PDA

View Full Version : New data: High-Fructose Corn Syrup No Worse Than Sugar

Psychoblues
12-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!! Is this just junk science or have they really stumbled onto something significant that dispels claims by the sugar producers and sellers that corn syrup is responsible for unhealthy conditions amongst those with higher consumption rates of the chemical?

By Elizabeth Weise, USA TODAY

In 2004, three researchers published a paper in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition suggesting the rise in obesity might be linked to the rise in consumption of high-fructose corn syrup. The paper led to a wave of research and a chorus of popular concern over the cheap, ubiquitous liquid sweetener.
The hypothesis was controversial and launched a backlash against the corn-based sweetener, which because of agricultural subsidies for corn in the USA was much cheaper than cane or beet sugar. It became nutritional dogma in some circles that sugar was healthy, and high-fructose corn syrup was not.

Now, the tide of research, if not public opinion, has shifted. This week, five papers published in a supplement to Clinical Nutrition find no special link between consumption of high-fructose corn syrup and obesity. One paper was written by Barry Popkin, a co-author on the original 2004 paper.

"It doesn't appear that when you consume high-fructose corn syrup, you have any different total effect on appetite than if you consume any other sugar," he says.............................................. .....................

More: http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-12-08-fructose-corn-syrup_N.htm

Who'd a thunk it?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

darin
12-12-2008, 08:36 AM
I won't hold my breath - Sugar companies will likely fund research showing the opposite in the coming months.

PostmodernProphet
12-12-2008, 10:43 AM
basically.....corn syrup is as bad for you as cane sugar......neither is good....the study didn't say there was no link between corn syrup and obesity, it said there was no difference between the link between corns syrup/obesity and cane sugar/obesity.....

Abbey Marie
12-12-2008, 01:11 PM
I think there is a link between this:

http://www.gnurf.net/v3/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/027-eating-pizza.png

and obesity.

Hobbit
12-12-2008, 02:44 PM
I don't give a damn which one's 'healthier.' Corn syrup tastes like horse squeeze next to cane sugar and I'm not forced to pay for cane sugar by the imperial federal government either.

5stringJeff
12-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Can we please end agricultural subsidies and let the market decide which sweetener is best?

Des
12-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Of course it's not worse than sugar, all "natural" sweeteners are -basically- the same thing. We don't do hfcs here because 1) corn is in over 40 percent of the food supply already 2) the corn used for the syrup is genetically modified and 3) it's a sweetener. Like anything, in moderate amounts, it isn't going to really do anything.

PostmodernProphet
12-13-2008, 03:45 PM
as an owner of a quarter section of good Iowa corn growing dirt, I love subsidies....

Psychoblues
12-13-2008, 04:43 PM
:lol:

Get 'em while you can, pmp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Refreshment?!??!?!?!?!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues