.

5stringJeff
03-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Anyone ever see "The Island" with Scarlett Johanssen? She's reason enough to see the movie, but the whole thing deals with these types of issues.

Gaffer
03-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Anyone ever see "The Island" with Scarlett Johanssen? She's reason enough to see the movie, but the whole thing deals with these types of issues.

I saw that, they grow human clones as body parts. Good movie.

loosecannon
03-26-2007, 04:39 PM
You came off sounding like the whole thing's no big deal.

No you drew silly conclusions without really reading what I said.

This creature is part human, no matter how small that part may be, and that is not just another medical advancement, but could lead to a whole heap of ethics issues.

This could easily lead to ethics issues, serious ones. It is already flirting with them.

But ethics are moral judgements.

The creature isn't a human anymore than a human with an artificial heart is an android. Or anymore than a surrogate mother is reproducing.

You are what you eat. Which makes you a cow a chicken and a lotta other barnyard animals.

But that doesn't bother your ethics at all.

Does it bother your ethics to eat beans that have genes from beetles implanted? (hypothetical, don't bother to answer it) what about taking medicines that are grown in yeast cells with strange genes spliced into their dna?

The sheep can not reproduce another sheeple by mating. It is still a sheep.

It is no big deal unless you make it one.

KitchenKitten99
03-26-2007, 05:02 PM
where's PETA on this? Wouldn't they be the ones that would protest this, saying we are raising animals for their organs, and not just to eat?

Gaffer
03-26-2007, 05:10 PM
I think based on what I have read so far is the scientists are looking for ways to use the sheep to grow certain human usable body parts for transplants. A generic part that can be accepted in any person without worry about rejection. This could be a boon to transplant surgery as they don't have to look for a compatable doner. I don't see any ethics problems with using genes and dna to do this. They are not taking a life or using embryos. They are also not creating a life to be destroyed.

Gaffer
03-26-2007, 05:15 PM
where's PETA on this? Wouldn't they be the ones that would protest this, saying we are raising animals for their organs, and not just to eat?

peta will be having a cow....so to speak.

loosecannon
03-26-2007, 11:04 PM
I think based on what I have read so far is the scientists are looking for ways to use the sheep to grow certain human usable body parts for transplants. A generic part that can be accepted in any person without worry about rejection. This could be a boon to transplant surgery as they don't have to look for a compatable doner. I don't see any ethics problems with using genes and dna to do this. They are not taking a life or using embryos. They are also not creating a life to be destroyed.

Well I don't have a prob yet either, but that doesn't mean I won't.

Important facts are: there is absolutely no reason yet to assume that rejection will not occur routinely, yet.

The sheep are still 100% sheep. Only the cells in the sheeps organs are human and bear human DNA.

On the other hand....did you know that by dry weight the majority of the dna in every human being body is NOT human DNA?

In cell biology, a mitochondrion (plural mitochondria) (from Greek μιτος or mitos, thread + κουδριον or khondrion, granule) is a membrane-enclosed organelle, found in most eukaryotic cells.[1] Mitochondria are sometimes described as "cellular power plants," because they convert NADH and NADPH into energy in the form of ATP via the process of oxidative phosphorylation. A typical eukaryotic cell contains about 2,000 mitochondria, which occupy roughly one fifth of its total volume.[2] Mitochondria contain DNA that is independent of the DNA located in the cell nucleus. According to the endosymbiotic theory, mitochondria are descended from free-living prokaryotes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitocondria